W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝͚̳

Moderator: Scarecrow

ScottyMcGee

Re: W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 20, 2019 4:16 pm

Mutters to self alone in the corner "Hey I liked the Detective Pikachu movie. . . ."

Random User

Re: W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝

Post by Random User » Tue May 21, 2019 1:08 pm

Oh yeah, Detective Pikachu actually ended up being pretty good. I was genuinely surprised by this.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 pm

I found it funnier than the trailer made it out to be, the Mr. Mime scene in particular. They either switched things up in post or reorganized the clips here and there in the trailer so what you thought was said in one scene was actually said in another and it was better played out in the actual movie.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu May 23, 2019 8:39 pm

omg, the Mr. Mime scene had me rolling.
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu May 23, 2019 11:20 pm

I'm glad you guys liked it.

Me? I just couldn't get past my brain screaming "Dead animal!" at me to take in anything (Besides the Avatar-level of cliche storm.)

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon May 27, 2019 6:11 am

i honestly think my biggest gripe with it is just that it was **clearly** pandering to millennials while getting away with having the writing of your average mediocre kids movie

like if i go see some dumb mediocre kids movie and it has bad writing im not gonna write home about it?? but this **** made BANK from nostalgic adults which is why i feel completely validated complaining about it

edit: omg agreed the mr. mime scene was WAY better in the movie than the trailers

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:29 pm

I think it was a good idea that they made some original characters and not go haywire with fan-service. They created a storyline with the main kid and went with it and it was good. Not amazing, of course. But I think this was the best we've had in terms of video game movies. They didn't try to hash in many other characters from the games or try to make another MCU out of it. I thought the Ditto girl was going to be Jessie from Team Rocket but no. Like I said, better they play around first with original characters rather than do something stupid with already established characters and mess something up.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:35 pm

ScottyMcGee wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:29 pm
They didn't try to [...] make another MCU out of it.
We've got Sonic & Mario films still coming, the advertising for this movie very heavily emphasized the SSB Poke-roster, & it used "Happy Together". I think something's about to go wrong in the happy-go-lucky world of Nintendo.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:16 pm

So I got to see the movie - late I know, but the GSR has a $4 movie show.

It's not as bad as I thought it was.
...it was even worse.

The credits were beautiful though. @_@

WB, why couldn't the movie have looked like that?!

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:57 pm

The credits made me even angrier at the rest of the movie because they just teased What Could Have Been

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:27 pm

I mean, one thing I do respect the movie for is that they didn't want to put in several hundred species, but maybe if they animated it and didn't have to spend that much detail on the puppets (and enhancing them with the CGI) they could put in a few background Pokés so that they're not jus the same 70 or so.

Of course I'd say enhancing.... since the quality is really inconsistent. Some like Venusaur, Dodrio, and Eevee look like they're actually there (Albeit stuffed). Some like Machamp look like 1990s FMV era models and they think putting them away from the camera means we won't notice.

Oh trust me WB, we will.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:08 pm

I still haven't seen it. I'm gonna wait till my gf falls asleep tonight then put it on. I know she won't watch it lol.

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”