Joy-con drift and stick transplants

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

S1x

Joy-con drift and stick transplants

Post by S1x » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:43 pm

I've really appreciated my Switch ever since I got it in June 2017. Some time last year, however, something wrong happened. I was playing Breath of the Wild and after I stopped moving the stick, Link was slowly stepping to the left. I air blasted the internal part of the stick and it seemed to go away. Later, it happened again. I gave a spray of contact cleaner and let it air out. It only took a few hours of gameplay for phantom left inputs to return. Over time, it got even worse. I kept selecting the wrong tiles in Fire Emblem because of it, and that was the big point of tilt where I felt I had no choice but to perform surgery on the thing.

At this point I've taken apart other controllers and swapped out PC parts, so this wasn't the most intimidating thing. I carefully followed this guide step by step while making sure to sort the screws I removed.

I only used 3 of the 5 included screwdrivers, but hey, extra tools. Colored rubber caps were a nice bonus too

Hi battery. This is what you see after removing the 4 outer screws and lifting the shell

A few more internal screws. This is where the guide was important, because some of them never need to be touched

Circuit board! The metal square is the bottom of the stick

The ribbons were the tricky part. The tweezers were essential here. It never required too much force to flip the clasps or take out the ribbons. This took me a few tries because my hands weren't super steady, but I got there

Completely dissected. Bad stick on the right, replacement stick on the left. Having the previous pictures as reference made it pretty simple to reconnect everything.

Putting the ribbons back in also required a careful touch with the tweezers. There seemed to be a little bit of a bump of extra length when I put the replacement stick's ribbon in, but that seems to be fine. As soon as those and the battery went back, I pressed a button just to make sure the lights responded. They did!

One oddity was that putting the final screw back in was extremely difficult. I left it sticking out very slightly, and may come back to it in a bit and set it aside. It seems to be secured well enough with just 3 screws, but I need to see if enough motion can open the shell at all.

Upon putting it back together I immediately went to this screen. At first, the resting position was very slightly off, and I panicked. However, the test has an option to re-calibrate by doing some simple motions. After that, everything (so far) works just as expected.

So that was my recent adventure. I was looking at all options other than getting a whole new left half controller for $50 that could develop the same problem anyway. This kit was $14, had one more replacement stick just in case, and gave me some pretty cool tweezers.

If you have a Switch, I hope your sticks never run into this problem, but if they do, swapping it out ain't so bad :D
Last edited by S1x on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Re: Joy-con drift and stick transplants

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:49 pm

Is that an official repair kit?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

S1x

Post by S1x » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:52 pm

As far as I know, there is no official one. I chose this one because it had good reviews

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:37 pm

It's ridiculous that Nintendo hasn't fixed this problem.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:47 pm

I thought they'd offered free repairs, didn't they? They haven't addressed it in the sense of actually solving the problem though, since I read even Switch Lite has the same issues. Hopefully a revision fixes that and improves other aspects.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:09 pm

Nintendo won't put out an "official repair kit" because they hate people opening their **** and think using 3 prong screws on everything will deter people.

Thanks for the pics. Will be helpful if I ever get this problem. I like taking stuff apart - should make a thread of my GC controller c stick replacement sometime.

Grats on the surgery!

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:34 pm

yeah nintendo finally offered repairs because they realized the only options were that or a class action lawsuit

Return to “Nintendo Main”