The Art... of Spritedude

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: Deepfake

smol Kat

Re: The Art... of Spritedude

Post by smol Kat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:31 pm

I REALLY like Melmazar. You convey the concept extremely well.
looking up into pure sunlight

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:41 pm

MOAR.

Man, this thread is almost ten years old, isn't it? I've seen a lot of people throwing together Decade in Review's for their artwork so I thought I'd do the same. I basically just chose my personal favorite drawing from each year. Hopefully it doesn't break anyone's computer.

Click on the years to see the full size image.

2010: This one was kind of a milestone for me. I shared it with a Pokemon group on DeviantArt, and ended up getting more than 40 favorites. Before then I was getting like, single digits for every drawing. It kinda showed me that getting my art "out there" required a bit more effort than just posting it and hoping people find it. Sometimes you gotta utilize social networks and niches.

2011: Just Garrus from Mass Effect. Calibrations.

2012: My first digital drawing of Donut Raptor. A character I came up with while goofing around in art class in high school.

2013: This was when I was coming up with concepts for a sci-fi setting for a comic idea that hasn't really gone anywhere since. A lot of people seemed to like this design. It's supposed to be a jellyfish/amoeba type of alien that inhabits a mechanical steampunk-ish exosuit.

2014: I think I was finally starting to get the hang of lighting and colors around the time I drew this. I also submitted it to possibly be featured as fan art during the credits in episodes of RWBY. They didn't pick it.

2015: I didn't do a whole lot in 2015 for some reason. I think I was going through kind of an art depression. I don't even particularly care for this one but it did get me a fair bit of karma on the Yooka-Laylee subreddit. It's still pretty high on the top All Time, I think.

2016: A friend's DnD character. He's a birb.

2017: Still one of my personal favorite drawings. I dunno, everything about it just encapsulates my style perfectly.

2018: A commission I did for a friend. Still probably the most ambitious drawing I've done. It took like an entire month. Worth it though, I love how the shading and cast shadows came out.

2019: Jewel, a character from my comic The Challengers. Finally trying to get that going soon. Not the "hopefully I work on this eventually" attitude I've had for the past decade, I mean like actually for real working on it.

Time will tell what the next decade will have in store, I suppose. Anyway here's a few newer things:

So I've been taking some commissions from people on DeviantArt, and uh... it's literally all been furries. Not that I have a problem with that or anything, but like... I dunno. ANYWAY. Here's a commission I did of a Viking Gryphon character.

I need to find out who invented chain mail and... think angry thoughts about them.

Here's some traditional art for once. I haven't used watercolors since I was like, 10, but I thought I'd give them a shot. Turns out they're actually a pretty dang good fit for my style, and compared to the Copic markers I use they're way quicker and more cost effective. I remember one time I drew something on a 11x17 bristol board and had to painstakingly color the entire board in with markers. That would've taken like, minutes with watercolors. So anyways I thought I'd draw Donut Raptor to test them out.

Last one:

Animorphs was one of my favorite book series as a kid. I never actually finished it so I've been reading all the books again. I'm a sucker for adorkable characters so Ax is easily my favorite.

(For those who aren't familiar with the series, Ax is member of the Andalites, a blue centaur-ish alien race who have the ability to morph into other animals/species, and are the ones who gave the Animorphs their powers)

So anyways yeah I drew Ax from Animorphs.
Last edited by Spritedude on Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:19 pm

BLAKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE <3
looking up into pure sunlight

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:00 am

That Lugia piece is honestly still amazing. There's something really special about That Kind of milestone, where you start to really feel like your work is reaching and inspiring other people. That's awesome, dude. It's cool to see how you've carved out your style over the years.

Also I really dig that watercolor dinosaur. Your ability to excel in a variety of styles and mediums is really, really impressive.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:11 am

Heyo, I'm still alive, just fell out of the habit of posting regularly once again. Hope everyone's staying safe and healthy.

Just got a few things to share.

Remember that drawing I did of my co-worker who happens to be a dog? Well his owner decided to commission another drawing of him along with his two other dogs, to use in a service animal training business he's starting.

His business is themed around Norse mythology, hence why Mjolnir is on the ground there.

This one is another commission, of someone's DnD character, an Aarakocra Fighter/Sorcerer.

I sure have drawn a lot of birdmen. >_>

OH, another thing that I need to brag about! That drawing I did of Ax from Animorphs? The author of Animorphs herself, Katherine Applegate, actually saw it and replied to it on Twitter.

Life freaking made. I love being an artist sometimes.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”