The Art... of Spritedude

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: Deepfake

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Re: The Art... of Spritedude

Post by Deepfake » Thu May 09, 2019 2:12 am

Spritedude wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:21 pm
е и ժ е я wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 12:10 am
Can-do m8, your evening good for you?
That should work fine. I guess message me here or on Facebook to work out a specific time?
I'll give you a shout on messenger when I'm up.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri May 10, 2019 3:35 pm

Your art is rad, man. Please keep it up.
boo----------watch him rule the night away

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:44 am

Just finished making something kinda cool. I've been in need of something I could easily show people when they ask what my comic is about, so I made a page of profiles for the six main characters.

(click the image for full size)

Oh yeah I'm working on a superhero comic called The Challengers in case you're new to this thread. I came up with the idea in sophomore year. Of high school. Ten years ago. Gonna make it soon I swear.

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Nice job. I look forward to someday reading your work. Best tip I can give you is to storyboard with some very rough sketches and just get going, it only gets made when you're making it and the storyboarding can help you plan how many panels you need for whatever. Good luck, and don't procrastinate on it.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:15 pm

Still really love your characters, man! I should redraw Trace, or maybe draw any of the others. Whenever you do make your comic, do know that I'll be reading from issue 1. <3

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:44 pm

This is a very strange and specific thing for my brain to hyper-focus on but since Adam was listed as Korean specifically now for the rest of them I'm like "o **** where is Surge's family from? Mexico? Venezuela? WHICH ONE OF THE EUROPEANS ARE FROM FRANCE AND WHICH ONES ARE FROM HUNGARY??????"

....im mostly joking but also legitimately curious

I really dig the UI look of the profiles in addition to the portraits. Good stuff

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:59 am

I kind of glossed over the fact that Adam is the only one I listed as having such a specific heritage. I actually did have more specific family origins in mind for each character, but when I was researching different ethnicities and peoples and family names and such, I kinda just stopped and wondered if anyone would really care about how specific I was trying to be. But I guess the answer to that question might be a yes.

- Adam's mother is of Korean descent and his father is of English decent. His surname is hyphenated, obviously.
- Hector is probably Scottish due to his red hair and surname.
- Surge is of Mexican descent.
- Thorn... Irish or Gaelic descent maybe? I rarely think about his human side since that's the less interesting half of him. To me at least.
- Jewel and Trace, I actually thought of them maybe being Slavic in descent, but I couldn't find any Slavic surnames that I felt were fitting to their characters, so I just listed them as vaguely "European" for now. I gave them the surname "Whitman" as sort of a placeholder name quite a while ago, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it but after a while it just kind of stuck. "Whitman" is an English surname FYI.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Spritedude wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:44 am
Oh yeah I'm working on a superhero comic called The Challengers in case you're new to this thread. I came up with the idea in sophomore year. Of high school. Ten years ago. Gonna make it soon I swear.
Go for it man! Some people say that your childhood ideas should die eventually, but you never know 'till you go for it! I've had my characters for my work-in-progress webseries floating around since 7th grade.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:19 pm

Got a few more. I've been unusually productive this month.

Anyone been watching The Dragon Prince? It's made by Aaron Ehasz, who was the head writer and director of Avatar: The Last Airbender. The show's aim is to be more inclusive than other fantasy stories and I think it very much succeeds in that regard. It's on Netflix, go check it out.

Anyway the titular character, Zym, is the cutest character in all of history. From anything, ever. Of all time.

Uh let's see what else... here's my part of an art trade I did on DeviantArt.

he's the centaur of attention

So a few weeks ago, dreamoftheblue over on DeviantArt favorited one of my drawings of Elteres, my DnD centaur wizard character, and I had actually favorited a drawing of one of her own centaur characters a while ago. I thought this was kinda funny so I pointed it out, and she suggested we do an art trade of each other's characters. A centART trade... i dont know im sorry

Anyways uh, she hasn't quite finished her part but I'll show you guys when it's done.

This may sound a bit weird but, drawing this was sorta surreal, because when I came across this character on the original artist's page, I wouldn't have guessed that she and I were mutual fans, and I'd end up drawing that character myself. It's funny, I spend so much time on the internet admiring other artists and their creations that I forget that they're like... people whom I can interact with.

Anyways, here's another horse, of the my little variety.

I have a handful of favorite MLP characters and I think Sunburst is the only one I hadn't drawn. I know I call things adorbs all the time but

Sunburst is totes adorbs
Deepfake wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:12 pm
Nice job. I look forward to someday reading your work. Best tip I can give you is to storyboard with some very rough sketches and just get going, it only gets made when you're making it and the storyboarding can help you plan how many panels you need for whatever. Good luck, and don't procrastinate on it.
ScottyMcGee wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:15 pm
Go for it man! Some people say that your childhood ideas should die eventually, but you never know 'till you go for it! I've had my characters for my work-in-progress webseries floating around since 7th grade.
I hope to start working on it very soon, for real this time. I have the first 3 chapters written, I just need to start with the thumbnailing and storyboarding and go from there. I do have one more expression sheet that I'd like to get done first though. Jewel is the only main character I haven't done one for yet so that's what I'm currently working on.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Sunburst is totes adorbs!
looking up into pure sunlight

Deepfake
Supermod

Post by Deepfake » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Spritedude wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:19 pm
I hope to start working on it very soon, for real this time. I have the first 3 chapters written, I just need to start with the thumbnailing and storyboarding and go from there. I do have one more expression sheet that I'd like to get done first though. Jewel is the only main character I haven't done one for yet so that's what I'm currently working on.
Awesome, please show when you do that expression sheet!

Love your new stuff, especially your Dragon Prince pic. It's cute, has good style, didn't hear about the series yet so I'm going to check it out. I loved Last Airbender of course, it really hit harder than expected.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:20 am

^Will do. Will do now, in fact.

(Click for full size)

Whew, last one, we did it. Who knew drawing the same characters over and over would take so dang long. That's definitely why it took four years to draw all these. Yep. Jewel has always been the hardest of my characters to draw, I'm not sure why. It might be all her intricate details and accessories that my other characters don't have. Still fun though, especially her crystals.

While drawing this one, I figured out just how much body language contributes to expressions, so I tried to get more of the arms and shoulders involved.

Anyways, I wonder if anyone noticed that the full body drawing looks a little familiar?
{Again, click for full size)

I drew her in the same pose as an old drawing just so I could use it to make another one of these, which are always fun. I'm telling you, if you look back at your old work and cringe, you know you're making progress.

Quick drawing of Trace. He seems to be a crowd favorite already and the comic hasn’t even come out yet.
(I accidentally drew this in a lower resolution so you in fact don't have to click for full size)

Hey, Trace has new hair! It’s less of a redesign and more... me actually putting in some effort in figuring his out design. The side swept look is what I was originally going for in Trace's design, but I think I got kinda lazy with it and strayed closer to the usual simplified spiky hair that I give most of my characters. I like this way better.

His “old” design is back here if you want to compare or anything.

Hm, I guess that’s all for now. Oh, uh, the person I did the art trade with finished her part, if you guys are interested. I said I'd show you.She drew my DnD centaur character, Elteres. I love it. A lot.

Dang, so now those expressions sheet done, I guess there's not much more to do other than to just start the comic, right? :)

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:31 am

Hey so, I wasn't kidding in my last post, I'm really doing it. I've started working on the comic, like for real! Look, I've started thumbnailing the first chapter and everything. I normally wouldn't want to give away too much before I actually release it, but, I figured it'd be cool to show you guys a little preview. Here's pages 1-2.

I'll probably want to get a good dozen or two finished pages ready before I release it officially. Where am I going to release it? Well, here's the thing I'm most excited to share, a dedicated website for the comic!

https://www.challengerscomic.com

Yeah, it's, as you can see, under construction for now. But it's a start, right? I've got my own freaking website with a domain name and everything AGH I haven't been this excited in forever

Thanks guys, for sticking with me all this time. Won't be much longer now.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:04 am

Nice! Good luck with everything. Making a comic and having a domain and everything for it is exhilarating.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:38 pm

that is a huge step congrats!!!!!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Spritedude wrote:he's the centaur of attention
That Jewel character with the ice crystals looks cooler.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:38 am

Yo VGF. Still working diligently on my comic, but in the meantime I've got some new stuff.

I haven't really showcased any villains from my comic lately, have I? Here's one.

I don't know if anyone remembers an old character of mine named Melmazar (here's an old drawing of him from an earlier post in this thread), but this character basically came about as an attempt to revamp that character.

So Melmazar is actually one of my oldest characters. I came up with him way back in middle school. He's a sorcerer with a dark purple hooded robe, glowing eyes, uses wispy purple magic, and was driven insane by "lunar" power.

So now fast forward to a few years ago, when I started playing League of Legends. Turns out, there's a character in that game, who is a sorcerer with a dark purple hooded robe, glowing eyes, uses wispy purple magic, and was driven insane by "the night's chilling embrace". And his name is Malzahar.

Like... excuse me what

There's been many times when I've created something I thought was super original, and then someone tells me it's exactly like an existing thing, but this was on a whole new level. I'm not vain enough to believe Riot had any interest in stealing ideas from an amateur teenage artist on DeviantArt, but still... I dunno. I mean it's not like a purple colored wizard is all that unique in the first place. It's mostly the similar name that threw me off.

Anyways, I took the opportunity to redesign him a bit, so I started by making him a lot younger, like tween-aged. I've always liked the trope of the disturbed child who has superpowers beyond his control (Akira, Chronicle, Brightburn, Genocide Run of Undertale...), so I thought that'd be a good fit. Then I thought, magical powers don't actually fit very well in The Challengers' more grounded, science-y universe, so instead I gave him the power over gravity and black holes. Kinda more scary and intense, I think.

At this point, he's pretty much a whole new character, so I'm treating him as one, and giving him a new name that I think is pretty cool and fitting. He's now The Schwarzchild.

tl;dr I found out my old evil wizard character Melmazar was too similar to a character from LoL, so I reimagined him as kid who controls gravity and black holes.

Uh what else... I've been doing some commissions over on DeviantArt. Here's two robotic anthropomorphic characters I did for one guy.
ImageImage

Robo snek and croc. This was a good opportunity to practice drawing mechanical parts and shading metal. Came out pretty dang cool I think.

Speaking of, since I've actually been doing some commissions here and there, I decided to make a Commission Guide for myself. I'm not showing this to like, promote myself here or anything, I just think it's kinda cool and wanted to share. All this stuff of publishing websites and accepting commissions... I've never done anything like it before, it's really exciting.

Anyways it's kind of huge so I'm just gonna link it. Clicky the image.

Last thing, I actually bought Clip Studio Paint since it was on sale last week. Photoshop is great and all but the version I use is like 12 years old at this point, and I'd rather not pay for Adobe's new subscription based model so I figured I'd try CSP out. A lot of people swear by it, and honestly I can see why. It's definitely tailored more towards digital artists rather than general graphics editing. I spent some time messing with it and ended up drawing Kass from Breath of the Wild.
*swoon*

I don't know if the end result looks any nicer than usual but it definitely felt easier and faster than Photoshop, and that's worth it alone. CSP also has tools specifically for making comics so I'll have to mess with those too.

I dunno if I'm going to completely abandon Photoshop just yet, but experimenting with new programs can't hurt.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:10 am

Impressive as always. :thumbsup:

I noticed this thread is nearly eight years old. You've improved a whole lot in that time.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:57 am

That robo crocodile gives me strong DKC vibes, it'd look really cool as a 3D enemy in one of the games. Looks very good.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:42 pm

Very glad to see that your artwork has been continuing to get consistently better, man. Love your stuff.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”