Don't expect Zelda Wii U this year... even at E3.

Moderators: Booyakasha, Marilink

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:27 am

And there's nothing wrong with liking something that I don't necessarily think is amazing. :) I'm hoping that you don't feel I'm telling you that you should hate the game. Everyone's allowed to have their opinions, and thinks like "like" and "dislike" are very subjective.

Things about Skyward Sword that I thought were excellent were:
- The way they handled the visuals, particularly when limited to a 480p display in HD. It looked great, whereas Twilight Princess looked great in standard definition but looks ugly as sin in HD.
- The dungeons I felt were good - and some of them GREAT! - and had a decent amount of variety in them. (Specifically, Dungeons #1, #3, #4, #5, and #7 are standouts for me.)
- The Thunderhead was a pretty awesome experience.
- Fi was cool for about the first 1/3 of the game. Then she gets way too hand-holdy.
- I like how the characters in town change what they tell Link as the game goes on. Though really, no one is that concerned over not seeing Zelda?
- I liked the imagination in the upgrade system.
- I liked the sidequests of the characters.

For me, there are shining points in a game that's fraught with so many troublesome bits. The overall theme that I got out of it is that it would have been a pretty good game (for me) if Nintendo didn't interrupt your fun every 2 minutes and tell you how they think you should be playing the game--both in the design and the gameplay elements of it. But it's very easy to see how someone could completely have a yin opinion to my yang.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:03 pm

The style was indeed really pretty. I haven't played TP in HD but I could totally see that not working out well. It's too gritty. Skyward Sword's style was like what you get when TP and WW have a baby.

I actually didn't find the controls to be bothersome. I was already used to TP on the Wii. At the time, I actually didn't realize TP was originally for Gamecube; I just straight up got it for the Wii. I did hate how every Goblin battle in SW felt like a tutorial for how to stab people. So I didn't so much see it as "the controls suck" but rather "they sucked at making the controls fun."
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:45 pm

Skyward Sword's style looked okay. It was going for an impressionist art direction, but most of the scenery wasn't open enough to really capitalise on the impressionist style and ended up looking kind of bland to me.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:55 pm

^That's how I feel about the art style too. While it doesn't look bad by any means, it feels like they tried to capture what was best about both WW's and TP's style and didn't really capture either.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Games that make the claim to be open world on consoles (elder scrolls being the exception) often come up short. The Fable series is probably the biggest offender. All three of them made claims to let you choose sides but ultimately it only came down to your final decision you'd make in the end. Everything else didn't matter. Jade Empire was also like this.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:34 pm

^Having everything come down to the last decision doesn't necessarily make a game open world or not. Plenty of games have meaningful choices spread throughout but are clearly not open world (Mass Effect up to 3), and plenty of clearly open world games don't even have a final choice. (Skyrim and Oblivion, which don't really even have meaningful choices before that, as much as I like them)

I'd agree that there's a shortage of games with important pre-final decisions just in general, but I don't think consoles have any particular problem with games that give the player a significant degree of freedom to explore and approach objectives.

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Important decisions wind up changing the world and the characters you interact with. This in turn requires work on the part of develops. Therefore some find it better to not have any decisions until the very end.

And yeah, it can feel very artificial.

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”