How is Nintendo successful?

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

VG_Addict

How is Nintendo successful?

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:55 pm

How is Nintendo so successful when they're consistently behind the times, whether it's media format (cartridges instead of CDs) or online?

Apollo the Just

Re: How is Nintendo successful?

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:45 pm

im having vivid flashbacks to the 800 different versions of this exact same thread that IRHP made in like 2009-2011

they make good games, market themselves as family-oriented, consistently innovate, and have incredibly successful exclusive IP's. next question

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:19 pm

Dark dealings with unholy forces like Pepsi.

Sonic 5 Golden Rings

Post by Sonic 5 Golden Rings » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Apollo the Just wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:45 pm
they make good games, market themselves as family-oriented, consistently innovate, and have incredibly successful exclusive IP's. next question
This. They fill a niche that Sony and Microsoft don't. They're one of the few companies that are happy to make a lot of money instead of all the money.

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:23 pm

the real question is "How are Sony and MIcrosoft so successful?"

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:51 pm

I don't think it's fair to say that Nintendo is behind the times. They don't play follow the leader in the way so much of the rest of the industry does, and that sometimes leads to baffling decisions like friend codes, but they're very good at spotting profitable niches, and their slightly insane approach to hardware development leads to Wiis or GameBoys more often than it does Wii Us. You could argue that Nintendo is behind the industry because its connected services are comparatively weak or that the industry is behind Nintendo because there still aren't any serious AAA competitors to massive successes like Pokemon or Super Smash Bros, but I think both arguments miss the point. The rest of the AAA industry isn't trying to be Nintendo, and Nintendo isn't trying to be the rest of the AAA industry. Any attempt to compare them by one or the other's standards is going to end badly.

And that really does go both ways. Sony and Microsoft are successful because they're offering something a lot of people want in a way that neither Nintendo nor mobile can consistently provide, and they're doing it cheaper than a PC. Not everyone wants Mario in the same way that not everyone wants Halo.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:07 pm

Why do people pay three times as much for Macs which by most measures are inferior products? Of course, they fall flat on their faces more often than not, but right now they have another successful gimmick. Though even relative failure usually isn't that big a deal for Nintendo because people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo products and are willing to pay accordingly.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:12 pm

idk I thought they would have gone 3rd party by now tbh

mushroom

Post by mushroom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:39 pm

Very carefully, OP.

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:38 am

I would call them successful. I wouldn't call them so successful. Their stock price dropped almost 25 percent in the past 3 months before barely leveling off. I think they're riding a roller coaster of stupid decisions mixed with good decisions. Things have been generally good but when it rains it pours

I think they've been left in the dust, to be honest. They're full of dreamers. I have to agree with @@Sonic 5
They're one of the few companies that are happy to make a lot of money instead of all the money.
I might also add that this holds them back and leaves them open to trying to generate revenue through standing out which either crashes and burns or soars.

Microsoft is set to have an evaluation of 1 trillion dollars possibly by 2020. Nintendo has gone from a mid-cap to a large-cap company since early 2014.

I think their stock price is extremely overvalued when you look at companies who have greater annual growth with lower valuations. Plus all of this hinges on if the switch is successful through the next 2 years. I just feel like betting all your money on one horse is a dumb move.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:45 pm

Other than online, can you name what else Nintendo is behind on?

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:04 pm

First comes branding. When you hear the word "Nintendo," you can immediately picture Mario and Link and Pikachu. These various first-party IPs have dedicated fanbases. The fact that you can even have a game series like Super Smash Bros - which was originally 100% first party characters - and people still complaing that X character should be in the game and X series isn't represented enough speaks volumes to their success in that category.

These series also have various merchandise abd peripherals to go with them.

Next comes focusing on the quality of the games over the quality of the hardware. This has been one of Nintendo's core philosophies for a long time. Regardless of your opinions of individual titles, games from Nintendo's first party IPs are consistently well-received by critics and fans alike. The last time they had the most powerful hardware - correct me if I'm wrong - was the Super NES.

Perhaps the easiest example of this is the Wii. It was less powerful than the PS3 and XBox 360, but it cost less to manufacture, cost less to consumers, and hooked in people with the motion controls.

Oh, there's also the whole "no one is anywhere near as successful as them in the handheld market" thing, with the Game Boys and DSs and whatnot. The orginal Game Boy is also worth noting as an example of less powerful hardware dominating the marketplace.

This is all done under one umbrella.

If you want to play Mario, you need a Nintendo. If you have a Nintendo, you will want to buy games for it. Seriously, even with the occasional financial flop like the Wii U, Nintendo would not be doing anywhere near as well third party.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:52 am

One other things people tend to not give credit for.... is that they were actually cheaper than some of their competition.

I know, for all that crap people give Nintendo for being "too expensive" because their games almost never have price drops, and the Switch didn't come with a game, they actually tend to be a pretty cheap option outside of the PC. (Since a lot of PC games don't need a top-of-the-line PC to play them - especially with indie gaming being what it is now.)

Ever since the transition to CD and with less emphasis on trying to match what Sony and Microsoft are doing, they've massively undercut everyone else in the hardware department.

One of the reasons the Game Boy caught on so much (at least, after Pokémon - it actually wasn't that popular until Pokémon.) was... it was cheap. It cost double digits at launch - its other competitors like the Game Gear, Lynx, etc were triple digits. In 80s-90s money. The other reason aside from the low price and Pokémon was that the game boy wasn't an utter battery hog. The Game Gear looked sweet... but that thing chewed through batteries MAD.

The Wii U undercut the PS4 and XB1 - and the only reason the switch didn't undercut the basic models (keyword: basic) at launch is because by 2017, the XB1 and PS4 were about three-four years old. At launch? They cost more than the switch... and didn't even come with a game. (I know, odd how nobody seems to remember that, right?) Even recently, they're starting to learn their lesson and are allowing their systems to accept non-proprietary cards. I can use a third party SD card on my Switch and 3DS, and it'll work. I couldn't on the Vita. (and those things were ****ing expensive.)

Nintendo was also pretty notoriously behind the time when it came to DLC. While most people were trying to sell you WAJ (Worthless Aesthetic Junk), preorder bonuses, and DLC that consisted of nothing but clothing, Nintendo was... not doing that. :V They've been releasing Downloadable Content - things like optional maps to play on, extra characters to play, and stuff made to enhance the game and not "complete" it. (Regardless of your opinion about Fire Emblem)

The keyword is was - they seem to be getting into the whole "Worthless Aesthetic Junk" and "microtransaction" thing and even released a few games with season passes. They're even charging you for online. (And again undercutting their competitors. It's $60/yr for PS+ and XBL... Nintendo is $20. Damn, SO greedy.)

I personally find their lack of understanding kinda refreshing. I like being able to play Breath of the Wild and not have to get online for the game to authenticate my servers and the like. I like being able to play splatoon and not have to mute my entire team because xxXbanditxX is screaming at everyone, WannabeDJ is blaring music over his microphone, and Edgelordxx is breathing in his microphone like Darth Vader and eating something crunchy. And I loved getting Xenoblade 2... and knowing that I get a fully complete game and that there's no "True ending" DLC, and the only DLC I'll have to pay for is downloadable CONTENT in the "Golden Land of Torna". (Which is closer to an expansion pack.) I loved playing Ever Oasis knowing I'll never have to open a lootbox to get some piece of Worthless Aesthetic Junk. I loved playing Octopath Traveler (yes I know not a Nintendo game, though they published it outside of JP) without having to hurry up because xxXbanditxX is getting bored then stop because xxXbanditxX is lagging, and then not play for awhile because xxXbanditxX doesn't want me getting too far ahead of him.

Now to say they're the only ones who don't "folow modern trends" is disingenuous. CD Projekt Red also hasn't put in lootcrates for Random Access WAJ. Sony published God of War recently - a single player game with AAA values that people wanted. (and gaming journalism was somehow surprised that people did want this...) Indie games also tend to be released fully complete. Hell, speaking of Indies... I think Nintendo needs to really capitalize on their indie scene. The Vita had a TONNE of indie games, but because Sony of America and Europe did the bare minimum for marketing it (and our retailers besides Best Buy HATED it.) not a lot of people knew they were there. Now that the eShop on the Switch is way better, people can notice things more for the Switch.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:05 am

Nintendo is basically the Disney of video games. They've got mascots that the world has loved for years and will continue loving for years to come. Like Bomby said, the brand name is a huge driving factor.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:34 am

They have built strong, recognisable character IPs, and they haven't made their game franchises into a complete assembly line unlike other publishers. This means their releases continue to garner attention. Compare when they had internally drifted in that direction with the New Super Mario Bros. series, which became visibly saturated and less remarkable by way of too many successive releases, versus the Legend of Zelda, etc. They've struggled to keep their range of diversity up over the past years but overall when they make a new release it garners widespread media attention. Nintendo's marketability depends in part on them being the tick to the rest of the industry's tock. It would not benefit them to imitate others.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:10 am

^ I think you're right that it wouldn't benefit Nintendo to imitate others in most ways, but they could adopt standard features. A lot of their games don't have online at all or are severely gimped, and Switch is a step back even compared to 3DS in terms of functionality. Switch just barely got YouTube, which is kind of mindblowing for what's essentially a tablet device. That convoluted method of voice chat they have with the phone app is just ridiculous, and I can't believe they're still using friend codes. I'm also pretty sure that making the Wii U so weak hurt it because it didn't have the right gimmick to rely on to sell like the Wii did, nor the appeal of a handheld like Switch does, so it was kinda just this bizarrely named ~PS3-level system nobody wanted to make games for or buy.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:22 am

^ I'd say the truth of the Wii U's poor performance was that it was actually the Wii's failure, in that it did not and could not iterate successively on the promise of motion controls and elegance of simplicity that the Wii was meant to argue, as the Wii failed to drive home such a premise as being a viable part of a larger entertainment experience. In having pushed that concept too thoroughly as the baseline of the Wii, but not having truly proven its worth as a dedicated interface, anything claiming to be a successor to the Wii was going to be met with the same level of disinterest the Wii itself was now receiving, going forward.

But also, if you'll read into your own words objectively, what you're saying in complaint about the Wii U truly does agree with my prior point -
...so it was kinda just this bizarrely named ~PS3-level system nobody wanted to make games for or buy.
As in, it failed to differentiate. It did not do different, it was largely too similar to what was already being done and was being compared too harshly to an established platform. The comparison creates a perceptual failure. In not offering enough that was different, its failures were not simply that it did not do the same as the competitors but better, it was that it sustained that notion of sameness.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:21 am

^ You might be right about the Wii U having trouble because it was the successor to Wii, but I recall it being said that people were confused by the name "Wii U," thinking it to be a peripheral or something. I'm not sure how much merit there is to that though.

As for what I said about the Wii U, it did differentiate, simply in poorly received ways. A bulky tablet with bad battery life, laughable reception (literally being across a large room is too much distance for it), and a muddy screen (not even as good as Vita or a good phone) just wasn't selling it. Being a generation behind again in terms of power didn't help. These things did differentiate it, but nobody liked the difference.

If we replaced "Wii U" with "GameCube" I'd be more inclined to agree. It's a common argument for why NGC underperformed and seems to be the go-to for why Nintendo shouldn't bother making strong systems, but I think there were other factors more responsible for why it didn't do well (mainly PS2's DVD capabilities).

Return to “Nintendo Main”