X-3

Re: VGF Four Job Fiesta: Third Time's the Charm

Post by X-3 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:42 am

Don't sleep on Reset, trust me.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 am

So I went to start my run this morning......and realized that I packed my copy of FFV and it's going on a moving truck very soon.

So I'll have to emulate it. Anyone want to hit me up with a GBA ROM?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:47 pm

^ Did anyone get you that ROM yet?

I did some grinding in Bal Castle's basement. Lenna learned Equip Armor, so I switched her to Bard, which she'll spend the rest of the game as. I also got the Teleport spell, which will make exiting dungeons a little easier. I don't plan on using it in battle, since I've yet to flee a fight during this run and I think I'm going to shoot for the Brave Blade.

Sweet, sweet Requiem! Between this song, Comet, Fire Scrolls, and my Knight just straight up bashing things, nothing in Drakenvale could touch me. The Dragon Pod was similarly easy: scrolls wiped out the flowers, while concentrated attacks took down the boss.

The third Gilgamesh fight was a lot easier than the previous one. The same tactics listed before (Comet, scrolls, Knight-rage) made quick work of both Gilg and Enkidu. Swift Song (learned in Castle Surgate) helped a lot too.

Atomos was also an easy fight. I let Galuf bite the dust, then had Butts and Faris whale on the boss while Lenna supported with Swift Song. Atomos went down before ever using Wormhole.

I think I have a pretty good team here, because I'm getting through battles quickly and I rarely suffer party wipes. My only real concern is the perennial "no multi-target healing ability".

Four Job Fiesta Summary
Val - 1. Knight 2. Time Mage 3. Bard 4. Ninja
ML - 1. ??? 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???
Kat - 1. Monk 2. Thief Red Mage 3. Black Mage 4. ???
X-3 - 1. Black Mage 2. Mystic Knight 3. ??? 4. ???
Squeege - 1. ??? 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:10 am

(yep. I hooked him up.)
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:49 am

Thank you. Now I know who to report to the FBI.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:10 am

WE BOTH OWN THE GAME, SO IT’S, UH, MORE LEGAL

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:10 am

Picked up some new spells from Moore: Graviga, Old (both excellent, for enemies that happen to be vulnerable), and Hastega (just plain excellent).

The Crystals were shockingly easy. By targeting them one at a time with my strongest attacks (Knight attack, Comet, and Shuriken), I was able to take each one down without suffering much damage myself.

R.I.P. Galuf.

Before I head over to beat up Exdeath, I wanted to take a shot at the Gil Turtle. For my first attempt, I didn't do much preparation besides casting Float on everyone. The boss promptly beat my party to a pulp, as I couldn't heal as fast as it could deal damage.

Party Wipe Count: 4

But then I realized... I have a Ninja. So I did some grinding to teach everyone !Image, and had everyone equip it as their ability. In battle, I had Lenna use Requiem repeatedly (as the Gil Turtle is undead, and Requiem was my most damaging move in that fight), while the rest of the party used !Image to soak up the boss's attacks and Hi-Potions to heal away any damage that made it through. The fight was tedious, but...

Success! That's one bonus boss down.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. ??? 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:47 am

Gil Turtle is undead?? That’s good to know...

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:32 pm

all right y'all, let's go

crap.

I guess that's to be expected. Really the only reason I was able to beat this boss was random chance. I just mashed A hard enough to get through it, and got lucky enough that I didn't get killed along the way. The second time around, anyway.

Man, so I guess the entire first part of this game is just going to be mashing A and getting lucky, huh? Thief sucks, man.

Party wipes: 2 (ended up wiping on a random mob on north mountain, had to grind a little bit)

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. Thief 2. ??? 3. ??? 4. ???

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:02 pm

My entire first part of the game last year was grinding to level like, 15. I'm so sorry you rolled Thief!

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:34 pm

All right, let's go. Playing this on emulator makes things...uh, very quick. So I got very far in the past two hours or so.

Grinded to 16 to take down Garula. It was still difficult. All-Thief is super rough for this fight, holy crap. Then I got my Water Crystal roll, and got Summoner! Finally, some DPS...and some sidequests. For this portion of the run, I made Galuf and Lenna my Summoners and put them in the back row.

And I quickly made it to Liquid Flame. I tried to go without breaking a Frost Rod, but, this happened, so I just went for it. And what did I roll for my Fire job but Blue Mage! I'm excited for this one. Of course it means I've gotta do a few things to get the right spells. I did manage to get Level 5 Death in the Library, and Aqua Breath in the desert. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to get White Wind, which I think will be necessary for this run.

Just realized that my Random run hasn't been very random. I've gotten jobs from the appropriate crystals so far. We'll see what the Earth Crystal holds.

Which I'm almost at, btw.

The bosses through here have been fine (especially with Aqua Breath for Sandworm), and Cray Claw was pretty easy. This team is finally starting to come together.

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. Blue Mage 4. ???

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:39 pm

^ I think unless your final roll is a White Mage, Bard, Chemist or Dancer, your only chance at confusing enemies to learn Blue Magic is the Dancing Dagger, which you can get no earlier than the Moogle Village.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:00 pm

That’s kinda what I was afraid of. Alas.

Kind of hoping I don’t roll Chemist, simply because I have no idea how that class works. I know it’s potentially broken and amazing, but I never used it even in casual play and I’m not really feeling up to the learning curve right now, hah.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:28 pm

]Image

Archaeoavis gave me some trouble, as you can see. I don't think the battle was as close as it looks here, since he had just used Maelstrom. Still, he exposed my party's biggest issue: lack of healing. Basically, Butz has become my party's healer via Hi-Potions. Except, at this point in the game, no shops were selling hi-potions yet, so I was mainly healing via Sylph. Not very reliable. Still, I made it.

And afterward, I rolled my Earth class: Dancer! I've used Dancer before, in my first run, and had fun with it. The random chance makes things spicy.

Gilgamesh was also trickier than he has been in the past, since I have no reliable healing whatsoever. I have a feeling that's going to be a theme of this run. Also, now that I'm out of Ronka Ruins, I don't think there's any way for me to get White Wind, unless I can somehow confuse Enkidu later.

So here's my plan for my party: I think I'll just keep Butz a pure Thief, running !Steal and !Mug and holding the Thief's Gloves. The items I've been snagging from enemies have been pretty helpful so far, especially since I'm relying on items so heavily. I dunno if I would have made it past Archaeoavis if I hadn't stolen some elixirs, for example.

Lenna has the highest base magic, so she makes the most sense to be my Summoner. Still debating what her secondary ability should be. I might end up making it !Blue, so she will basically be built the same as Galuf/Krile, who will be my Blue Mage with !Summon. Unless I can think of something better to do there. Maybe I'll even go with !Call for funsies.

And Faris will be my Dancer this time around, probably packing !Flee because I'm a coward.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:57 pm

Getting into the Ronka Ruins was really hairy this year; I nearly wiped on the last set of Flame Throwers. ...But Archeoavis was an absolute pushover, for which I am grateful. My final roll.... is..... Beastmaster! Hmm. This is weird.

So, Lenna's going to be my Dualcasting Black Mage, for sure. Beyond that, I have absolutely no idea. (I texted Squeege my roll and his response was "lol get rekt" so rip me I guess!)

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. Blue Mage 4. ???
Kat - 1. Monk 2. Red Mage 3. Black Mage 4. Beastmaster

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:10 pm

Beastmaster is one of those jobs that can be really broken if you have the right knowledge and the patience to capture the right monsters.

I had neither when I rolled Beastmaster two years ago. :shrug:

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:12 pm

I definitely don't have the right knowledge, in spite of having THE COMBO (tm) two years ago. Fortunately I'm at the point in the game where I have three party members, so I guess I don't really have to make a decision yet.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:51 pm

oh btw, forgot to update this after my last post

Four Job Fiesta Summary
ML - 1. Thief 2. Summoner 3. Blue Mage 4. Dancer

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 am

The fourth fight with Gilgamesh was a little tougher than the last, but pretty manageable overall. I was able to get him to his second phase quickly enough that I hardly had to worry about status effects.

Exdeath was a trial as usual. The main struggle in battle was keeping making sure everyone had Haste, Regen and Float active, as well as simply keeping them alive. I traded Double-Handed for !Image on Butts so he could wield the Ice Shield (Lenna had the Aegis Shield). Exdeath's physical attacks turned out to be a lot more problematic than his magic. I dealt most of my damage by throwing all of my old weapons at him (including Excalipoor, which took off about 10% of his total health). Despite the difficulty I never wiped, and I think this was the quickest Exdeath battle I've ever had.

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:45 pm

Bad news: you can't confuse Enkidu, so that was my last chance to learn White Wind for...a while. Until the Interdimensional Rift. RIP. But I guess until then, Butz becomes my party's healer, relying on items and speed. Lack of multitarget heal is going to bite me (and already has, plenty).

Atomos wasn't a problem, but is he ever? As long as you know the trick to leave a party member KO'd, this guy isn't bad. I had more troubles with the dragons in the dungeon, which I made sure to fight for the Gold Hairpin. Now Lenna is equipped with it, and casting Titan freely.

Crystals were tough this time around. I picked off the Earth one, then laid waste to the rest with Titan. It worked pretty well. I did wipe once, though. Or maybe twice. Possibly three times.

RIP Galuf

Four Job Fiesta Summary

Return to “Retro Games”