Can you wall jump back up the shaft just before Super Missiles in Super Metroid?

Moderator: Deepfake

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Can you wall jump back up the shaft just before Super Missiles in Super Metroid?

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:18 am

This probably doesn't warrant an entire topic unto itself but I'm trying to get back up there and it seems impossible. Anyone know if it can be done, and is there even a practical purpose in doing so? I just feel compelled to get back up there.

Also, wall jump controls are super bad.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: Can you wall jump back up the shaft just before Super Missiles in Super Metroid?

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:45 am

You can wall jump up the shaft if you have the patience for it, but it won't do you any good since the collapsing tiles at the entrance will have respawned by the time you get there, preventing you from reaching the top.

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Can you wall jump back up the shaft just before Super Missiles in Super Metroid?

Post by Marilink » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:51 am

I've seen people say the wall jump controls in Super Metroid are bad, but I just have to disagree. If you get next to the wall and hold away from it, Samus gives a pretty clear visual indicator when she's ready to perform the wall jump.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:00 pm

The wall jump controls just take some time to get used to. I think the execution barrier is appropriate considering how powerful it is in SM's gravity.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:38 pm

I'm ungodly awful at wall jumping in Super Metroid. Also in real life.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:06 pm

idk, I kinda get the argument that it is a powerful technique but it is in MMX too, and that is buttery smooth.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:25 pm

Bomby wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:38 pm
I'm ungodly awful at wall jumping in Super Metroid. Also in real life.
Same. I watch these SM runners and think that it might be fun and decide to give it a try, and then I can't hit the basic wall jumps. SM speed running is crazy.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 pm

Wall-jumping in MMX is a much different beast due to level design and other things. You can probably-maybe beat SM without wall-jumping at all. Probably ditto ZM, which makes wall-jumping easier but the gravity makes jumping on the same wall harder.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am

Turning this into a makeshift complaint blog. I'm stuck again. Everything's a dead end or fiery death. Where's the big flashing arrow pointing me where to go? Or at least a naggy sidekick creature to hint at it and explain obvious **** to me.

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:25 am

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:54 am
Turning this into a makeshift complaint blog. I'm stuck again. Everything's a dead end or fiery death. Where's the big flashing arrow pointing me where to go? Or at least a naggy sidekick creature to hint at it and explain obvious **** to me.
bomb literally everything
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:26 am

Marilink wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:51 am
I've seen people say the wall jump controls in Super Metroid are bad, but I just have to disagree. If you get next to the wall and hold away from it, Samus gives a pretty clear visual indicator when she's ready to perform the wall jump.
I sucked at it when I was 12, too. Then I got better at it. It just takes practice. I wall jump without thinking about it now.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:34 am

You wouldn't happen to have the Hi-Jump Boots yet, would you?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:09 pm

Yeah, I just got them actually, but so far so don't think I used them for more than getting out of the room I got them in.

I think it's neat, by the way, that you can enable or disable all the abilities acquired. I've got this triple shot I like so much that I'm considering turning off charging so I can spam it easier.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:32 pm

I'd take AI's advice then.

If you want a more specific pointer,
Spoiler.
go to the top of the elevator connecting Brinstar and Norfair and try bombing the right-hand wall in that room.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:04 pm

Valigarmander wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Spoiler.
go to the top of the elevator connecting Brinstar and Norfair and try bombing the right-hand wall in that room.
Welp, that was it alright, thanks. Is there some kind of indication or hint that I missed or is that just as totally random as it seems?

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:34 am

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:04 pm
Valigarmander wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:32 pm

Spoiler.
Welp, that was it alright, thanks. Is there some kind of indication or hint that I missed or is that just as totally random as it seems?
There's stuff hidden everywhere in indistinct places. Part of the game is searching for things with the tools you've got. This is made easier by the x-ray scope, the power bombs, and the wave beam. Basically, it's supposed to be very hidden from the player. Kind of opposite of the doldrums of glowing arrows leading you everywhere these days, which takes all the thinking out of games IMO. But like I said, when in doubt, bomb literally everything. There's even stuff hidden in lava in some places. Especially be suspicious of walls that just stop flat.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:56 am

Yeah, that's why I was joking about the whole arrow thing, I know this genre is all about exploration. Still, I expected at least some kind of indication for main pathways. If this were any other series I'd have dropped it right away because the "bomb everything" design is the opposite of what I look for in games, but everything about Metroid lures me in. Getting some ways into this game has already put the OST in probably my top 10 for SNES, it's kind of unmatched in what it's going for.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:54 am

Most games aren't as meticulously built. Once you get used to the way rooms and stuff tend to look in the game you can get a feel for how the designers were thinking about hiding things.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:06 pm

That's pretty interesting. I mean, I suck so I got stuck again, but I see what you mean. The rooms all have a very deliberate feel.

Something I noticed about this game is it's tough to reference a guide for how to proceed. Maybe it's because there's freedom in exploration or something.

Return to “Metroid: Self-Destruct Sequence Activated”