Don't expect Zelda Wii U this year... even at E3.

Moderators: Booyakasha, Marilink

LOOT
Banned

Don't expect Zelda Wii U this year... even at E3.

Post by LOOT » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:53 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/legend ... 0-6426227/

Not surprised, or even dismayed. We waited long for Twilight Princess, this is no different.

[spoiler]obviously they're reworking the game so Link is a girl[/spoiler]

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Not even at E3? Must be pretty big development problems or changes.

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:05 pm

Hey, delays are fine if the game needs more time to be finished and good. As long as it doesn't sit in development hell I'm happy with this choice.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:13 pm

I'm kinda glad honestly. I was a bit skeptical about the 2015 release date so I'm glad they're gonna spend a little more time on the game.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Take as long as you need for it to be perfect and beautiful. Also if you wait long enough for me to get a wii u even better
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:11 am

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1526029, member: 27765"]Not even at E3? Must be pretty big development problems or changes.[/QUOTE]
"Not even at E3" means that Nintendo is naturally coy about showing something that isn't on their horizon yet as something they want to build early hype for lest it underdeliver. (See also Twilight Princess.) It means one of two things:

{a} They don't have the time to make a full-fledge demo out of it or because they're making fundamental changes/additions to intro areas which could put a demo at risk, or
{b} They don't envision that E3 is a proper type to build the hype engine up to soaring heights.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:36 am

Just be better than Skyward Sword, please.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:58 am

I bet they're doing another TP thing with the NX. Cheap ****.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:28 am

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1526066, member: 19860"]
{a} They don't have the time to make a full-fledge demo out of it or because they're making fundamental changes/additions to intro areas which could put a demo at risk, or[/QUOTE]

I remember reading an interview with someone from Naughty Dog talking about how the first Uncharted had an almost completely random glitch where all the textures disappeared and reverted to bright purple that was still active when they did the demo. They got lucky and it didn't happen, but since reading that I've always been kinda hoping that some major developer rushes a demo out and has that level of a fiasco on stage.

[QUOTE="CuccoLady, post: 1526056, member: 30977"]Take as long as you need for it to be perfect and beautiful. Also if you wait long enough for me to get a wii u even better[/QUOTE]

Also, this. I still don't want to buy one, but Zelda would make that harder if it turns out to be good.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:00 am

^ Miyamoto's Wind Waker demo glitched and he flipped or so I read.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:01 am

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1526084, member: 31048"]Just be better than Skyward Sword, please.[/QUOTE]

skyward sword was fantastic idek what you're on about with the hate outside of the horrible control system it was a pretty solid game *shrug*
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:21 am

^For a game about exploration it had a decent amount of not doing any sort of exploration. Which it seems the new Zelda is going to excel in, which excites me.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:35 pm

^Exactly. The world felt so small. Like "Oh hey you can land on the surface - just only these three places please"
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:48 pm

[QUOTE="spooky scary bearatons, post: 1526307, member: 30168"]skyward sword was fantastic idek what you're on about with the hate outside of the horrible control system it was a pretty solid game *shrug*[/QUOTE]
It was too contrived, to be honest. You really shouldn't ever only have one place to go in Zelda. It had a really good start but not having perfectly functioning controls, etc, got in the way. Not bad, certainly better than the bug fests other companies put out, but they need to stop beating the player over the head with what they want you to do.

They really needed to think out this whole 'city in the sky' thing a bit better, too. It was like a stump, and the NPCs had almost no dialogue for being the only ones in the whole game.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:46 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1526116, member: 34539"]I remember reading an interview with someone from Naughty Dog talking about how the first Uncharted had an almost completely random glitch where all the textures disappeared and reverted to bright purple that was still active when they did the demo. They got lucky and it didn't happen, but since reading that I've always been kinda hoping that some major developer rushes a demo out and has that level of a fiasco on stage.[/quote]

And that is why E3 demos are, in part, contrived simulations. Here is a secret from an insider that will change your life!

E3 demos are done with multiple demonstrations running live because bugs, glitches, and crashes happen for them. And so when you see a single-player experience live on screen, there is always at least one other person who is (on a secret screen) playing alongside the first player, mimicking the on-screen player as best they can. Then, if something does go wrong, someone at a control panel immediately flicks a switch to display the next screen in the queue, hopefully without killing too much of the illusion that the player isn't exactly in the same spot. These pairs of players will work closely in the week before E3 to synchronise as much of their gameplay as possible for those "what if" conditions.

And this is why you never see that many glitches or problems on screen at E3.

They might say, "oh yeah there was a bug to do this, and we hoped it wouldn't happen." But really, there are plans for that. The more serious the crashes or glitches, the more multiples of people playing alongside there will be just in case.

[QUOTE="spooky scary bearatons, post: 1526307, member: 30168"]skyward sword was fantastic idek what you're on about with the hate outside of the horrible control system it was a pretty solid game *shrug*[/QUOTE]

It was linear as a walking stick. For a game that claimed to "learn from its predecessor" Twilight Princess, which was also condemned as being linear as a walking stick, Skyward Sword was more so... except with little veiled illusions to make it seem like it wasn't. It was all smoke and mirrors. Take for instance the journey to Dungeon #2 at Eldin Volcano. You've got this very intricate set of corridors through the mountain that Link needs to traverse to reach the dungeon. But the trouble is that it's actually a very well devised maze. And like a maze, there is only one solution. Every alternate path is blocked off (except you can open it up later from the other side to provide shortcuts) and there is a strictly linear path from the start point to the dungeon.

In fact, technically speaking, the only times you have free choice on how to progress the plot are:
- The sky world, where you had free-fly over the entire sky all at once,
- The forest area, where it's not strictly linear but more of a free-flow area where you need to find the Kikwis in any order,
- The Silent Realm areas, where you have to get the 15 Tears of Light (or whatever they were) in any order, and
- The last 1/3 of the game, where you can tackle getting the three parts of the Song of the Hero in any order.

Now I'll be the first one to say that "how they bill the game" shouldn't affect one's experience of the game, though in general it's very very hard to separate the two. Experience = Excellence - Expectation, and when they hype up this game as the best use of the Wiimote to date (with Wii Motion+) and the controller doesn't necessarily deliver, well... that expectation is going to tarnish your experience naturally.

Speaking of, the game was also advertised with the tagline, "This is how the legend all began!" or something equally cheesy. Except it's not. They have an entire part of the game where you're learning about what happened 1000 years ago or whatever. There is stuff that happened before this game. There's an entire battle - presumably with another Link-like figure - that happened earlier. Yet another game with time travel. You'd think they could let that concept die after having experienced it in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, Wind Waker (technically Hyrule Castle), and Twilight Princess (via the Temple of Time).

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:02 pm

^Not too surprised by that. I've also heard some of them record all the footage well in advance and just have some guy pretending to play and hoping no one notices the movements don't quite sync up.

Skyward Sword died about an hour in for me because I couldn't stand the controls or a large part of the cast. Didn't help that it was full of little things that made me want to go play Twilight Princess or Skies of Arcadia instead, either.

WW's thing is more stasis, in fairness. The gods prevented them all from dying, but they didn't choose to go forward in time and can't choose to go back.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:26 pm

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1526344, member: 19860"]
E3 demos are done with multiple demonstrations running live because bugs, glitches, and crashes happen for them. And so when you see a single-player experience live on screen, there is always at least one other person who is (on a secret screen) playing alongside the first player, mimicking the on-screen player as best they can. Then, if something does go wrong, someone at a control panel immediately flicks a switch to display the next screen in the queue, hopefully without killing too much of the illusion that the player isn't exactly in the same spot. These pairs of players will work closely in the week before E3 to synchronise as much of their gameplay as possible for those "what if" conditions.
[/QUOTE]
heh, so that's what it is. I've seen gameplay split at certain times during demonstration so it certainly explains a lot. think last time I saw this was watching the Diablo 3 demo back when the game was slower and players could be killed gruesomely.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:48 pm

^So you mean when Reggie Fils-Aime played Wii Sports Resort on the jetski he wasn't really going straight into the wall? How unfortunate. Here I thought he just sucked.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:51 pm

[QUOTE="Jesus, post: 1526374, member: 16999"]^So you mean when Reggie Fils-Aime played Wii Sports Resort on the jetski he wasn't really going straight into the wall? How unfortunate. Here I thought he just sucked.[/QUOTE]
Not all demos end up that way. Generally speaking, you try very hard to do it absolutely live and real. However, if something goes wrong and the game hangs, they cut to something else.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:22 am

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1526344, member: 19860"]

It was linear as a walking stick. For a game that claimed to "learn from its predecessor" Twilight Princess, which was also condemned as being linear as a walking stick, Skyward Sword was more so... except with little veiled illusions to make it seem like it wasn't. It was all smoke and mirrors. Take for instance the journey to Dungeon #2 at Eldin Volcano. You've got this very intricate set of corridors through the mountain that Link needs to traverse to reach the dungeon. But the trouble is that it's actually a very well devised maze. And like a maze, there is only one solution. Every alternate path is blocked off (except you can open it up later from the other side to provide shortcuts) and there is a strictly linear path from the start point to the dungeon.

In fact, technically speaking, the only times you have free choice on how to progress the plot are:
- The sky world, where you had free-fly over the entire sky all at once,
- The forest area, where it's not strictly linear but more of a free-flow area where you need to find the Kikwis in any order,
- The Silent Realm areas, where you have to get the 15 Tears of Light (or whatever they were) in any order, and
- The last 1/3 of the game, where you can tackle getting the three parts of the Song of the Hero in any order.

Now I'll be the first one to say that "how they bill the game" shouldn't affect one's experience of the game, though in general it's very very hard to separate the two. Experience = Excellence - Expectation, and when they hype up this game as the best use of the Wiimote to date (with Wii Motion+) and the controller doesn't necessarily deliver, well... that expectation is going to tarnish your experience naturally.

Speaking of, the game was also advertised with the tagline, "This is how the legend all began!" or something equally cheesy. Except it's not. They have an entire part of the game where you're learning about what happened 1000 years ago or whatever. There is stuff that happened before this game. There's an entire battle - presumably with another Link-like figure - that happened earlier. Yet another game with time travel. You'd think they could let that concept die after having experienced it in Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Oracle of Ages, Wind Waker (technically Hyrule Castle), and Twilight Princess (via the Temple of Time).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed response. those issues you mentioned (and the ones AI mentioned) are indeed very valid problems i can understand people having, however these are issues that personally didn't detract from my enjoyment of the game. and i suppose that's all the matters to me personally, it's a binary thing for me, did I enjoy the game or not, if i did, issues don't really bother me as much because I still did enjoy playing the game, and that's all I really want.
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”