Moderator: Deepfake

X-3

Ultra VGF Four Job Fiesta IV

Post by X-3 » Sun May 31, 2020 12:57 pm

Another year, another Fiesta. As per storied tradition:
Marilink wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:41 am

Four Job Fiesta Rules:
1. We'll do a Normal run. From the Four Job Fiesta site, here's the description:
  • Players will be assigned one class from each crystal. Until all four classes are unlocked, players are only permitted to use the classes they have currently unlocked. Bare/Suppin/Freelance can only be used until the Wind Crystal job is unlocked.
2. There's a Twitter bot that handles everything, found on the aforementioned Four Job Fiesta site. It'll guide us through what we're each doing. Or, if you're a pleb like Kat, you can roll your party here; scroll down to Final Fantasy V.

3. Let's all roll a different job set. That way, when we come into the thread to discuss, we can compare notes and our unique experiences.

4. If you want, you can always make a pledge to Child's Play charity through the FJF site. The wider community FJF time window will end on August 31.
The event starts June 17th. Here are the formal rules and runs you can attempt.

The Warriors of Light
1.) me :) (Black Mage/Knight/Time Wizard/Geomancer) Neo Exdeath Shinryu
2.) Val (Monk/BERSERKER/Mystic Knight/Red Mage)
3.) Kat (Knight/Monk/Black Mage/Blue Mage)
4.) ML
Last edited by X-3 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Ultra VGF Four Job Fiesta IV

Post by Marilink » Sun May 31, 2020 1:04 pm

I'm in like Lenn.....a

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun May 31, 2020 1:43 pm

I'd like to think apartment drama will be resolved by mid-June.

(E: yeah im the equivalent of maybe as well)
Last edited by smol Kat on Sun May 31, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
looking up into pure sunlight

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun May 31, 2020 7:17 pm

Consider me a "maybe" for now.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:32 am

The Warriors of Light
1.) me :)
2.) Marilink
3.) ??

The Warriors of Might
1.) Kat
2.) Val
this is extremely good, thank you X-3.

You know what's cool about this FJF? If I participate, I'll probably do it on actual SNES hardware with an import copy of the game :o

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:20 pm

It begins well okay, it's been on for a few days but I just started.

This is what I started with last year so not much to say in the early portion.

Bolt goes zap.

Fire goes fwoosh.

After taking out Magisa I put Forzen Horzon to sleep and the magic took care of the rest.

This was a bit harder. I got everyone to level 10 for the extra damage and squeaked by. I have no idea how magic damage is calculated; sometimes Galuf with a Dagger did more damage than Bartz and Faris with Rods. And with that I get my Water Job...

...which is actually a Wind Job. Shields are great for the entire game and Two Handed will also be good in a lot of places. Guard+Cover will probably be a godsend because I remember physical attacks being a pain last year.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:10 am

I'll be trying Pure Chaos this time (though so far, so vanilla). I'll be busier this summer than I was the last few years, but I can probably spare an hour or so a day for Fiesta.

Also, next poster gets to decide what color my menu is for the rest of the game.

Player Summary
X-3: Black Mage - Knight - ??? - ???
Val: Monk - ??? - ??? - ???

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:34 am

Dark green. Will roll once I get through the zillions of demos!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:55 am

^ Good choice. My menus now look like a poker table.

So far I'm pretty happy with Monk. Regular attacks are pretty powerful, and Kick is good for large groups of enemies. The 50% counter rate is also excellent. The lack of good equipment kind of blows, but on the bright side it is saving me a lot of gil.

Most fights have just been "hold down A until you win." Karlabos, Siren, and Magissa/Forza went down without a problem. I was even able to get the Elven Mantle in the Castle Walse basement because the Monk's boosted HP kept everyone alive until they could flee from the encounters. Garula was the most difficult fight I had, and all I had to do was stop attacking occasionally to throw a couple of Potions around.

It feels like an "early-game class" though; I'm not sure how well it will fare later in the game. Maybe my next class will be more

oh

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:57 am

I rolled monk a couple years back, and it's honestly pretty good.

rip BZKR roll tho!!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:04 am

Liquid Flame handed me my first party wipe. Everybody's magic defense sucks, and I had no way to recover quickly enough from the boss's multi-target attacks. The Berserker constantly triggering counterattacks didn't help. During the second attempt I just left the Zerk dead, and slowly chipped away at Liquid Flame by letting it physically attack my party in the hand form, provoking counters from my Monks that wouldn't cause the boss to respond with a spell and change to a more dangerous form.

...You know, I'm starting to worry a little, because none of my classes synergize at all. The Zerk can't teach anything worth learning, and can't utilize abilities from other classes, even passive ones, apart from the stat boosts they may impart. Monks cannot use !Spellblade, and Magic Shell isn't worth the ability slot. Mystic Knight might be able to benefit from Counter, but that's about it.

I really hope my next class is something good. Please, RNGsus, give me a spellcaster, preferably one with healing capabilities.

Player Summary
X-3: Black Mage - Knight - ??? - ???
Val: Monk - Berserker - Mystic Knight - ???

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:49 pm

I bought Ice 2 and another Ice Rod and I just barely squeezed by. First try with no broken rods though.

Here is the official theme song of this run.

Unlike last year Byblos got absolutely smoked. Casting Slow on him meant he couldn't do much of anything.

Here's a nice little bonus for my group.

Demi shredded through Ramuh's HP.

Slow helps but it's still a pain in the ass.

It didn't occur to me until I read Val's post on the basement, but all I needed to do was spam Guard and wait it out. Of course, I got attacked about four more times on my way out.

-Slow the main cannon so it takes forever to charge
-Haste the Black Mage
-Have the Knights destroy the Missile-firing part of the cannon
-Blast the cannon with Bolt 2 for about 1k a pop
-Hope the Black Mage doesn't get hit by a missile and get afflicted with Old
-Use the Healing Staff to keep everyone up so they can survive Surge Beam
-Ask why this boss gives EXP

Much easier than last year due to Slow. Demi also worked once.

And with that, the Dark Mage Exdeath is unsealed. His first cruel act?

Making the Earth Crystal give me a bad job. Well, the rest of the team is great so I don't get to complain too much.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:13 pm

I should probably start this sometime huh

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:15 am

Byblos kicked my ass. Wind Slash dealt huge amounts of damage that I struggled to recover from. It basically came down to luck in the end.

Sandworm was tedious, but doable. I left my Berserker dead of course. The main issue was, once again, the lack of multi-target healing, as Quicksand rapidly weakened my party. When Faris delivered the final blow, everyone else in the party was dead.

Soul Cannon was also difficult, because NO MULTI-TARGET HEALING. It was essentially a DPS race, as my ability to recover damage could not keep pace with Soul Cannon's rate of fire. I've already depleted my meager stock of Hi-Potions and Elixirs.

Archaeoavis was refreshingly easy at least. The Berserker and my two Monks laid down the hurt while my Mystic Knight focused on throwing Potions, since Spellblade isn't very useful in this fight.

Will the final job be my salvation?

Well, I guess I have multi-target healing now.

Player Summary
X-3: Black Mage - Knight - Time Mage - Geomancer
Val: Monk - Berserker - Mystic Knight - Red Mage

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:58 am

Wow what's it like to have an easy archeoavis fight

Maybe I'll find out this year

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:06 pm

*Deep breath*

Titan: I had a bit of trouble with him due to his dying Earth Shaker attack. While experimenting futility I discovered Stop works. It doesn't last forever but if you Stop him just before the final hit, no dying attack will come out.

The Abductor is vulnerable to all of a Time Mage's tricks, so I beat him up. This is probably one of the strangest way of getting cutscene'd I've seen.

Exdeath uses his dark powers to birth the first IRL stream.

Gilgamesh 1: A tough fight due to how he buffs himself and then uses Jump. Slowing him ASAP helped but ultimately it came down to him deciding to use Jump only once.

Big Demi Damage

Atomos: The hardest part of the fight was was using Reset until I got a 'fight' where he targeted Galuf with Comet first. From there it was standard damage race. It's interesting to note that he's the first boss Slow didn't work on. I don't know if it's immunity or just the spell hit calculations turning out poor for me.

The Stop strategy from Titan came back in another form. Normally he counters with Demon Eye or whatever when you attack him, but if you Stop him you can get an attack off without getting countered. The tricky part is that Stop seems to wear off right afterwards so you'll have to do it again and again.

A pain, as always. Slow, Demi and Quarter (can) work but if you don't finish off the Crystal immediately afterwards your group eats a fat magic attack, as you can tell by the screenshot. The top Crystal is probably the hardest because the Black Mage simply can't touch it.

Gil Turtle: I tried and I failed. My strategy was to go in with (almost) everyone in Critical health so Knight could Guard+Cover them but it took a ridiculous amount of tries for this to work for just one round. Key word here is one round, as Guard seems to wear off as soon as their next turn starts, enough of a small gap for Gil Turtle to throw in a physical attack or two. Welcome to RNG Hell.

Unlike last year Carbunkle was a major pain. No Reflect Ring, no fun. My initial strategy was to just roll for Geomancer's Sonic Boom (and then hope is actually works) but in doing so I discovered it doesn't take that much damage to get Carbunkle to drop its Reflect, at which point you can hit with with a Quarter and some Black Magic. Boy am I glad that's over.

Fu-

This felt like an easier fight than last year. Looking at both year's teams, I think it mostly came down to Haste 2 allowing for more Black Mage damage, which helped end the fight before Exdeath could get too ruthless with his tier 3 magic. Putting an Aegis Shield on Knight also helped a lot and seemed to be only about a ~500 damage loss in this fight.

I tried casting Slow on him many times, and it worked a grand total of once. He immediately cast Haste on himself afterwards. Cheeky bastard.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:36 pm

Having had a little time to consider my party, I think I know what my plan is. I'll stick my Monk and Berserker with the HP bonus most of the time. None of the other abilities are particularly useful for these classes, and an extra 30% health is nothing to sneeze at. I'll give my Mystic Knight Red Magic just so I have a backup healer/mage. As for my Red Mage, I'm going to push for Dualcast. The Red Mage starts to become obsolete once you switch worlds, which is RIGHT WHERE I AM, so hopefully being able to cast two spells in one turn will help mitigate that. Two Curas are basically a Curaga, right?

Purobolos was a breeze since I had multi-target black magic. Manticore was a breeze since I had multi-target white magic. Titan knocked my party out with Earth Shaker, but grinding a couple of levels for more HP solved that problem.

Haven't had any trouble with Gilgamesh yet. Mute Spellblade prevented him from buffing himself during the second fight. Being able to cast Protect is one benefit Red Mage has that I hadn't considered before.

Player Summary

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:59 am

Spent a little time grinding in Bal Castle basement to gain some job levels. I didn't grind all the way to Dualcast (999 ABP is a long way to go), but I closed the gap a little at least.

My Death Sickle-armed Berserker turned out to be really handy against Dragon Pod.

And also Gilgamesh.

Not so much against Reflect Knights.

Atomos was pretty easy. Red Mage drew the short straw, and I just whaled on the boss with my three beefy fighters.

Player Summary

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 am

time to FINALLY get started!

I will be doing a random run. In light of everything that's been going on, I will be splitting a donation between Child's Play and Baltimore Safe Haven.

Now, Job Fair saved my arse a couple years back (heck you Thief) but because I'm splitting my donation, I'm rolling on Voidfox again to avoid bot confusion and/or sass :P I'll apply the same donation rules for Job Fair if I need it but split between the two charities. In addition, I'm doing a minimum of $10 (total) plus $2 ($1 to each) per party wipe. I may need to set a maximum. We'll see what my budget and RNGenis do.

My seed is here. So I guess welcome to the adventures of Arse et al.! (I'm running out of names.)

~~~

And my first job is...... KNIGHT. Fine for early game, unsure how well it will hold up later in the game, though. We'll see, I guess.

Karlabos was barely any trouble at all at party level 5. Only Galuf got down to critical (from a Tail Screw). I'm really appreciating not having to grind in the early game!

Siren (party level 7) was similarly e z. Spammed attacks until she went undead, then spammed potions.

Magissa/Forza (party level 9) wasn't too bad either, but she did use Drain on Faris; I'm pretty sure that if she hadn't I would have killed her before she could call him. /shrug

And then I was worried about Garula but then I beat him at level 10...?

Well anyway. My next job.... is..... Berzerker now just what the flip heck game :grumble:

Actually no you know what I'm going to reroll (+$3), but I'm adding an extra $5 to my total to exclude Thief from the roll as well. Luckily, I have a d8 laying around, and it says... Monk. HIT SMART LIKE ROCK,

Player Summary
Kat: Knight - Monk - ??? - ??? (Donation Total: $18)

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:30 pm

After a nap I decided to take on Liquid Flame (party level 13). My first attempt was really potion heavy, but I realized... Monks counter. I don't have to attack. So I reset because I didn't want to run out of potions and tried it with 3 Monks with Guard. Then he decided it would be a great idea to use Blaze three times in a row. Booooooooo. Back to Karnak, I guess. GOOD THINK MONKS ARE CHEAP TO OUTFIT

IT WOULD SURE BE NICE IF HE WOULD COOPERATE. maybe if I get him stuck as the hand?????

edit: yes. the answer was making him stay as the hand the whole fight. much, much easier :lol:

Escaped the castle so time for job #3... please roll healer *rolls Black Mage* *looks into camera* Least the library (16) was easy.

Sandworm is gonna be fuuuuuuuuuuuuun /eyeroll I'm still level 16. That timing is sooo hard to get down! ugh!

Player Summary
Kat: Knight - Monk - Black Mage - ??? (Donation Total: $24)

Return to “Retro Games”