Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: Tomboys and transgenderism

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:25 pm

RinkuTheFirst wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:08 pm
I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:45 am
It's probably still a more reliable source than CNN.
Statements like this make it difficult to take anything you say seriously.
Project Veritas ring a bell? They're exposing what everyone already knew. I think I'll actually make a topic about that situation because it's pretty cool.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 pm

CNN has done some dumb **** like when they pushed the "JOKER IS GOING TO CAUSE A MASS SHOOTING GUYS!!!" headline because i guess they were disappointed it wasn't causing a mass shooting and maybe other things are to blame for this country's gun violence epidemic. and yet, they are FAR and away more trustworthy than a **** tabloid. it's good to be critical of news sources, but it's best to apply that criticism to ALL sources, whether they are on ""your side"" or not.

CNN's also got money in politics issues but you can definitely do worse. they are genuinely a source of actual facts more often than plenty of sources i see thrown around.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:29 am

Apollo the Just wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 pm
CNN has done some dumb **** like when they pushed the "JOKER IS GOING TO CAUSE A MASS SHOOTING GUYS!!!" headline because i guess they were disappointed it wasn't causing a mass shooting and maybe other things are to blame for this country's gun violence epidemic. and yet, they are FAR and away more trustworthy than a **** tabloid. it's good to be critical of news sources, but it's best to apply that criticism to ALL sources, whether they are on ""your side"" or not.

CNN's also got money in politics issues but you can definitely do worse. they are genuinely a source of actual facts more often than plenty of sources i see thrown around.
You're definitely right that it's good to be critical of all news sources. I don't think they're credible enough to be deemed a "source of facts" though, I mean you can get the weather and sports from them, but if there's anything political or social, beware. They perpetuated the Russia hoax, defend Antifa, are a general Trump impeachment propaganda machine, went with the false narrative against the Covington High School students, etc.

There's another topic I am going to make for this subject as I think it's important enough to warrant its own thing, but I wanted to respond to you here because you took the time to make a post, and you made some good points.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:21 pm

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:29 am
You're definitely right that it's good to be critical of all news sources. I don't think they're credible enough to be deemed a "source of facts" though, I mean you can get the weather and sports from them, but if there's anything political or social, beware.
Yes but this is true of news sources on all sides, and we'd like you to acknowledge that. Nobody in this thread is defending CNN, lol.
all the lessons learned will carry us through the unknown

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:56 am

smol Kat wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:21 pm
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:29 am
You're definitely right that it's good to be critical of all news sources. I don't think they're credible enough to be deemed a "source of facts" though, I mean you can get the weather and sports from them, but if there's anything political or social, beware.
Yes but this is true of news sources on all sides, and we'd like you to acknowledge that. Nobody in this thread is defending CNN, lol.
Of course, but I did though, in the very first sentence you quoted. I just think CNN is especially bad and gets much more credit than is due. I may have a preference for certain sites, like Fox News, but I'm not beyond criticizing them. One particularly bad report by them was regarding "Soph," the popular conservative YouTube comedian who was banned from that site. She was edgy and her comedy was offensive, the delivery of her opinions were obviously designed to be as controversial as possible, but Fox News didn't fairly cover her banning. They said she "seemed to call for violence" and uploaded "anti-Muslim" content, neither of which are true. It also stated that she referenced "a range of false or discredited information" but didn't seem to back up that claim.

Then there were Fox News hosts saying ignorant things about video games as they related to violence. For instance, Laura Ingraham referred to video games as "simulated violence," which is extremely inaccurate. There's lots of little things like this which can add up, but I don't think any of it is at the level where someone would need to just completely avoid Fox News, but I'd suggest to do so with CNN. They actively seek to deceive viewers, I don't think Fox News does, and there's evidence that they do.
Last edited by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! on Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:47 am

Thanks for your response. For the record the main thing that I disagree with in what you said is that I /do/ feel both fox and CNN should be avoided; there are so many better sources out there, regardless of one's political views. But I'm glad that you are recognizing the problems with sources that do align with your views.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 am

That may be true about avoiding both of them in the end, regardless of which is worse. What would be considered among the more truthful and politically neutral sources?

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:42 pm

I think pretty highly of Washington Post.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:51 pm

Handy guideline (not 100% reliable because literally nothing is in politics, but still):

The top center region contains your best options.
Both the left & right borders will be extreme bias, regardless of accuracy. The horizontal middle will be minimal bias. Not no-bias, 'cause everyone's biased, but minimal.
The bottom 1/3 is low-accuracy. The vertical middle is a mix of accurate-but-incomplete & primarily-opinion-and-interpretation. The top 1/3 is high-accuracy & low-persuasion.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 pm

^Thanks--was going to dig that infographic up after work.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Wall street Journal, C-Span, Pew Research, Associated Press, Reuters, PBS. While BBC and NPR are supposed to be unbiased. There is some language that betrays some journalists as not being completely unbiased, we are all human and have our own views. Just so happens that real journalists are affected by the news they report. I will say that most if not all of these sources remain the most neutral out of all of them based on their reporting, willingness to display both sides of the coin and ability to not jump to conclusions. Their language for framing headlines and stories report mostly on factual analysis. They piss off liberals and conservatives alike.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:56 pm

It's more or less impossible to be totally, utterly, 100% unbiased tbh. The sources you listed come damn close though.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Edited some further explanation below the graph.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Deku Tree wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:42 pm
I think pretty highly of Washington Post.
I would hesitate to include the Washington Post in a list of unbiased journalism. The only reason they are up so high on that list is because while they do betray a bias their reporting does include sources and facts that back up their bias which can't really be disproved outright.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 pm

WSJ's reporting isn't particularly biased, but their editorial page, at least last I read it (before Trump), is consistently quite conservative and openly pro-GOP.

Unbiased sources aren't the goal, IMO, because the only ways to be effectively unbiased are to either state exactly what happened with no context or to painstakingly provide all the context. The first doesn't give you enough depth to form a meaningful opinion, and the second doesn't give you enough breadth to participate in more than a handful of issues. I think you get the most out of reading sources at the complex analysis level on that chart while being aware of how they skew, and making an effort to read critical responses to your sources where possible.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:12 am

Related: Here's a site that has a huge list of sources on a left/right axis and some extra axes of craziness for conspiracy sites. A quick check of a handful of sources I'm familiar with all made sense and were well-justified.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:41 pm

Asking which news media outlet is the best is like asking which of these pieces of poop implies you're healthy. There's a clear answer but at the end of the day you're still looking at poop.

As a general rule - the more boring it sounds, the more truthful it is.

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”