The Art... of Spritedude

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Gabriel wrote:If I might offer a bit of counter-criticism to what Cosmonautical said about people's posture when casting spells and such, I'd like to say that the details he described struck me as, like, someone who heavily feels the "recoil" of the action they're performing, as someone who has little control or experience with the spell, or whatever. Contrast someone who is standing calmly, doing little more than waving his/her arm, and having the same effect, that shows that person is in control. That being said, whichever posture more accurately reflects how Jewel there has a handle on her powers is what I would recommend you show her doing. XD
I can agree somewhat, that a concept of "degree of mastery" is certainly something you can show through calm. I was more addressing how the casting of magic is actually not a dynamic thing, and that in a story-telling setting an artist will usually want dynamic action. A sword requires a sword swing, etc. Static art is very difficult to engage an audience with, and sometimes as artists we need to make these kinds of compromise.

To show the degree of mastery you're describing, this kind of image could work very well. It would need to be contrasted by a visual example of the opposite to achieve the context necessary for a viewer to understand the "control" displayed inherently through a calm gesture. So if that's the effect an artist wants, it would be best to use this sort of thing as an "odd-one-out" scenario, or draw attention to it with dialogue preceding. I could imagine her criticising her opponent's unprofessional technique and form, and then as a display of power cause a rush of crystals to erupt from the ground, all but stopping short of doing any damage beside the superficial to her opponent.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Cosmonautical]Here's some hopefully helpful criticisms: Action like casting spells is sort of high-fiction wrote:
While her power isn't quite that stress-inducing to use, I do agree her pose or the angle could be a lot more dynamic, at least more than just standing there. In response to what Gabe said, she does have easy control over her powers, but I should at least make it look like she's giving effort when she uses them. Even if I keep the pose and make her "calm" while using her powers, a simple dynamic angle could've made the picture more exciting. She should've been pointing and shooting her crystals at us, not over to the side.
Consider the kind of talent you're showing here, I'd really enjoy doing a collab image some time!
Absolutely. Any time! :D
Antisocial]For my two cents on constructive criticism wrote:
I was a bit iffy on that myself. I think the problem is more that her sleeve is sticking out too much, and doesn't line up with where her arm should be.
Surely you'll show us this comic once you get around to finishing it.
Of course. I wouldn't spend this much time on something just to keep it to myself. :p

So the things I should work on are expressions, more dynamic poses, and try doing backgrounds for once. Basically just ways to give my drawings more "life". Other than that, I can't thank you guys enough for all the praise. Really, it's awesome.

Inspiration increased by +10

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Your art is just so pleasing to look at. It all looks so complete and finished and perfected. :{DD

I'm gonna repeat AI here on the black lines on shiny things thing-- you know what I mean-- but everything else is just so awesome. I can totally see your comic being REALLY pleasing to look at. And hopefully really cool. yknow.
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Yeah actually, usually I'm a fan of characters not facing perfectly forward (I guess) but that does sound like it would work well with this picture, assuming the crystals didn't really obscure Jewel that much. XD

Maybe the best way to work on backgrounds it to just do a piece on landscape or whatever? I probably need practice as well. XD

:)

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:48 am

Right, so concerning expressions and dynamic positions, I did this for you and it's yours now provided you credit me where printed or whatever! I hope it helps a bit, and thanks for taking it in stride that I've been redoing your stuff (it's the only way to really "show" what you could be doing, in earnest).

I forgot her necklace because I finished it at 12 at night, but anyway - the background is where I put the crystal because it's a bit of a showy composition that one might use as a chapter cover, etc. To illustrate crystals actually erupting from something is another ball park, and I'm not about to address illustrating the force of that. Mostly, it's compositional shaping - you would best depict it by showing it in collision with other objects and depicting their reaction to the force.

BTW, guys, if you're an aspiring artist and you want help on a particular subject, it's cool to ask me. I'll redo your stuff for a small fee, if you're interested. I'd do it free but I actually have to dedicate time that could be paid for to do this sort of thing. Not trying to be spammy, but I realize you're all a crazy imaginative bunch, and sometimes it's easier to get a "pro" to figure it out.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:15 am

Love, love, love it. Usually when other people draw my characters, they feel they need to change the design to suit their "style", and sometimes they look like a completely different character. But this, this I could look at all day and still think it's awesome. The picture is spot on and true to the original design and style. Heck, I don't even mind that you forgot her necklace (even if it's probably the most important piece to her design, story-wise =P). You made her look just like the action comic book superhero that I pictured her to be, and if I need to practice my butt off to be able to do that myself, then that's what I'll do, I'm probably even closer than I think.

AI, words can't express my gratitude for the time you've taken to help and inspire me, thank you.

And of course, I appreciate the praise and critique from everyone else as well, you're all awesome.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:40 am

Glad to hear your approval. I think the key point here is that I started with slightly greyed colors, more than anything, and that made the bright colored highlights more apparent. If I had to describe a process, it would pretty much be the raptor pic with obviously a few minorly different twists. This was drawn at A4 international standard size, at 300 dpi (around 2400 pixels wide I think), the lines were a 7px calligraphic brush on a pressure sensitive tablet. If you want crisp edges, I suggest you draw large and re-size the image to a lower resolution afterwards. If you have layer blending effects turned on, like stroke or drop shadow, you will have to merge your layers before you resize (stroke width does not resize with the image).

If you have RAM issues with large images, there's a technique you can use for crisp detail that I make use of occasionally, but mostly for concepts design:

Find an area of your lower-res image that requires detail that would be 3px or less in size, grab it with the square selector tool.

Use the Copy Merged function in the Edit menu.

Start a new image with PS, it will automatically have the dimensions of your selection so you don't fiddle with that.

Paste the selection into the new image.

Resize the image to 200% or 400% of its original size. Now you can use larger brushes on it.

When you're done doing detailing, resize to its original size - 50% if you did 200, 25% if you did 400. Sharpen it if it's losing too much detail. You can actually flatten it, duplicate the image, and sharpen that one, then mess with the sharp layer's opacity to fiddle with it live.

Copy your resized image in its original dimensions, now with extra detail.

Open your original project window, you should still have the area you'd just grabbed as your selection. Press CTRL+V or use paste from the Edit menu, it will paste into the image.

Duplicate the layer so you've got a backup, turn off the backup.

Use a soft eraser to erase the edges into the image. Used well, you can get this kind of detailed result:

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj35 ... ero_hd.png

That resolution is the full resolution of the original project. If you don't have gigs worth of extra RAM, and PS is slow as a lead brick, try this technique.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Sweet picture, AI. I'm loving the comparisons and contrasts between the original and yours. All the artists on this site are improving so much, and it's cool to see it happening!
Carthago delendum est

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:19 am

Well done, Spritedude!! You're definitely showing so much improvement!!! *gives you marshmallows*

And sweeeeet, AYEEYE!!! Very very nice!!!! *pops a marshmallow into your pocket* :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:25 pm

It's been far too long.

I've been working on this off and on for month or so. It's funny how when I finally sit down and really work on something, I can get it done in a day or two. So yeah, this a "teaser" for the comic I'm working on, showing the 6 main characters (all of which I'm sure I've posted before).

I'm pretty sure I got a few proportions wrong, it's weird when you're drawing just one half of the face. Other than that I'm happy with how it came out. The eyes were pretty fun to do, and as simple as they look, I liked drawing Hector's (second guy form the left) goggles.

On another note, I've recently acquired one of these:

I've only had a little time to mess with it so far, but I already freaking love it. It should boost my productivity tenfold, so hopefully I'll be showing drawings more frequently.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:32 pm

How interesting.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:57 am

The Challengers approaches!

You can use that as your tagline. I give you permission.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:54 am

That looks like a pretty sweet tablet. I should look into getting a newer one soon, but the laptop I got hasn't earned its cost back yet.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:08 am

I'm considering procuring a tablet of that ilk.
Spritedude wrote:On another note, I've recently acquired one of these:

SCORE

How much was it?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:30 am

Can I just say your ability to draw a dog face-forward and have it totally look like a dog and be adorable and kind of awesome at the same time is commendable

ok I said it

also DAMN that tablet looks awesome. Kudos all around.
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:47 am

Antisocial wrote:How much was it?
I got it for around $900. Quite a bit of money for an amateur artist my age, but it's definitely worth it to me.
CuccoLady]Can I just say your ability to draw a dog face-forward and have it totally look like a dog and be adorable and kind of awesome at the same time is commendable[/quote wrote:
XD He's a wolf, actually. Close enough. Either way, glad you commend my canine-drawing abilities.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 am

Wolves are a breed of dog! ;)

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Really makes me want to get a tablet fffffffff

:)

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:52 pm

Just to show how quickly I'm whipping up drawings with this thing, I've already made this:

This is Dr. Sirius Nova (usually referred to as Dr. Nova, or just Nova), one of the few main villains of the comic. I want to say he fits the "mad scientist" archetype (though I don't like my characters to fit certain stereotypes or cliches), he runs an underground organization that runs biological and genetic experiments, specializing in giving humans supernatural abilities.

I got a bit of inspiration from Albert Wesker of the Resident Evil series. In fact, I used this picture as a reference for the pose.

I'm not sure if I consider this his final design. Probably not. He feels a little too plain, like he's missing something, something to make him stand out from being a simple scientist in a lab coat. Maybe you guys could help me think of something.

Lilac DownDeep

Post by Lilac DownDeep » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:50 pm

The mad scientist looks good, really. c: I really like your coloring though.

I guess for an addition I could suggest making him look... I don't know, older? Include wrinkles, though it's really hard to put in fine lines in cartoony styles. At least without making it look ridiculous. I don't know the personality of the character outside of the Mad Scientist archetype, so I can't suggest adding baggy eyes or dark circles around him.

The other thing that might be missing is the movement of the figure in terms of their personality. You know, making him hunched over or tired/crazy looking. Unless he's supposed to give out an air of authority and a 'come at me, bro' persona, then I guess that can be ignored.

Anyway those are my suggestions for you. I'm not THAT good at older figures myself so it's not much.

EDITS] Also that chin. See if you can find picture of people with different jaws and see if you can find a good style for him. He looks a bit generic anime with that chin.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”