The Art... of Spritedude

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:17 pm

Story time. This is Donut Raptor, the donut-loving raptor. He started as an in-joke, when one of my friends and I just kinda randomly thought it'd be funny if a raptor was eating a donut, so I drew it, and this character was born. What I'm doing with him nowadays, is making him a background cameo character, so in my comics (when I get around to publishing them), you'll see this guy hidden in the background of a panel occasionally. I hate to make this comparison, but, yes, he's like Derpy Hooves.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:22 pm

I imagine him being voiced by Ernest Borgnine.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:42 pm

*looks up the name*

Oh, it's the guy who voices Mermaid Man.

I see him being voiced by Tom Kenny for some reason, though I've never really imagined him with a voice before now, I thought he would just roar or screech as he chases down his victims.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Mostly, I just imagine him saying "DONUTS" the same way Mermaid Man does.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 pm

DID SOMEBODY SAY DONUTS?

BOY, DO I LOVE DONUTS!

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:24 pm

[QUOTE=Anyone, ever]DID SOMEBODY SAY DONUTS?

BOY, DO I LOVE DONUTS![/QUOTE]

:)

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 am

You remember this guy, right? He was in the first picture I posted in this thread, and I think one group picture after that. His name's Warpster (real name Adam Webster). He's one of the main characters in my superhero comic, The Challengers. He has the super power to propel himself in any direction at high speed, which he uses to fly, or move so fast that he appears to teleport.

I decided to give him a slight "update". I kept the same overall color scheme and design, but gave him a wing design on his shirt, darker faded jeans, and desaturated most of the colors.

Not quite sure how I feel about the drawing itself. He looks "cartoonier" than usual, which wasn't really intentional. But I like how his pose came out, first picture I've drawn of him in which he actually looks heroic.

I've been wanting to change his alias/superhero name, since I've never liked it, like, ever. I thought of calling him Silverwing, which I like a lot better, but that makes me think of Pokemon Silver, I dunno. If you guys can think of a cooler name, let me hear it.

You know what I need to start doing? Backgrounds. >_>

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 am

Actually, Silverwing makes me think of the Silverhawks.

And a little bit Quicksilver.

That looks like a decent character design, though. Have you put much thought into the whole wrap-on-the-leg thing?

I like your shading, btw. I think you could step it up by trying out a few more light sources, or just trying a new technique or two, but it's effective all the same. If you'd like a bit more control with those soft brushes and your lines, try actually drawing your highlights and shadows using a hard brush on separate layers, and then using a soft eraser to define the gradient of the shading. That way, you can get more variety in the distribution of highlights and shadows. I can illustrate an example for you, if you like.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:39 am

how is it that the lines on the clothes you draw actually make the clothes look like clothes

TEACH ME YOUR SECRETS

also, like AI, I must say I'm very curious about the leg-wrap. Unless it's just rule of cool, which is also cool.
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 am

Silverwing makes me think more of Nightwing.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:50 am

[quote="AI]That looks like a decent character design"]

I know what you mean, I've seen in comics and such how they use a combination of both soft and hard shading, and I see how it should work. I usually add a gradient over the flat colors in all my drawings to sort of simulate that effect, and for the Donut Raptor picture, I kinda tried harder to get that effect by using a soft brush to add soft shading over the hard shadows (which didn't turn out exactly right). I never thought to use a soft eraser, though. I'll have to try that out.

My shading tends to use a top-left light source, unless the specific picture calls for a different one, but that's just cause I'm most comfortable with it. I'll have to dabble with some different sources. Some backlighting could be fun to try.

I think I added the leg and arm wrappings cause it simply looked cool with his scarf, as well as to give him this "martial artist/fighter" look, and I kinda like the asymmetry. I'm not sure it would really have any practical use though, if that's what you were wondering. =/

[quote="CuccoLady]how is it that the lines on the clothes you draw actually make the clothes look like clothes[/quote"]

I used to ask the same question, and sometimes still have problems with it. It's a little hard to explain, and takes practice, but you just kinda have to learn how clothes and folds flow. Eventually you start to remember "common" folds like under the armpit or around the knee. Study from picture references if you can, it helps wonders.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:19 pm

Okay, well I liked your Raptor pic a lot so I chose that to build an example for you. I'll provide some brief explanations for a few stages in the process.

Stage 1 - base. I grabbed your lines from the picture by using the Color Range function in the Select menu, and copied them to a new layer. It grabbed some of your shadow tones (including the donut shading), because I had it set to a wide threshold, but I mostly ignored it as this is just an example image. I used the Magic Wand Selection tool, set to Contiguous, to grab the empty areas OUTSIDE the lines, and then used the Invert Selection function in the Select menu to make the inside of the lines the active area. With the inverse of the lines still selected, I created and switched-to a layer beneath the lines. I used the fill tool to create a white base in that layer, beneath the lines. Some of the smaller bits, like the tongue, didn't close off properly for the magic wand, so I had to color the white in manually. The base red color was chosen from your existing image - you don't have to start with a middle tone but it's easy to break the image elements down into base/shadow/highlight. I created a layer beneath the lines and above the white base, and colored the appropriate areas with that neutral red.

Stage 2 - hard shadows. I prefer to work negatively with light and shadow, where I am drawing the light reflecting on a dark object. To create the shadows, I duplicated the red base-layer and set it to Multiply. I then looked over your original image to chose one strong identifiable light direction (on the leg), and set about erasing the shadow - drawing the light - into the body. I put a strong emphasis on which parts of the body would be placed in shadow due to the upper-left light source positioning, noting which body parts would be obstructed from the light by other body parts. Rather than try to get the shadow positioning perfect, I settled for a general part-way-point between light and shadow, so I had room to use my soft eraser in the next step, without totally eroding the shadow.

It's important to note that I wasn't using a "soft" eraser here, but the "flow" was turned down. That way I keep the proper weight of the strokes, but the edges look more natural. Also, the shape of the brush is calligraphic - slanted to the side and a long-flat oval shape. You get a much more fluid change in thickness with your brush, if you're using calligraphic-style. If you want the brush to apply evenly, you'll also have to crank the "Spacing" of the brush (located in Window -> Brushes -> Brush Tip Shape) to get rid of those wiggles that Photoshop drops in your images (it's actually re-stamping a rounded brush shape very rapidly, and this makes it do it more frequently).

Stage 3 - using soft erasure to depict curved surfaces. This is all about the depth and observing the surfaces that are going to deflect light back at the viewer, but less so. Curvature is not easy to depict, so it will take a few tries. Use a ROUND (not calligraphic), soft brush. Preferably, one with pressure control for size - the less pressure the narrower (but not completely narrow - that will make the brush harder and smaller than you want it). Using fixed sizes is possible, but it will just make it more difficult. Before you start softening your hard shadows, duplicate the shadow layer and turn one off. That's your backup, in case you want to try it again.

Don't light it too brightly, you can't show depth in flat images without contrast, and you need that shadow to contrast. You may have to adjust the hue and the saturation of your shadow to better accentuate the image, but because it's on a separate layer you can leave that until you want to fiddle with your contrast (preferably after the highlights are in).

Stage 4 -Highlights - the highlights are the opposite of shadows, you want to use them sparingly. Only put them on the surfaces directly reflecting the light source to the viewer, and only put them in the dead center of those surfaces. The smaller the highlight, the more glint it will have - it makes the light look direct and strong. Apply more and larger highlights to those surfaces of the subject that are CLOSER to the light source to show depth of light. Use your soft eraser to tweak these, as well, but they work nearly as well without a lot of softening. The larger the highlight, the more of it there is to soften (similar to broad curvatures requiring broad eraser strokes in shadowing).

Note: My highlights were the same color as the base, set to Color Dodge.

Finalize it! - I've applied quite a few final touches, here, to give it that finished look. First things first, I changed the shadow layer's hue, saturation and darkness values. It's good to make your colors dynamic, but don't bother messing with it until you're done with the rest. I used the Magic Wand tool to grab the area outside of the white base layer (which was more solid than the lines, once it was finished) and drew in the general background. When images are in motion, you only need to hint at a suggested background, usually because location has already been established by previous panels in a comic or frames in an animation. At first, I only used large soft brushes with a green and a light blue color, to suggest plantlife and sky.

I did some quick work over the eye and mouth on new layers, which imitated the shading process I'd done for the rest of the image. The many small, bright highlights on the tongue help illustrate that it is moist and therefore more reflective of light. The eye actually employs some reverse-shading, to suggest that it is both translucent and also reflecting the actual scenery not depicted in the foreground. This is accomplished by lightening the shadow in a direction opposite the lightsource.

I then selected the entire image, and used the Copy Merged function in the Edit menu to duplicate the flattened picture, and pasted it onto a new, top layer. I used the Median Filter tool (Filter -> Noise -> Median) to cause the colors to blend with the black lines, to the point where the black was almost entirely removed. This distorts this layer, but that is the point. I then set the layer to Lighten blend mode, which causes the black lines to soften to a more painted appearance. You may need to adjust the opacity controls to control the amount of black being overridden by the colors. You can also create a duplicate of the top layer (the Median one, set to Lighten), and turn it off (again, it is a backup). Then erase with a semi-opaque, soft brush to allow the definition of the blacks to come through where it has been affected to the detriment of the image.

After that, I used the Copy Merged function, again, to create a new top layer. I used the Motion Blur filter (Filter -> Blur -> Motion Blur) to a directionally streaked version of the image, to indicate motion. I set the layer's opacity to somewhere around 50%, and then used a soft image to erase most of the blurred version of the image - leaving a few bits of the Motion Blur around limbs and so on to indicate the direction of the movement.

Again, I used the Copy Merged function, to create another flat layer on top. I then used the Levels menu (Image -> Adjustments -> Levels) to remove Green color from the mid-to-lower shadow tones, which actually made the background by majority a purple tone. I then used a very large, soft eraser brush to erase the middle of the image back in, creating the color warp you see around the edges of the image.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:26 pm

And then awesomeness broke out.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:44 pm

O_O I am speechless. AI you are the most awesome person ever. I'll definitely try these techniques out, maybe figure out how to "meet halfway" with my crisp comic book/manga style. But, dang dude, thanks for taking the time to help me out like this, you definitely cleared some things up and taught me quite a bit. And you made Donut Raptor look more awesome. :D

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 am

Took me a month, but look, new art.

This is my character Jewel from the comic I'm working on, I think I posted another picture of her before. She has the super power to manipulate crystals, which she usually pulls out of the ground and sends toward her opponents.

I for the most part used the technique AI showed above, and used a tutorial on DeviantArt for coloring the crystals (which was really fun). I was gonna try a background this time, but I got [strike]lazy[/strike] the idea halfway through that using transparency to make it look like the crystals are coming out of whatever background the image is posted on would look cool.

Also, I decided to make a "progress" image showing each step. It's pretty large, so I'll just link to it: [link]

Here's what I did in each step.
1: Sketched out the picture on paper with pencil.
2: Scanned the picture, opened it in PS, and then digitally inked it, probably the most tedious part in my opinion. >_< I made a few tweaks to the drawing, like her jacket, hair, and neckline of her shirt.
3: Added the flat colors.
4: Added gradients to the flat colors just to make them less... well, flat.
5: Shaded the picture using a layer set to "multiply". I used a top-left source as usual. >_>
6: Used a soft eraser to erase parts of the shading to show curvature and such (I might have overdone it)
7: Added highlights on a layer set to "screen".
8: Colored the crystals and eyes, and messed with the contrast.
9: Finalized the picture by tweaking the colors, used "liquefy" to change the shape of her face, and used free transform to make her a bit taller.

I kinda like this slightly more cartoonish style I've been doing, it feels more "alive", though I could work on giving my characters more expression, they always look so blank. >_>

EDIT: Cleaned up the color outside the lines that AI pointed out.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:05 am

This is one of my new fav topics. :D Great job(s) ^_^
-I'm Vgfian

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Dude! That's so great. I can tell you played with it enough to really "get" what I was saying about the erasure/gradient stuff. Love the color coordination, it works for me even if I wouldn't have chosen those colors! (I'm addicted to violet/blue and brown/gold/green)

Here's some hopefully helpful criticisms: Action like casting spells is sort of high-fiction, so it's usually best to draw a character in a very exaggerated/harsh state. Make her almost hunched with the force of her power, with her hair going airborne and the eyes wild and the fingers of the hand taught/contorted with strain.

That crystal technique's looking decent, but I'd also like to share something I had to learn the hard way: Kill the black lines on the edges internal to reflective objects. If it's an edge in highlight, the black will interrupt it in a way that detracts! These should be the brightest point of the crystal, if they're in light. You could get away with inverting them to white pretty easily.

Those lines on the body, internal to the image, are so perfect. Can tell you went through a drafting process (unlike half the stuff I throw on the net), it really makes a big difference.

Consider the kind of talent you're showing here, I'd really enjoy doing a collab image some time!

(btw, her left leg, color got ouside the line because PS is a dick, might want to fix that)

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm

She must be the architect for the Fortress of Solitude.

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:51 pm

I left a comment on DA, so yeah. One thing I failed to mention was how expressionless she appeared, although you seemed to notice, so no need to bother saying XD

If I might offer a bit of counter-criticism to what Cosmonautical said about people's posture when casting spells and such, I'd like to say that the details he described struck me as, like, someone who heavily feels the "recoil" of the action they're performing, as someone who has little control or experience with the spell, or whatever. Contrast someone who is standing calmly, doing little more than waving his/her arm, and having the same effect, that shows that person is in control. That being said, whichever posture more accurately reflects how Jewel there has a handle on her powers is what I would recommend you show her doing. XD

As for that bit about lighting and outlines or whatever, well, that's over my head. XD;

Also, I think I like the crystals cracking out of a green ground better than the beige of DA. XD (My VGF is set to NC skin >w>)

:)

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:49 pm

As opposed to my sketchy, dirty style.

Love the work, Mr. Spritedude. I do hope you keep all this up. I've known many an artist who lose interest in drawing despite getting better and better at it.

For my two cents on constructive criticism, her right sleeve doesn't seem to line up to where I assume her upper arm is, behind her back. It looks like she's lacking an upper arm. It just looks awkwardly empty, unless either the sleeve lines up, or an arm is made visible.

Despite such, it all looks fantastic. Very professional and clean-looking. Surely you'll show us this comic once you get around to finishing it.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”