Why yes, I do post in Who's on Top 379, how could you tell?

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: Why yes, I do post in Who's on Top 379, how could you tell?

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:16 am

Oh hey, a top.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:27 am

Oh hey, stale chips for my Taco Bell nachos.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:32 am

Man I went on a Wendy's run last night after werewolf and my sandwich was completely raw in the middle. I'm really sad! I wanted to eat it. Spicy nugs were dope though.
all the lessons learned will carry us through the unknown

steeze

Post by steeze » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:09 am

that's actually the first wendys complaint of that nature i've ever heard.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:29 am

Honestly same and I feel bad because they're the only place open that late so they get backed up and they gave me free **** for waiting and that was delicious. But I'm going to politely ask for a free sandwich for lunch today. I still want one!
all the lessons learned will carry us through the unknown

glux

Post by glux » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:54 pm

Wendy's is delicious, but the one that used to be out here was just so slow all the time.
One time I was the only customer, lobby or drive-thru, and it still took 10 minutes to get my food. :/
Now the closest one is 10 minutes away...

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:56 am

me playin with my toy cars

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:10 am

mrow

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:44 am

I didn't expect much from a western-made Netflix original animation based on a Japanese video game franchise, but Castlevania is surprisingly good. I got some issues with it but I'm actually looking forward to the next season.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:56 pm

i hope technology advances to the point that games like tropical freeze can run with virtually non-existant load times. compared to the snes dkcs where you select a level and you have control within two seconds, the long loading screens in tf kill the momentum for me, and that's on top of additional level select and intro animations.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:44 pm

I'd take 10x the loading if developers could manage half the quality and a fraction of the charm of Rare's 2D DK games. DKCR & DKCTF are fine games in their own right but they just don't match up to the classics at all, imo.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:54 am

DKCR is decent, but I think Tropical Feeeze absolutely hangs with the OG series.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:24 pm

this turned into a rant so please skip it thanks:

The original DKCs have a better visual aesthetic and stronger atmospheric art and sound design. They also had a slight slant toward some semblance of realism (especially DKC1), and that's entirely gone in Retro's games. I also think the enemies were better, especially the Kremlings but even just the regular animal enemies. They added new Kongs in each installment, new animal powerups, etc, and that "new" factor is absent too. In fact, it's reduced with some many characters and animal powerups missing, let alone no new ones being added. Half the levels seem like they're always collapsing or you're being chased in TF, too, idk what that's about but those are annoying and not fun (same for the rocket levels).

I also don't feel like the difficulty in TF was fair, so it was even a step back from DKCR in that sense. I just piled up on powerups with Funky Kong and bulldozed my way through because I felt like if the game wasn't going to play fair then neither was I. The inclusion of those powerups (and later Funky) seem to be a tacit acknowledgement of the poor difficulty implementation/level design, as if they're there to do the balancing for them the lazy way. As for the charm, that's even more subjective but I think it's a common sentiment that Rare had a particular way about them that other developers didn't, and it showed in their games. They had a lot of personality.

TF added some neat things like the silhouette levels, but I'm fairly certain they got that from one of the Rayman games which released prior to it. The music is really good, but unmemorable aside from the abundant amount of remixes they rely on. Physics feel a little delayed and slippery too, swimming feels weird (and also like Rayman, kinda?). Even Donkey Kong's voice is worse; here's a discussion and comparisons of them, the modern sound just sucks.
Spoiler.

/end of dk rant

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:27 am

I have yet to play Tropical Freeze. I enjoyed DKCR but there was something missing. It had great visuals and was a great platforming experience. But it was missing that "je ne sais quoi" from being made by Rare. I think I remember not feeling the music was up to snuff in DKCR. The ending was also too cartoony. DK punches the moon. Like. What? It was SO stupid.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:58 am

I have HBO Now and Netflix.

I can't believe all the shows I've missed out on. The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm

I think the music in Tropical Freeze is the 2nd-best soundtrack in the whole series, behind only DKC2--and that's barely a fair comparison, since DKC2 is David Wise's magnum opus.

I think the difficulty and curve in Tropical Freeze is completely fair. It's not easy, but it's not unfair.

I'd agree about the enemy variety and design, but that's one of my only complaints with what I otherwise consider a 10/10 game.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:12 pm

i dont have a lot of really "genuine" complaints about tropical freeze (aside from the lack of variety in bonus rooms), it's just a very well-realized interpretation of a donkey kong country game that doesn't quite gel with my own personal vision for the series.

anyway yeah i need to get netflix i wanna watch the new breaking bad movie

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:52 pm

The breaking bad movie was good when I watched it and like an hour later I hated it

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:25 pm

thats how i feel about most media

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:39 pm

ScottyMcGee wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:27 am
I have yet to play Tropical Freeze. I enjoyed DKCR but there was something missing. It had great visuals and was a great platforming experience. But it was missing that "je ne sais quoi" from being made by Rare. I think I remember not feeling the music was up to snuff in DKCR. The ending was also too cartoony. DK punches the moon. Like. What? It was SO stupid.
Don't forget the annoying motion controls, I don't know how I forgot to mention that. I should give credit where credit is due though, I do think one thing DKCR does better is multiplayer, the old games just do the turn-taking thing which is not great.
Marilink wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:47 pm
I think the music in Tropical Freeze is the 2nd-best soundtrack in the whole series, behind only DKC2--and that's barely a fair comparison, since DKC2 is David Wise's magnum opus.

I think the difficulty and curve in Tropical Freeze is completely fair. It's not easy, but it's not unfair.

I'd agree about the enemy variety and design, but that's one of my only complaints with what I otherwise consider a 10/10 game.
What original songs in DKCTF are good? Can you share some of your favorites? I just remember there being a lot of good remixes, don't remember a single original song.

I think you're exceptionally good at video games though. For a person of average skill such as myself, I find it brutal, and it ramps up pretty quickly. The worst offenders being the rocket stages, things seem to be almost unavoidable unless you remember their positioning through trial and error.

Well, aside from just enemies, what about playable characters? Even though I didn't like Kiddy Kong, it was a sort of tradition to introduce a new playable Kong in each iteration and it didn't do that. Same for animal powerups, it takes some of the fun out. I think it's kind of important because sometimes you get a cool new character you like, and Dixie Kong is my favorite in the series but if they just kept DK around in DKC2 she wouldn't exist. I'd consider that a flaw, it limits the freshness.

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”