Featured Zelda Dungeon #5 - Stone Tower Temple

Moderators: Booyakasha, Marilink

Marilink
Supermod

Featured Zelda Dungeon #5 - Stone Tower Temple

Post by Marilink » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:39 am

Ah, dungeons...how I love thee. And I have a feeling that almost every Zelda fan does. I mean, why else would we keep coming back to the series? The dungeons are the most consistent game element, and one of the most make-or-break ones that there is. And in almost every Zelda games, the Dungeons really make it. So let's set aside some time to look at them a little more closely, shall we?

Zelda Dungeon of the Month #1

Game: OoT
Dungeon #: 3rd Adult Dungeon, 6th Overall
Boss: Morpha
Mid-Boss: Shadow Link
Distinguishing Characteristic: Raising and Lowering water levels
Awesome Level: Notorious

The infamous Water Temple. Chances are, if you ask any given Zelda fan what their least favorite part of any Zelda game was, 75% of them will mention the Water Temple in some way, shape or form. Is that fair? Haha, not at all. The Water Temple isn't really all that bad.

Many or all gamers today who complain about the Water Temple were, like, 14 and under when OoT came out. Usually, because of this, they interpreted the minor back-and-forth tedium of the level into being EXTREME DIFFICULTY!!!! The reality of the matter is that the Water Temple takes a little bit of time because of two main reasons:

1. There are only 3 specific spots at which you can raise the water level. So if you miss something, you have to go back through the whole sequence of places to get to specific spots. This also leads to the fact that a lot of people miss the key that's in the basement level (y'know, when you raise the water to level 2 in the room pictured below and then you have to go back down into where the block came up. They 'fixed' this in the 3D version by having the camera pan right to the hole in the floor).

2. The pausing-and-unpausing to get the Iron Boots tricks you into thinking you're wasting so much time. The OoT menus are painfully slow at times, especially when you have to go through them as often as you do in this level.

That's really it. Those are the two biggest reasons why the Water Temple gets so much hate. People don't realize it, because your average Zelda Fan isn't going to be able to articulate their reasons that well. Another reason could possibly be the awesome Shadow Link battle, but that was just cool...and most people can figure out the Megaton Hammer trick if they just do a little trial-and-error.

So the next time you think about the Water Temple, think about it objectively. Don't immediately go "GAAARHHHRHHHRH I HATE IT." Instead, look at the real reasons why you hated it, and you'll realize they're a little silly. Then you can focus on how hard The Great Palace in Zelda II is.

And lastly, the beautiful Water Temple theme:

[video]5s9ZoF669l0[/video]
Carthago delendum est

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:46 pm

I won't lie; Morpha wasn't my favorite of the bosses. In fact, I'd probably argue that he was my least favorite of the adult-dungeon bosses.

However, I did like the Water Temple. It had a delicious amount of challenge to it. :)
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:31 pm

I think the Water Temple is just...boring. Water just isn't exciting. Even the boss is boring compared to every other OoT boss.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:33 pm

The Water Temple is actually a lot more enjoyable in the 3DS version due to the Iron Boots being available at the press of a button.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:39 pm

^^Yeah, especially when you can kill it in 19 seconds with absolutely no problem.

[video]K0iTHxMAAXk[/video]

But really, I think the Water Temple's music turns the "boring" into "soothing." I dunno, I really like it.
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:42 pm

eh, I'm not too fond of soothing music. That's probably part of the reason why I find the temple so boring.

This is kinda series-wide for me, honestly.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 pm

^Did you not even like the Water Temple in TP? I thought that was a great dungeon.
Carthago delendum est

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:27 pm

My problem is just how the 3D Zelda games handle water. Even though it was made with the Mario 64 system it has a very awkward (And lame) swimming system, all you do is float and sink.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I didn't think the Water Temple was that terrible. Dark Link was cool, but Morpha was the most anticlimactic boss in the game.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 pm

X-3: peace-hating monster

I think the Water Temple in TP isn't as bad, though I forget what its music sounded like.

Blake

Post by Blake » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 pm

Woot, I called OoT dungeon upon reading the title of this topic. :p

I don't mind the Water Temple. It's definitely a pain switching back and forth between iron boots but the longshot is definitely one of the best items in the game and dark link one of the best bosses. I also liked its music too, I felt it kinda fit the theme of the dungeon well. :p

Wicked Witch of the Crest

Post by Wicked Witch of the Crest » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:51 pm

One of my favorite temples, to be honest. I loved the puzzles, and even the changing of equipment. Then again, I like menu-driven games. XD
What's the matter, scared?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:03 pm

It's just tedious. I know exactly how to beat it and what to do, but going and changing the water levels over and over again and WHOOPS YOU MISSED IT, START OVER is just annoying and repetitive

Dark Link is awesome though presuming you don't cheat with the Megaton Hammer, which just makes it boring
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't cheat with the megaton hammer, I cheated with Din's fire :)
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 am

ARGHHH GYORG!!!!

Other than that... Link is not a strong swimmer... but I don't recall drowning him in the past few games, either... >.> :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 am

Zelda Dungeon of the Month #2
Thieves' Town
Game: LttP
Dungeon #: 8, 4th in the Dark World
Boss: Blind the Thief
Item found: Titan Mitt
Distinguishing Characteristics: One of the coolest bosses in the Zelda series, also just a generally awesome dungeon
Awesome level: Blind

I love this level. I love the puzzle with the girl and the light from the top floor, I love the atmosphere of the dark world Kakariko, and I love the boss.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, you go through this dungeon like any other, until you get to this girl you have to rescue.

She asks you to save her, but oddly enough she wont go outside--she won't even go to the top floor because the windows let light through and it's too bright. So in order to beat the level you have to bomb a floor piece on the top floor, then bring her to the corresponding room the floor below...resulting in her transformation into...

Blind the Thief. Man, this boss battle is cool. I mean, there's nothing particularly amazing about the battle itself, but I think the set-up just makes it seem super freaking cool. And it is, so there. Basically, Blind is similar to Gleeok in that his heads will fly around and shoot stuff at you while you try to win, which makes the battle pretty difficult if you're not ready for it. So, while Blind isn't necessarily a complicated boss battle, he's probably the most cinematic LttP regular dungeon boss. And he's awesome.

Funny story: My brother, when he was a youngin' back in the 90's, got stuck for ages on this level. Actually, I shouldn't even say on this level...because he got stuck trying to get it in. He tried bombing, swinging his sword, throwing things, he even went to levels beyond this one and used items you're not even really supposed to have yet. He set the game down for a couple months out of frustration, then when he came back to it he tried pulling. It worked.

Tidbit: Blind shows up again in the palace of the Four Sword in the GBA remake, this time disguised as Link's Uncle.

^My favorite Blind fan art, done by our very own AI.

LttP Dark World Dungeon Music:

[video]p5ObFGkl_-4[/video]

Battle against Blind:

[video]cSx40EVf7dQ[/video]
Carthago delendum est

Wicked Witch of the Crest

Post by Wicked Witch of the Crest » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:02 pm

I think you stole my next idea! ...Kidding.

It's a fun Dungeon, minus the Demonic Spiders. >_<

I love the concept of the fake maiden thing.
What's the matter, scared?

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Blind is pretty strange. He's the leader of the thieves but we never see him attempt to steal anything.

And what is he? His sprite is some sort of red thing wearing a giant white shirt. He shoots fireballs, and can control multiple heads. Is he some sort of magical lizard, like the enemies in the dungeon? Why do his arms look like wings?

Also he dresses up like a maiden for suspect reasons. You'd think, "oh he is evil therefore he will try to shank Link when he least expects it" but nope, he just follows the hero around until he gets led into sunlight at which point he gets upset and attacks him. What was his plan?

anyway here's a video of his Palace of the Four Sword fight. The fight has a new mechanic, but Blind's plan is as confusing to me as ever.

[video]AnoXbPmuYks&[/video]

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 pm

^He's the head of a gang of thieves. He can be whatever he wants to be, yo. Maybe Blind is some kind of god to them. They steal stuff for him, they do his bidding.
Carthago delendum est

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:09 am

Maybe he steals women's hearts.

YOU DON'T KNOW.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”