Pokemon Sword/Shield

I am nobody

Re: Pokemon Sword/Shield

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:43 pm

I'm weirdly into the fashion aspect of Pokemon considering that I put minimal effort into that both in real life and in the game, so they had me at more clothing options. I eagerly await eagerly awaiting every new clothing store only to decide I don't like any of it and sticking with something really basic.

Also, Gigantimax legendaries. I want to cheese the Battle Tower even harder.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:58 pm

I really do hope they give male trainers more clothing options.

Just like Sun and Moon, the female trainer gets so many clothing options whereas the male gets bleeegh.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Solution: always play the girl. USUM was adoooorable
looking up into pure sunlight

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:37 pm

I've been doing that since Emerald. Even before they added clothing options, the female lead's design was always much better.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:43 pm

Touko/Hilda > all!

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:15 am

imagine playing pokemon emerald and NOT going with the dude rocking the greatest fashion statement in history, baggy shorts over baggy pants + that godawful hat

(i have no idea how the manga turned someone with that character design into a fashionista but they somehow made it work)

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 am

For what it's worth, I'd say Brendan is one of the better male designs in that he's actually memorable. If I hadn't just looked up the full list to make sure I wasn't saying something dumb, I couldn't tell you which character went with BW/BW2/XY and you probably could've fooled me with a different generic anime kid if you put a Pokemon hat on him.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:48 am

Yeah, Brendan is great.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:40 pm

Yeah honestly I absolutely love Brendan's design. It's a train wreck but it's fun. No one is gonna forget which gen that monstrosity came from.

I forget the game name for gen 4's protag, but the scarf and hat shape are at least more distinctive. Sinnoh has that cozy aesthetic. Still gets absolutely schooled by how great the female protag design is though.

(I forget all of the game names bc I always name the game characters the manga names bc I'm a weeb)

EDIT: lucas!!! i remembered. still forget the girl's name tho

EDIT EDIT: also oras somehow made brendan's design actually look kind of cool???? i love oras

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:56 pm

Male MCs have been pretty bland since Gen 6. I'd say it's because of player customization but "male trainers have poor customization options" has always been a common sentiment.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Apollo the Just wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:40 pm
EDIT: lucas!!! i remembered. still forget the girl's name tho
Dawn. She was okay.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:21 pm

Marilink wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:03 pm
Here’s the point I was making but with actual numbers:

And this is just from the last 2 generations. It’s just following a precedent set since the very beginning.

We can discuss whether it’s a good precedent or not! But that’s a different point entirely.
It's close but not the same, for reasons mentioned. Admittedly somewhat pedantic but you can't catch them even if you own all the games, you must rely on trades and trades alone, or pay for transfer services/DLC and NSO.

Catching them is satisfying. Trading was a novelty for a few Pokemon if you didn't own all the games, not a core function for hundreds of them.

It's simply untrue that it's "not different." This is absolutely a cashgrab, and trading doesn't change that.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:12 am

I am nobody wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:52 am
For what it's worth, I'd say Brendan is one of the better male designs in that he's actually memorable. If I hadn't just looked up the full list to make sure I wasn't saying something dumb, I couldn't tell you which character went with BW/BW2/XY and you probably could've fooled me with a different generic anime kid if you put a Pokemon hat on him.
consisdering Hilbert looks a LOT like Jaden Yuki (Seriously) and Nate&Rosa look super anime....

I do admit that I like the customisation though, I don't really pay much attention to the base designs of the trainers now since they never wear that outfit or even hairstyle until the end of the game. Hell, they don't even have that hairstyle outside the first couple of TOWNs. :V

I also wish the boys had more hairstyles too. Hey, Japan, boys can have long hair now. OI! At least you let me get undercuts now since those're SOOO popular in the 2010s.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:32 pm

seeing all the discourse about Home made me realize something. I think moving pokemon storage to the cloud with Bank kind of represented a transfer in thinking of pokemon as being "based" in games, and moving some around between games; now it's basically tied to "you" as the player and your cloud pokemon storage account. Even if in practice people have played like that all along, it seems like now you're incentivized to think of all your pokemon across all your games as one central collection, so having some locked out of SwSh initially felt much more jarring.

I think that's why SwSh's practices feel so much more predatory than previous gens. In early pokemon each game was kind of a more standalone experience and you needed to trade to Actually Get Them All, but it was kind of expected you'd do that with friends etc. The transition to a cloud-based model really sells the idea that each game is not its own world; you as the user have an account and are incentivized to Catch Them All, requiring you to pay X to access everything. Functionally things are more or less the same, and in some ways this may be more convenient, it's just more obvious now that the paywall is software as opposed to hardware. The boundaries feel more arbitrary.

anyway I'm rambling. I am very critical of cloud-based sales models; I absolutely understand the positives (hell it's a godsend at my job) but it is also great for companies to be able to re-sell you something you already bought because they control the parameters by which you "own" it.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:12 pm

I can see this being a better way to handle things if you don't collect each game in the series like I used to when I was into mainline Pokemon games. But for people who do get each game, gating off catching Pokemon behind DLC is greedy. It's better than nothing that you can trade for them but why are there even two versions of the game at this point beyond it being a blatant exploitation of collectors? Now you can have both versions and it won't matter, your Pokemon Sword isn't sufficient--you have to trade with the guy who also has Pokemon Sword just like you do, plus the DLC.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:17 am

my spicy hot take is that i think if they were going to introduce home this generation and want to kind of move toward this idea of your greater pokemon "account," this would have been the prime time to try out a mainline installment with only 1 version. One complete game + DLC, and Home later if you want to exchange with previous gens and Go!. People would still be encouraged to trade for starters, fossil mons, etc. It would've been received much better imo - still controversial because of the departure from norms, but seeming less predatory in presentation. Lock out certain pokemon by perceived CHOICE (starters, fossils, etc), not by a perceived paywall (version exclusive).

people would feel better about paying for a game + dlc + home premium for a complete pokemon experience, and since that is what it feels like Pokemon Company wants to sell you, it would've been a smarter move. Keeping two releases as just a gimmick is pointless if you're going to change your market strategy and concept this much, IMO.

anyway i should stop going online and complaining about video games i've never played. curse you fort francis for being so real

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:27 am

Don't forget paying for NSO. Past games had free online trading.

I haven't played it either, but is it true they made the process of online trading worse than previous installments too?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:41 am

They're bringing back GTS with Home (specifically the free version), which is great news. GTS rules. iirc with Premium you can have more offers listed at once or something but the basic functionality is still there if you have online so that's honestly really good news.

(I stan GTS because it got me a feebas in XY)

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:20 am

It's cool they're bringing it back but they're locking improvements behind a paywall? Damn lol. The greed is endless.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:26 am

i mean yeah but i can't blame that on pokemon specifically it's just kind of how **** is now. this is why i only play games that came out in 2003. no subscriptions, no ********, just me and my 2 disks to play 1 video game because all the cutscenes don't fit on one. :p

honestly though I've been replaying X (well not replaying, just messing around in postgame), and I think the online in that gen was really cool. it's still basically a 1p game but you can interact with others just enough, it's always fun to see shout-outs popping up from people all over the world (also people's creative secret bases in ORAS were so fun to explore). ...also it was free lol, im legit going to be really sad when 3ds online support goes down

EDIT: is there a feature like that in SwSh? where you can just see who is Hashtag On Line worldwide? it's a really small thing but it's really fun, especially booting up older games you feel this solidarity with other people who are still playing them.

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”