"Funimation removes voice actor Vic Mignogna from anime, while harassment allegations keep growing."

Moderator: Deku Tree

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

"Funimation removes voice actor Vic Mignogna from anime, while harassment allegations keep growing."

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:26 am

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/11/18220 ... harassment
Funimation has removed voice actor Vic Mignogna from The Morose Mononokean 2, the second season of the supernatural comedy anime. In addition, the distributor told Polygon that it has ended its relationship with the voice actor, whose popular work also includes Fullmetal Alchemist and Dragon Ball Super: Broly.

“Following an investigation, Funimation recast Vic Mignogna in Morose Mononokean Season 2. Funimation will not be engaging Mignogna in future productions,” Funimation told Polygon in a statement.

Fans of the show noticed that Funimation removed Mignogna from the role of “The Executive” over the weekend, replacing him with Ian Sinclair. Anime News Network first reported the news then as well.

Mignogna worked closely with Funimation throughout his career, starting with the role of Dragon Ball’s Broly in 2003. This comes after Rooster Teeth replaced Mignogna from RWBY on Feb. 5 following sexual harassment and homophobia allegations, as well as anime fans’ claims of his unprofessional behavior at conventions. Rooster Teeth published a blog post to announce that it had ended its relationship with the actor.

As Polygon previously reported, while these claims go as far back as 2010, they started to gain momentum around the mid-January release of Dragon Ball Super: Broly, in which Mignogna voices the titular character. Anime News Network published accounts from several con-goers about Mignogna’s behavior shortly after.

Now Mignogna’s fellow voice actors and industry professionals are making similar claims on social media, with a handful of notable figures sharing their own stories about Mignogna. Voice actor Monica Rial (Case Closed, Fullmetal Alchemist) tweeted about her uncomfortable experience with him, prompting other voice actors such as Miles Luna (RWBY), Cristina Vee (Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir), and Christopher Sabat (Dragon Ball Super) to offer their condolences and support.

Voice actor Jamie Marchi (Fruits Basket, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt) also shared her own story about an encounter with Mignogna that she had previously stayed silent about.

“If it had occurred to me, I can’t say that I would have reported [the incident],” Marchi tweeted. “This guy was worshipped by his fans. He was worshipped by the studios because of his fans. He was the most popular voice actor on the convention circuit,” she wrote.

“I struggle with the guilt I feel for being so dismissive of his actions,” she continued. “Had I been able to speak up then, maybe less women would have had to experience what happened when they were unable to get out of Vic’s grasp.”

As more professionals started to come forward with stories about Mignogna’s behaviour, passionate Mignogna fans started to rally in support of the voice actor. Using the hashtag #IStandWithVic (to oppose the #KickVic hashtag circulating), Mignogna’s most fervent fans came after those who spoke out about him. Voice actor and YouTube creator SungWon Cho (ProZD), who had previously tweeted about Mignogna’s allegations, found a swarm of fans commenting the hashtag #IStandWithVic on his most recent video and attempting to “dislike-bomb” it.

“If your fan-base goes around harassing people who make even a single negative tweet about you, that’s a real bad look,” Cho tweeted.

Although Mignogna responded to and refuted harassment claims after they first gained traction in late January on Twitter, he has stayed off Twitter since then. But over the weekend, and in response to the heated reactions of his fans, Mignogna broke his Twitter silence to urge them to stop.

“I would NEVER condone anything approaching this whatsoever,” Mignogna wrote. “And I call upon anyone doing it to STOP THIS IMMEDIATELY.”

Following this tweet, Mignogna called for love and understanding.
I've been to Twitter and seen lots of stuff not mentioned in this article, but from what I can tell it certainly seems like many of the claims of assault are dubious at best, while accusations of homophobia are simply ridiculous (there's a video of him arguing with Christians, and sides with LGBT). I've never met Mignogna, and I can't really support him, but I don't think that there's proof that he is what people claim. I certainly don't like the social media mobs which get people fired, that's pretty crazy.

Has anyone here ever met Mignogna? Are you guys fans of any characters he voices? I have never met him, but I'm a major fan of his Broly. I guess I'm a sub fan from here on out, I can't imagine anyone else as Broly and it doesn't help that Schemmel is calling his fans names.

New! Tazy Ten

Re: "Funimation removes voice actor Vic Mignogna from anime, while harassment allegations keep growing."

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:35 pm

The current claims seem to be very dubious but it's on top of claims people have made about him for over a decade schmoozing on women at conventions to the point that he got the nickname "Vic Mangina" on the chan boards. Plus various voice actors have, when asked, stated that they could say a lot about Vic, but they'd probably risk their careers to say anything as he has a deep connection to Funimation.

If you ask me it's just the piece that caused everything to tumble down on him. There is legal action to take if it really is all fabricated, but that's if he takes it. I'm not really torn. He voiced some big roles but other than maybe Broly, I have no idea of anything recent. I've sort of fell off anime and especially dubbed anime. So it doesn't really affect me.

Apollo the Just

Re: "Funimation removes voice actor Vic Mignogna from anime, while harassment allegations keep growing."

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:38 am

ok all im going to say is i literally have friends WHO ARE STAFF AT CONVENTIONS who have banned Vic literally decades ago for unacceptable behavior towards minors. this has been well known for YEARS. all of his coworkers and all staff of conventions who have actually met him in a professional capacity corroborate this. I LITERALLY KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE WITNESSED HIS ****-TINESS FIRSTHAND and were complaining to me about him WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL. all of the claims that this is out of nowhere have not been paying attention.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:00 am

New! Tazy Ten wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:35 pm
The current claims seem to be very dubious but it's on top of claims people have made about him for over a decade schmoozing on women at conventions to the point that he got the nickname "Vic Mangina" on the chan boards. Plus various voice actors have, when asked, stated that they could say a lot about Vic, but they'd probably risk their careers to say anything as he has a deep connection to Funimation.

If you ask me it's just the piece that caused everything to tumble down on him. There is legal action to take if it really is all fabricated, but that's if he takes it. I'm not really torn. He voiced some big roles but other than maybe Broly, I have no idea of anything recent. I've sort of fell off anime and especially dubbed anime. So it doesn't really affect me.
Yeah, when old claims go that far back they certainly require extra consideration. I did read that Vic is taking legal action, if so then he must be confident in his innocence (or at least that he can win), otherwise he'd probably just let it go, right?

Aside from Broly it won't affect me either. I hope he already finished his lines for Dragon Ball FighterZ...
Apollo the Just wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:38 am
ok all im going to say is i literally have friends WHO ARE STAFF AT CONVENTIONS who have banned Vic literally decades ago for unacceptable behavior towards minors. this has been well known for YEARS. all of his coworkers and all staff of conventions who have actually met him in a professional capacity corroborate this. I LITERALLY KNOW PEOPLE WHO HAVE WITNESSED HIS **** FIRSTHAND and were complaining to me about him WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL. all of the claims that this is out of nowhere have not been paying attention.
I've read a lot of similar things but that's not proof of Vic assaulting anyone, and actually proof to the contrary about his supposed homophobia, so that's one accusation proven false (the article doesn't mention it but he was also referred to as an anti-Semite, I see no evidence of that either, but the claim doesn't seem as widespread). Since I made this topic some new information (or least stuff I didn't know about) surfaced. It actually paints the "#KickVic" side pretty badly. Apparently someone who works for FUNimation, who also participated in the company's internal investigation which lead to Vic's firing, faked a "swatting" and tried to pin it on Vic's supporters so it would reflect badly on him, and other involved actors supported that until it was exposed. This is after other photoshopped images, false stories, and leaked conversations between people who planned to smear him emerged. The convenient timing for this to blow up, right around the release of the new Broly movie, is suspicious as well.

I'm not saying he's innocent, just that things look worse for the side of accusers than the accused. I'd say Vic's past warrants a proper legal investigation though, but that raises more questions. If this behavior dates so far back, spanning a decade or more, involving dozens or hundreds of victims, why is there not even one police report regarding it?

Just an hour or so ago, I saw something about Monica Rial, the voice actress for Bulma. She said she was assaulted by him, and scared of him, but people are sharing images and Tweets Rial posted not too long before the Broly movie released, where they were getting along swell and she had nothing but positive words for him. One video has her reaching in for a hug with the guy, laughing and goofing off together. Then another actress, I don't remember her name, made accusations too, but a video surfaced of her reaching over, unprovoked while he was talking, rubbing his arm and shoulder at a panel. I'm sorry, but if the only unfabricated evidence that someone was touched without consent involving Vic turns out to be him being touched, well, I'm not going to be convinced.

Then there's the behavior of the people involved which needs to be considered. Vic has only posted a few things, all apologies, kind words, and calling on his fans to be respectful. Some of my favorite actors went nuts though, apparently. They wished sexual assault on fans, made death threats to Vic, and called their fans terrible names. Even my darling Gok--Sean Schemmel...

I can't say I support Vic Mignogna because, as I've said multiple times, there's something to be said about allegations going so far back, they NEED to be investigated. I suspect something may actually come from a legal investigation. I'm absolutely all for "innocent until proven guilty" of course though, and there's a lot more to be said about a social media mob, including co-workers, setting out to smear someone and it backfiring. It's all too common for this weird online mob justice to come crashing down on people, costing them everything.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:50 am

Your posts in this thread are the only place I've seen any accusations of homophobia from McDerpaderp, so I can't really say anything about that.
I've heard stuff about harassment complaints against him for years, though; pretty good chance there's actually something to those.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:41 am

I haven't been a part of the anime scene for a long time and didn't know much about Mignogna prior to this, but this is disappointing. It shouldn't have taken Funimation this long to take action, considered how far back these allegations go.

When numerous people independently come forward with allegations that someone has been guilty of **** behavior, that supports the plausibility that said person is guilty of **** behavior. It's not just fans who have be victims or witnesses, it's also his friends and coworkers. And the current accusations are just the latest; women have been coming forward with stories for almost a decade, if not longer. I struggle to see how it's more credible that all of these people, either independently of one another or as part of some great unified conspiracy, would fabricate tales of sexual harassment in order to bring down a voice actor for... well, for what reason, exactly?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:21 am

CaptHayfever wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:50 am
Your posts in this thread are the only place I've seen any accusations of homophobia from McDerpaderp, so I can't really say anything about that.
I've heard stuff about harassment complaints against him for years, though; pretty good chance there's actually something to those.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
You may have missed it but I linked to an article which mentioned it. I think it seems to be a fairly popular belief (I put this Tweet in a spoiler because it contains cursing):
Spoiler.
Mignogna is apparently aware of it as well since he addressed it:

Also, regardless of that, you can probably say something about it after you watch this:

Between Vic's denial of the accusation and the video, I think it's clear that he isn't homophobic (of course, it is now considered homophobic and transphobic by some for straight people not to consider dating trans people, so just being straight is now becoming homophobic--perhaps that's the standard by which he is accused of homophobia, so then accusations would hold water in that case, by that logic).
Valigarmander wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:41 am
I haven't been a part of the anime scene for a long time and didn't know much about Mignogna prior to this, but this is disappointing. It shouldn't have taken Funimation this long to take action, considered how far back these allegations go.

When numerous people independently come forward with allegations that someone has been guilty of **** behavior, that supports the plausibility that said person is guilty of **** behavior. It's not just fans who have be victims or witnesses, it's also his friends and coworkers. And the current accusations are just the latest; women have been coming forward with stories for almost a decade, if not longer. I struggle to see how it's more credible that all of these people, either independently of one another or as part of some great unified conspiracy, would fabricate tales of sexual harassment in order to bring down a voice actor for... well, for what reason, exactly?
I agree, Funimation should have conducted an internal investigation a long time ago. However, I think you skimmed over a lot of what was mentioned. Vic's friends were just fine with him shortly before the new Broly movie last month, hanging out with him, and now they're accusing him of assaulting them. People found recent videos of them engaging with Vic physically, too. Would you enthusiastically elicit a hug from someone who assaulted you? Would you reach over and caress them during a panel...?

Also, you're suggesting that a conspiracy is beyond possibility, yet some evidence was provided that there could be one, regarding the swatting incident. That's something most people seem to want to brush under the rug. I'm not saying there is one, but is there not more evidence and suspicious behavior from one side than the other? I mean, decades of Vic committing assault and the only video of contact with him without consent and he's on the receiving end? Plus, if his coworkers knew about this and didn't contact authorities, aren't they as bad as him, if not worse?

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:15 pm

Yeah, I don't know much about his career other than the fact that he was Edward Elrich and he occasionally sings but if he is being accused of all of these things there's probably some form of it going down.

If you're a good person and keep your nose clean, you're not going to have these problems. It's possible that it's not true though, I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm aware of this guy on any level.

One thing to keep in mind is that while Funimation, Crunchyroll, and Viz media are all big names, they're actually all very small private companies only employing 50-300 people give or take. These aren't large corporations on the forefront of PR with stockholders to appease either. I'm sure it's not a very corporate setting either behavior like the aforementioned wouldn't be able to thrive.

Funimation itself is a subsidiary of a larger media group. Much easier to sweep things under the rug when you're a private company with no spotlight ever being shined on you. Vic might be recognized by some people from his work but I wouldn't call him a "celebrity." If there is no civil suit, no criminal suit then why is it a thing? Innocent until proven guilty is the way it works. The guy already lost his job.

I think it's great that women feel empowered to come forward with these stories about rape and sexual assault. I think it's reaching a really ugly point in history though where allegations imply guilt. We live in a world where people can't really see past the first layer of information to see if it's misinformation. People don't come to their own conclusion's, they accept the conclusions of others because it's easier and goes with the status quo.

Return to “Current Events”