Panny's Correct Fast Food Opinions Thread

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

steeze

Re: Panny's Correct Fast Food Opinions Thread

Post by steeze » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:54 am

smol Kat wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:51 am
nope I'm the type that orders a burger someplace else :P
I want to hear the little smol burger of choice.

Is it the pipsqueek burger from weenie hut juniors?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:04 am

those gold pokemon things were burger king

cheqm8

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:09 am

Oh yeah you're right! haha, idk just goes to show I don't order happy meals. It does go to show though that I abruptly stopped going to burger king 20 years ago after that promotion ended.

Where is my kangaskhan key chain at?

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:00 am

Anything but McDs tbh
looking up into pure sunlight

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:06 pm

i think those pokemon toys are 100% of the reason i have fond memories of burger king as a kid, not anything to do with the food

i'm thinking of doing another ranking post soon but i gotta figure out what i wanna do

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:17 pm

"Best McDonalds promotional mugs", maybe?

'Batman Forever', 'Flintstones' or 'Garfield'? Which is your fave, friend citizen Pan?
boo---------------the original jägermonster

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:33 pm

we had the batman mugs so i have a fondness for those

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:13 pm

BEST MILKSHAKE-LIKE PRODUCTS

e: oh oh oh we had those Disney cups while I was growing up. I think they were from Burger King. I also think my dad still has a bunch of them!
looking up into pure sunlight

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:59 pm

^Ooh, I've got a couple of those. There's Donald, floating on a few balloons, and Goofy in an old-timey swimming costume. Both of them courtesy of McDonald's, 'Celebrat[ing] the Magic of Walt Disney World'. In keeping with Disney World's 25th anniversary, yeah. I love silly cups.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:38 pm

Calamity Panfan wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:06 pm
i think those pokemon toys are 100% of the reason i have fond memories of burger king as a kid, not anything to do with the food

i'm thinking of doing another ranking post soon but i gotta figure out what i wanna do
I'll admit the Pokemon nostalgia is like half of why I like Burger King too, but I do legitimately believe they at least beat McDonald's across the board. That's a low bar but they do pass it.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:49 pm

also i will say my weirdest opinion is despite generally not liking burger king and generally liking mcdonalds i'd rather have a whopper than big mac

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:05 pm

I don't remember many fast food toys I got as a kid, but I do remember when Burger King had those DBZ figurines.

Unfortunately I got Krillin.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:09 pm

same. worst day of my life

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:15 am

Dang, I must've missed those. I do very vaguely remember the Sonic toys from McDonald's though, and those were actually really good. Even better, Jack in the Box had Sonic 3D Blast for PC.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:50 am

the toys for dbz were like half dbz half powerpuff girls there was a piccolo toy that launched a pog and it was a disrespectful portrayal of piccolo

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:06 am

Okay, are we ready for my most controversial opinions maybe yet? Yeah, you know what time it is...

Unranked: Papa Murphy's: I decided not to include Papa Murphy's here because if you have to cook the food yourself it doesn't count. It's pretty exceptional pizza for chain pizza though. It would be in the top three if I counted it.

I considered ranking Fox's Pizza Den because Wikipedia listed it on their "pizza chains" list. I've had it once. It was terrible. This was years ago, so I can't say if it was any better. My entire family thought the sauce tasted weird and we never had it again.

I don't know if Toppers is prominent enough to warrant a ranking, so I didn't rank it. It's very good, though usually a bit pricier than the other options on this list. They seem really into the "funkier" pizzas with like tater tots and mac and cheese on them, and while those pizzas are usually pretty good I think their regular-ass pepperoni is where it's at.

11. Pizza Ranch

Pizza Ranch's main appeal is that it is a buffet. This is the only reason you should eat at Pizza Ranch, because it is very bad pizza. The desert pizzas are fine.

10. Pizza Hut

I have fond memories of Pizza Hut as a child. Eating at Pizza Hut lunch buffets was a treat on weekends or in the summer. It's a place you went to after a little league game. Getting a free personal pizza from Pizza Hut for reading books as part of the Book It! program was good. I love the idea I have of Pizza Hut inside my head.

I can not reconcile that with the fact that every time I have eaten Pizza Hut in the past six years, I have felt terrible. It doesn't matter if I eat one slice or an entire pizza. I feel awful and bloated. I've gotten sick immediately after eating Pizza Hut twice in the past few years. I want to love this thing that was a big part of my childhood. I cannot. Do you think I want to go against the pizza chain that revolutionized pizza with the Stuffed Crust? Pizza Hut is an innovator of "adding stupid **** like pretzels or hot dogs to pizza" and I want to love it. But I can't even stomach it.

9. Cicis

As far as the pizza buffets go, Cicis is way better than Pizza Ranch. I've gone to very few pizza buffets lately because I want to feel good about myself. If I were to choose one, it would in fact be Cicis.

8. Domino's

When Domino's improved their crust however many years ago, it drastically improved their pizzas. That's not saying much. Domino's pizza used to be undoubtedly the bottom of the barrel. It tastes better now, but the garlicy crust they use now is way too ****ing salty. Even if I wash it down with water, the garlicy taste doesn't leave my mouth. It's overwhelming. I ate a lot of Domino's because it was one of the few things that delivered to my old residence. It was usually fine, but sometimes they gave me just an awful, awful pizza. Shoutout to the $5.99 mix and match deal, though.

Their pan pizza and thin crust are way better than the hand-tossed.

7. Sbarro

Another childhood favorite that doesn't hold up as well as I'd like to remember it. I have fond memories of going to the mall with my Mom and her telling me and my siblings we could choose anything in the food court. I always chose Sbarro because you could get a big slice of pizza AND two sides, which seemed like an illegal amount of food at the time. It's fine if you're at a food court, but the "New York slice" thing doesn't work as well when you find a local place that sells by the slice.

6. Little Caesars

Putting Little Caesars this high is probably controversial. I don't care. I love it. It's admittedly a risk. 2/3s of the time you order a Hot n Ready, the "hot" descriptor doesn't ring true by the time you take it home. But the other 1/3 of the time it's incredible. I like the spicier sauce that Little Caesars has. And even if you do get a lesser Hot n Ready, you're only out five bucks. It's worth the gamble.

5. Marco's

I've never eaten Marco's in any situation that wasn't "we have coupons for the Marco's/Family Video that gives us a deal on pizza AND movie rentals." For pizza that comes with a five-day rental of Tarzan, it does the trick.

4. Papa John's

A lot of people hate Papa John's, and I mostly get it. I still have a fondness for it, because it's something I ate a ton of as a teenager. I went to a boarding high school and there was a Papa John's a block away from the school. The school cafeteria food was dreadful. When I had a few bucks and wanted to escape the bad school meals, Papa John's was the thing. And I think they still make a perfectly "okay" chain pizza, though the sauce might be slightly too sweet. I also love that ungodly garlic sauce that comes with every pizza.

3. MOD/Blaze

These are two different chains of pizza, but they might as well be the same to me. It makes sense that the sub restaurant/fast casual Mexican restaurant style of having the ingredients in front of you and making an infinitely customizable meal would translate to the pizza realm, and if I'm just ordering a pizza for myself, this is a good move since I can put as much on it as I want without paying individually for each topping.

2. Hungry Howie's

Hungry Howie's is close to perfect. I love the crust, it always has a nice bite to it while still being soft on the inside, and the ability to add flavorings to the crust puts it over the edge. It's probably the most addicting pizza to me. I can easily stop at a few slices for other pizza chains, but I always have a hard time stopping myself from Hungry Howie's. The only issue is that it's very greasy, and that can overwhelm everything.

1. Jet's

If I'm getting pizza and it's not from a local place, I want it to be Jet's. Their regular round pizzas are fine, but the reason they're on top is the ability to order Detroit-style deep dish, with the crunchy, cheesy edge as the crust. There is nothing like a corner piece of a Detroit style pizza. Nothing. I'm not really taking sides into much account for this ranking here, but they also have the best sides as far as I'm concerned.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:38 am

I've only had a few of the pizzas from that list, of them I'd say Papa John's > Pizza Hut > Domino's > Little Caesar's. Round Table is probably my favorite chain, but there's a local place that takes the cake pie.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:45 am

The thing is, Little Caesar's is the only real "fast food" pizza; the others all take way too long. But anyways....

True story: I've never had Jet's Pizza, even though we have several locations here.
Also true story: I'mma include some local chains on this, 'cause I've never heard of some of the places you listed. But only chains, no standalones.

17. Elicia's
So. Much. Salt. Can't stand it. Ugh.

16. Papa John's
"Better ingredients, better pizza" only applies if you actually USE better ingredients. They don't. They can't even bait me in with the garlic butter anymore, because Caesar's has it now too!

15. Sbarro
Good, but way overpriced. Like, waaaaaaayyyyy overpriced.

14. All gas station pizzas: Casey's, QT, et cet
Every once in a while, I just want a slice of breakfast pizza.

13. Marco's
Unremarkable, but the Family Video combo deals are downright genius.

12. Cici's
Cici's is the Sonic of pizza: The whole point of going there is for all the weird stuff they serve that no one else has--BBQ pork, mac & cheese, chicken bacon ranch flatbread,....but if you get the normal pepperoni, you're going to be disappointed.

11. Little Caesar's
This is good pizza. It is not great pizza. They can't be beat on speed & price, though.

10. Lou Malnati's
My brother swears this is the best Chicago-style. My wife & I were not impressed.

9. Imo's
I always enjoy Imo's when I have it, but I almost never choose it.

8. Pizza Hut
I actually really love all the flavor variations at Pizza Hut, but their crust leaves something to be desired. Also, we can never get it delivered because the one that delivers to our address ALWAYS screwed up the order; I always have to pick up from a different one instead (which is actually closer).

7. Dominos
Like you said, their recipe upgrade saved them. They don't have as much variety as the Hut, but they are much more consistent.

6. Bellacino's
Really good, but you gotta be in the mood for it.

5. Pieology
It's like MOD/Blaze, except it's the one I've actually been to.

4. Mellow Mushroom
Really good. Really slow. Really pricey.

3. Giordano's
This is why my brother is wrong about Malnati's.

2. Pi
There are so many wonderous creations on their menu, but the price point again keeps us from overdoing it.

1. Cecil Whitaker's
Imo's may've invented StL-style pizza, but Cecil's just makes it better.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:48 am

giordano's is way better than lou malnati's for sure

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:26 am

Do you guys have Toppers Pizza?

If you have Toppers....don't have Toppers. Toppers gave me the worst case of food poisoning I've ever had. Plus rheir pizza pretty much just sucks anyway. Garbage factory.

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”