I wanna get JP ToS, do I get Wii Freeloader or a JP Wii or Something Else

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Apollo the Just

I wanna get JP ToS, do I get Wii Freeloader or a JP Wii or Something Else

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:48 pm

Neither of them are bank breaking on eBay so not worried about that.

Freeloader would probably be ideal because I already have my wii all set up so if I could play JP ToS on the same machine that would be easy.

Pros of getting JP Wii are, I really want to have a backup wii anyway before they get old enough to be expensive again, because I absolutely rely on this system to play the most important video game ever. So if I get a JP wii to play JP ver I will also have that backup console, not to mention another console to compare load times and stuff. I sincerely doubt mine has bad loads or anything because it would have been obvious by now given my speedrun times, but still, a point of comparison would never hurt anyone.

Anyone have experience or preference? Also, full disclosure, I'm a weenie who never even homebrewed my damn wii. Would homebrew provide an alternative region break possibility? What's the best way to go about this?

If anyone is asking the reason I want to play JP ToS is mostly because it has a sound test menu that lets you listen to the OST, also I think it would be neat. Also there's a different NG category that I want to learn that exploits a JP exclusive glitch. Also, this weekend I played Tempest JP at the gf's and I realized that menuing in JP is easy as **** because I already know what all the items and **** look like, so it is TOTALLY learn-able.

--

edit: need to check my wii firmware version lol. if it's too recent freeloader won't work so i guess that answers that for me. will check tonight, don't think we actually really updated that **** so it might actually be ok.

I am nobody

Re: I wanna get JP ToS, do I get Wii Freeloader or a JP Wii or Something Else

Post by I am nobody » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:20 pm

No input here, but let me know what you end up doing and how easy it is. I want to hoard used Japanese Wii/GC games like I do with 3/DS.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm

Knowing me it might end up being "all of the above" so will keep you updated. Freeloader isn't an option if your wii firmware is 3.3 or above, btw. Also cannot get a definitive source on what proportion of GC games it works for - apparently there are some it won't but all I could find on that is a Wikipedia page with like 3 entries, so jury's out on that one.

Gonna check wii firmware tonight, if under 3.3 will probably get freeloader first and let y'all know how that goes, might invest in JP wii as well at some point because of who I am as a person. They go for under $30 currently.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:24 pm

I'm like 90% sure Nintendont can bypass region-locking even on discs
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:32 pm

Oh, seriously? For $30 that's a super easy decision.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:09 pm

^^ sweet, I've thought about setting up Homebrew/Nintendont for ages but am lazy and it seems like work. Would be really nice to use GC controller on the home menu though so that might put it over the edge. I just wasn't sure if it worked for this specific purpose of circumventing region lock on a physical disk, though.

Still thinking about getting the JP wii as a backup, but it seems there are Options ^TM.

---

^ yep, although I should mention the listing in question is console only, no cords. which is not a problem because you would probably want the USA power adapter anyway (although I'm really not sure it would be an issue either way. PAL, on the other hand.)

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:47 pm

Alright, got an update. I'm gonna go with Homebrew for now. For a couple reasons--

* I'm sick of having to charge AA batteries for my wiimote when literally all I need it for is to select the GameCube game from the Wii home screen. You can have your Wii boot directly into the Homebrew channel (supports GC controller) and load the GC game from there, which solves that problem.

* It'll make me feel like hackerman

* My Wii firmware is 4.3 so Freeloader wouldn't work anyway

I am still probably going to get a second wii because I am terrified of mine crapping out of me leaving me without a console to play the only game that matters. But if Homebrew works out, it won't really mather whether it's USA or JP or whatever. It's best to do this now so if I break anything somehow replacements are affordable.

--

Anyway, I've been using this as a starting point:

https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup

I have a copy of Brawl so I could do SmashStack and pretend it is 6 years ago, but since it is 2020 I will be sensible and use Letterbomb like everyone else I guess. I do think it's hilarious SmashStack exploits the custom stages to break your Wii. That's amazing.

I'm gonna dig around in my old electronics and see if there's anything I'm not thinking of that might have an old SD card in it - if I find anything I'll move forward with this ASAP, otherwise I'll order one and continue next weekend. My old laptop I just revitalized with SSD has a built-in SD card reader so I don't have to worry about getting a USB one or anything. Will update this thread as progress is made.

EDIT:

HAHAHAAAAAAA i have an old 2GB SD card from my 3DS!! I'mma make a backup of it in case I need anything on this but I don't think there was anything essential on it that didn't get moved to my upgraded one. Anyway, we are moving forward with phase 2. Updates soon.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:29 pm

Alright, so moving on, the process is super simple.

1. Plug my SD card into my computer. Move its files to a backup folder on my desktop "just in case" even though there is a 100% chance I will never access any of them again.

2. Format the SD card (FAT format)

3. Download LetterBomb and the HackMii installer from here. Need to get your wii's MAC address. Select your region obviously, cut the red wire to download.
4. Unzip the downloaded file. Copy "private" folder & "boot.elf" file to formatted SD card. Eject the SD card.

5. Shove the SD card into the Wii. Go to Wii Message Board. (bottom right)

6. At first I freaked out because I didn't see anything. I scrolled back to yesterday, and there it was for some reason. ANYWAY - should see a big red envelope. Click it!

7. WOOHOO! Got a screen, had to press 1 to acknowledge I didn't pay for the software or anything.

8. Press A for "continue" when prompted; scrolled to "Homebrew Channel" > "intstall the homebrew channel." Clicked through to install it, took like 2 seconds. Then scrolled to "BootMii" and selected "Install BootMii as boot2". This took a bit longer.

Exited, and the homebrew channel started right up.

So installations were successful; that literally took me like 15 minutes start to finish with an SD card/SD card reader available.

Next steps will obviously be doing something with the Homebrew channel. That said, I shut down the wii and turned it on again and verified that I could go straight to the homebrew channel from the load and could use the GC controller. **** yeah. Now I just gotta look into what app(s) to install from Homebrew to a. launch GC games, and b. change Wii region settings.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:47 pm

OK, next up is gonna install Gecko to launch GC games. I'm also looking at AnyRegion Changer for JP games down the road. thank you wiibrew.org for the food.

So for Gecko, for example, because I don't have the Homebrew browser set up so I'm doing it on my computer --

1. Downloaded/unzipped the file

2. Per this article: http://gwht.wikidot.com/gecko-os - "Unzip Gecko OS and copy the Gecko1931/Gecko1931/HBC/Gecko1931 folder (and its contents) to sd:/apps "

* I don't have sd:/apps, so I created the folder and hope nothing breaks.

3. Eject SD card, shove it back in Wii, launch Wii. hooray for being able to use GC controller. Navigate to Homebrew channel and.... GECKO IS THERE! Click on it. Click "launch game."

TALES OF SYMPHONIA STARTED UP, Y'ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Will experiment with region changing app later. I need to buy JP ToS first. In fact, am buying JP ToS right now along with a few new memory cards, and will post updates when I mess around with that at a later date.

--

EDIT:

Guys I'm dumb. Gecko is literally an application that lets you load import games. I think I might be able to launch JP ToS from the one application I installed to circumvent the Wii menu. Bruh that **** was easy as **** I can't wait for JP ToS to come in so I can test it out.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:51 pm

update i installed snes9x gx

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:59 pm

Streamed some me being absolutely terrible at Tetris Attack to see how my capture setup looks with the emulation. There's no reason it shouldn't look good because it's literally running on the Wii, and lo and behold it does look good. Anyway this is now the "AJ's Wii Homebrew Shenanigans" thread.

edit: the deinterlacing is a bit off for the clear animations but im not too surprised by that bc the framerate is different from what i'm normally streaming so whatever i'll mess with that if/when i ever actually take TA seriously

Return to “Nintendo Main”