Is it okay to like Twilight Princess again?

Moderators: Booyakasha, Marilink

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:28 am

^I feared as much.
Carthago delendum est

Sir Bolt the Dragoon

Post by Sir Bolt the Dragoon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am

[QUOTE="ARF! ARF! GOTCHA, post: 1485844, member: 25415"]TP wasn't gritty at all, though. It was downright silly most of the time. Not that there's anything wrong with gritty, but that's a term I'd reserve for something like Madworld or Max Payne. Diablo, you could get away with, although it's dark fantasy and gritty is usually reserved for urban fiction like noir and slasher stuff.[/QUOTE]TP was incredibly gritty from a Zelda perspective. Especially when compared with its predecessor of Wind Waker.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:54 am

^I think we're talking past each other. TP looks more gritty because "real is brown" and such, but it's certainly not gritty thematically.
Carthago delendum est

Sir Bolt the Dragoon

Post by Sir Bolt the Dragoon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:34 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1485863, member: 23215"]^I think we're talking past each other. TP looks more gritty because "real is brown" and such, but it's certainly not gritty thematically. [/QUOTE]I actually think it's gritty thematically (from the Zelda perspective) too. The whole concept of the Twilight taking over Hyrule. The scene of Ganondorf's execution. The final battle and how that ends. It's a pretty dark game. And yeah, "real is brown" helps, along with some of the more realistic-looking character models.

Maybe gritty, to me, is a mix of all those things. MM is certainly dark but I wouldn't call it "gritty". What a silly word. Gritty gritty gritty.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:36 am

Link is the carrier of the Triforce of Courage in most games. So most Zelda games are gritty.

Sir Bolt the Dragoon

Post by Sir Bolt the Dragoon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:39 am

[QUOTE="Random User, post: 1485873, member: 35827"]Link is the carrier of the Triforce of Courage in most games. So most Zelda games are gritty.[/QUOTE]
Well played.

I have to say ML, after recently beating OoT 3D and currently playing WW I'm kinda on a Zelda thing. I'm considering taking up TP again next. Sigh, too bad I lost my copy. And it's actually pricier on Amazon than you'd suspect.

I really want to play the GCN version but it's not worth over $100.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:43 am

^You can probably pick up GCN Twilight Princess on Ebay for cheaper than that. They just made way more Wii copies, so it'll be cheaper to go that route.

I actually felt like the motion controls in the Wii version were really good, all things considered.

Sir Bolt the Dragoon

Post by Sir Bolt the Dragoon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 am

Ohhh, good call. It's a lot cheaper there, and by "a lot" I mean its original price of about $50.

I just didn't feel like the motion controls added anything. Also I really want to try the un-mirrored version of the game.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. Lately collecting Gamecube games seems to be what everyone's doing, so all the prices on the games are outrageous. The original Wind Waker was 15 bucks before the Wii U came out, and now most people are selling it for 40 again.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:55 pm

I still greatly enjoyed the Wii Twilight Princess, the motion controls are very easy to get used to (and the game doesn't live or die by them like SS).
Carthago delendum est

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:30 pm

Since Skyward Sword is now out, yes, now it is okay to like Twilight Princess.

Sir Bolt the Dragoon

Post by Sir Bolt the Dragoon » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:59 pm

Ha! My friend is giving away his Wii stuff and his copy of TP was in the pile! Nice timing.

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:38 pm

[QUOTE="Sir Bolt the Dragoon, post: 1485860, member: 34890"]TP was incredibly gritty from a Zelda perspective. Especially when compared with its predecessor of Wind Waker.[/QUOTE]
In Wind Waker, Hyrule is almost completely destroyed as a last-ditch effort to suppress the takeover of Ganon, and even that only delays him. An entire island is destroyed before you can even set foot on it, with the buildings implying it was fully inhabited. The game ends with Ganon becoming a sympathetic character, but being killed with a sword lodged in his forehead, and the King of Hyrule wishes to drown with Hyrule and destroy the realm forever.

Wind Waker is easily on par with TP in terms of dark themes. But you seem to be misusing the term gritty to just refer to something being unhappy, anyway.

I mean, Link to the Past begins after the dominion of Ganon has reached Hyrule and the King is murdered, with Link finding the lingering corpse of his uncle in a sewer only to have him plead that he protect the princess. Ganon rules an entire evil world, where the the ruling class are made up of his thief companions.

In Ocarina, Link travels to a future where he failed to prevent the rise of Ganon and most of the people have fled to the outer regions, are trapped in ice, or are imprisoned. He does so after failing to prevent the death of the closest thing he's had to a father (again), etc. All of his family (kokiri) are left to think he's died.

There's just about nothing unusual about Twilight Princess. If anything, it's almost light-hearted. Just about nobody is murdered for the whole game.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:07 am

By "TP is gritty," do you mean TP is one of the more desaturated color palettes for a video game?
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:10 am

yes TP is gritty especially that part where you sumo wrestle a Goron

Sir Bolt the Dragoon

Post by Sir Bolt the Dragoon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:11 am

C'mon gents, work with me here:

[QUOTE="ARF! ARF! GOTCHA, post: 1485981, member: 25415"]...But you seem to be misusing the term gritty to just refer to something being unhappy, anyway.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1486004, member: 19860"]By "TP is gritty," do you mean TP is one of the more desaturated color palettes for a video game?[/QUOTE]

I previously said:
[QUOTE="Sir Bolt the Dragoon, post: 1485872, member: 34890"]I actually think it's gritty thematically (from the Zelda perspective) too. The whole concept of the Twilight taking over Hyrule. The scene of Ganondorf's execution. The final battle and how that ends. It's a pretty dark game. And yeah, "real is brown" helps, along with some of the more realistic-looking character models.

Maybe gritty, to me, is a mix of all those things. MM is certainly dark but I wouldn't call it "gritty". What a silly word. Gritty gritty gritty.[/QUOTE]

Let's not get caught up on semantics. The mix of TP's color palate, character models, environments, design choices, and official artwork give it a different feel to me than WW or OoT or even MM.

I tried playing TP last night and realized I've become an HD snob :-/.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:39 am

Well I won't stop you from using a term for your own ends, it just doesn't seem to have much in the way of moral shades of grey or crime overall which is the usual standard for such a call. The rise of the term and its popular use is all learned by us contextually, so there's plenty of room for it to be muddied a bit. I literally see TP as more of the same with a slightly different art style and maybe a bit more scope than the previous two major games in the series. If you think the series ranges widely, then you clearly are only considering it from the perspective of a limited appreciation of the series' base elements.

The buzzword itself reminds me of the recent trends in the games industry where everything was 'visceral' without anybody apparently knowing what that means when they were saying it, which generally came about after 'immersive' became played out. What they mean to say is usually that it fully engages your senses and your thoughts to create a truly-lived experience, but without so many words. Meaning is lost when you condense, predictably.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Sir Bolt the Dragoon

Post by Sir Bolt the Dragoon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:13 am

I really don't think this is that big of a deal.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:26 am

I don't remember saying it was. Are you doing that thing again?

Sir Bolt the Dragoon

Post by Sir Bolt the Dragoon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:38 am

[Can't embed a video to a certain time? Never mind.]

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”