Lost in Translation?

Moderators: Booyakasha, Marilink

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:41 am

Uh, that's not how writing in the game industry tends to work, AI.

http://www.actiontrip.com/features/rhia ... view.phtml

Writers patch together levels afterwards.
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:55 am

Hahaha there is not one exclusive way people write for games, I'm sorry if you read one piece and got that impression. Nintendo works that way, etc. Obviously a lot of a game's elements are decided more by designers on the fly, a lot of which is given no global context and is soldered together afterwards. You get the reverse also, where important concepts are decided with the aid of writers in conceptual stages, but yes the actual plot is often bolted on retroactively, at least formally. In reality, there are pieces and parts being flung into the pot which alter the game continuously, usually as design decisions but often you've got leads from the graphics teams working asymmetrically with other leads and just periodically re-synching.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:02 am

I take it the more complex the game the more the story is altered.

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:07 am

^ The more story elements, the more people that work on them, typically. Leads get together and create reference directives and distribute them to their own departments, certain things have to get a head start for the rest of the team to get on the ground running, so inevitably a lot of it can be in flux up until the end. Developers listed as writers for Morrowind, for instance:
Writing & Quest Design
Douglas Goodall, Mark E. Nelson, Ken Rolston
Additional Writing & Quest Design
Bill Burcham, Todd Howard, Michael Kirkbride, Ted Peterson, Todd Vaughn

Many people tend to be under the impression that a traditional author, like a novelist, actually works by writing a whole book from start to finish. In reality, they may be writing chapters at any point as they have ideas for them, and then make decisions to alter the flow of the story later on, which will require more editing and drafting decisions. Games are not unlike that.

Musicians, in comparison, will typically work on songs and complete many which are not chosen for an album release, and the track listing will come after the songs are written. That is not to say that there is no consistent direction or overal conceptual work taking place before or while the songs are actually written, but it can be altered to appear more cohesive rather late in production.

In these endeavors, though, there is almost never just one thing being added to linearly from start to finish, and editing mostly takes place at the end of a project.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:03 pm

I've written several songs starting from the middle & working outward.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:55 pm

I wrote a song starting with the beginning once because it was inspired by a concept I had specifically for a beginning

the rest of it was totally composed out of order though lol
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”