Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

VG_Addict

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Post by VG_Addict » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:20 pm

Finally, a new Direct, even if it's just about one game.

https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/02-20-2020/

What do you hope to see?

RinkuTheFirst

Re: Animal Crossing Direct tomorrow.

Post by RinkuTheFirst » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Pipe dream: the return of requestable errands

I'd also settle for an HD shot of Froggy Chair. Literally any footage will do to satiate the intense NEED I have to play new Animal Crossing.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:01 pm

anything that suggests they aren't going to kill all my flowers if i skip a day
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:18 pm

they won't just kill the flowers they'll set the town on fire

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:09 am

Just Animal Crossing? Nintendo could really better support their console...

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:17 am

I'm not worried too much. Nintendo's been doing these kinds of Directs right before the launch of their big games like Smash, Mario Maker, Pokemon, I think there was one for Fire Emblem, etc. With it being so long since the last major Animal Crossing game I'm sure there's tons of stuff that they'd like to announce separately because it would take too much time to cover during a bigger direct.

I feel like every year for the first couple months people go "holy **** Nintendo hasn't announced any games!" and then there's a direct in Q1 where they announce a bunch of "minor" games and ports that have been in development for months already that will release in the months between that Direct and E3, one or two fall/holiday titles and then maybe put a release date on a major release that's been teased but has no finalized date. It seems that Nintendo does this sort of "one year at a time" way of scheduling this kind of stuff, so they wait until one year's slate of games is out and then focus on the next slate of games. For the past few years they've done a Direct in January/February that kind of lays out their plan for their year, their E3 show for updates and bigger announcements, and then a September one where they showcase the holiday games and maybe announce a couple games for the next year. So I think with Animal Crossing being delayed and having Smash and Pokemon announcements already this year, they ended up delaying that January/February Direct.

I feel like we'll get that direct sometime in the next few weeks (wouldn't be surprised if they even announce a date at the end of tomorrow's stream). Metroid Prime 4 and new Zelda still don't have dates yet, though with Zelda being announced pretty recently and Metroid Prime 4 restarting from scratch I wouldn't be surprised if those are still more than a year out. Bayonetta 3 has been in development forever but that special edition of the first one just came out for PS4/Xbone so I wouldn't be surprised if we finally got a release date on 3 soon. Bravely Default II, No More Heroes 3 and the Xenoblade Chronicles remaster still don't have dates yet but are all coming this year.

At least Nintendo finally has a console that's getting the best indie stuff and has third parties bringing remaster and ports of stuff over to Switch in the meantime.

EDIT: I couldn't sleep and I was curious because it felt like Nintendo's been supporting the Switch super well so far and I wanted to see exactly how it broke down year-to-year. So I counted all the games Nintendo's published for the Switch, dividing them between "new" games and ports/remasters (full-on remakes like Link's Awakening counted as "new").

2017: 9 "new" games (BotW, 1-2 Switch, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario + Rabbids, Snipperclips, Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Flip Wars); 2 ports (Mario Kart 8, Pokken Tournament)
2018: 9 "new" games (Dragon Quest Builders, Kirby Star Allies, Sushi Striker, Mario Tennis Aces, Octopath Traveler, Super Mario Party, Pokemon Let's Go, SSBU, Pokemon Quest); 7 ports (Bayonetta, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, DKC: Tropical Freeze, Captain Toad, Go Vacation, The World Ends With You); 3 Labo Kits
2019: 17 "new games" (Fitness Boxing, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Yoshi's Crafted World, Super Mario Maker 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Tetris 99, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, Link's Awakening, Ring Fit Adventure, Luigi's Mansion, Pokemon SWSH, BoxBoy + BoxGirl, Cadence of Hyrule, Super Kirby Clash, The Stretchers); 2 ports (NSMBU, Dragon Quest XI); 1 Labo Kit
2020 announced so far: 4 "new" games (Brain Age, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Animal Crossing, Bravely Default II); 2 ports (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, Xenoblade Chronicles)

Obviously some of those are SEGA, Square and Namco joints that Nintendo published Stateside or just published the Switch versions for, but still. Last year was a huge year for the Switch, which does make me think more that this might be a weaker year for the console.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:44 am

Just saw the news about the cloud save situation with Animal Crossing.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/you-c ... pe=twitter

I have to ask: Why is Nintendo so bad at online? No other company has the problems with online they do.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Y'ALL, YOU CAN LIKE

TOTALLY RE-SHAPE THE ISLAND

YOU CAN DESTROY AND BUILD CLIFFS N STUFF

YOU CAN RE-ROUTE RIVERS

THIS IS DOPE

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:37 pm

^^^ There's a reason people call it the "Portendo Switch", you know. Aside from those, their actual 1st party stuff is fairly slim.

BotW was a Wii U game they'd delayed for a simultaneous release on Switch & Wii U, essentially making it a port too. Only Mario Odyssey interested me among the other Switch exclusives but I understand Mario + Rabbids, Splatoon, and Xenoblade have their fans. The rest that year are clearly filler but that's a decent launch year, I guess.

2018 had Kirby and Smash Ultimate, with some Mario & Pokemon spinoffs & remakes. Pretty legit bad year, I feel bad for Smash's back.

2019 is more complicated. There were more significant releases but they're divisive. Pokemon obviously had its detractors, many believe Yoshi dropped the ball (I certainly do), and Cadence of Hyrule is almost literally a glorified indie game (really neat collaboration though). Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion, and Mario Maker stand out among the spinoffs and Box Boy. A lot of the rest are basically 3rd party even if Nintendo funded them or they're exclusive, or are definitely seen as filler.

These aren't exactly killer offerings from a juggernaut company with a successful console on their hands. It's a real Nintendo move to do this and makes the lack of a Nintendo direct stand out more than it otherwise would. This doesn't mean there's nothing for people to play, just that Nintendo is not operating in an optimal capacity. I know it's easy to be an armchair analyst but can anyone can look at that mediocre launch and bad follow-up year and honestly be like "good job nintendo"? You'd think they'd go in guns blazing after that but that definitely didn't happen even if it can be argued that 2019 was a good year, and they're seemingly slowing back down.

I think this will end up as Nintendo's weakest library for a handheld, and maybe just above Wii U in terms of home consoles. Switch may have sold more than SNES but it's no SNES.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm

I think you're severely underestimating the Indie offerings on Switch. For someone like me who would rather play a game on console over PC 100% of the time, the Switch has been massive. I'm getting to a lot of games I otherwise would have skipped. And not only that, but then you can have those great Indie games in console or handheld mode. It's great.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:53 pm

I basically refuse to play on PC and have only done so a few times, so I know what you mean, but I'm specifically talking about the main reason people want Nintendo systems; Nintendo games. It's worse than usual, it's not a surprise to see the usual lack of F-Zero and Golden Sun but where's a new Donkey Kong or Mario Kart? It doesn't help that some of what they did release was weak, like Yoshi.

So this is more a criticism of Nintendo's releases, not the Switch itself.

RinkuTheFirst

Post by RinkuTheFirst » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:47 pm

I might explode while waiting for this game to come out.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:57 pm

same tbh

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:41 pm

THIS GAME LOOKS SOOOOOOO RAAAAAAAAAAD

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:26 pm

FLICK. IS. EPIC.

Also love that now if I get an ugly villager I can tell them to live in the corner and then erect a wall around their house.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:37 pm

^ for a second i thought you were censor evading

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Marilink wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:09 pm
Y'ALL, YOU CAN LIKE

TOTALLY RE-SHAPE THE ISLAND

YOU CAN DESTROY AND BUILD CLIFFS N STUFF

YOU CAN RE-ROUTE RIVERS

THIS IS DOPE
I wasn't particularly interested in another Animal Crossing until I saw this. Literal game-changer.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm

Sounds like an attempt to edge into the Minecraft space a bit. Pretty smart because it fits the franchise.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:07 pm

this is dumb but i think the single most exciting thing in the direct for me personally was the design of the museum. It's always been one of my favorite places to hang out in ACNL and it looks **** GORGEOUS in this game! the terrarium has sunlight peeking through the shade of a canopy, the aquarium has its classic blue lighting in HD, and the dinosaurium has sleek black panels and spotlights that make it look like some kind of space odyssey. it looks wonderful
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:42 pm

that's not dumb the museum looks awesome

Return to “Nintendo Main”