Coronavirus/COVID-19

Moderator: Deku Tree

Calamity Panfan

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:44 pm

It's definitely frustrating seeing True Patriots on Facebook and stuff say for the past week, "We can start to re-open the economy. We'll wear masks and keep social distancing and keep the elderly at home. But we need the economy to run" and then they have these protests where a bunch of people are in close quarters, not wearing masks, and the majority of them are elderly. Not doing a great job at proving you can do this!

Of course, even despite Trump's amplification of these protests, they're still in the minority. I believe that even conservatives still generally support continued stay-at-home efforts.

Then again, there's a f***ing bar in Milwaukee that says they're gonna open on May 1. So we're actually f***ing screwed.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:08 pm

You know if only there was a case about this where we could perhaps cite as a possibility for what could happen if we decided "Just reopen it all. Deaths and new cases overall are down!"

Not like that ever happened befo-

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/art ... 191518.php

...oooooh....

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:33 am

Whenever we reopen, it can't be instant. It has to be slow, and even then there has to be ways to minimize crowding. There has to be easy testing and an effective treatment in the short term, at least until a vaccine is ready to roll. The good news is that we're making decent steps on both last I heard. The problem is balancing out the safety of people at large, and a need for totalitarian control of it. Keeping people from buying seeds or risking arrest for walking by yourself is ludicrous, but you can bet a lot of tempers are going to flare even higher if we have to keep opening and closing everything over and over for seventeen months in the best case scenario because we're all getting cabin fever.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:09 am

I believe there is still a large majority in favor of keeping everything shut down. My philosophy is that I am mentally and financially stable enough to last indefinitely if needed, so I'll defer to them. I don't believe most people are in that situation. As more people face financial stress, they are going to snap the longer it goes on. The risk of death due to prolonged economic shutdown eclipses all but the worst doomsday scenarios from the virus. I have not heard much talk about going completely back to normal, but there has to be some middle ground that doesn't take until 2022, though the most at risk groups may ultimately need to continue this current process until then.
Competition is a good thing. It's a chance to crush people.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:48 pm

iirc there are states that are having a pact together for it.

Plus, we need to expand testing - a test in boston found over a third of people tested tested positive for coronavirus despite not reporting any symptoms. Like those antibody tests that were discussed earlier in the thread. Shows just how much it can spread.

That said, I do find it quite funny I'm seeing people saying "Well when you adjust for the asymptomatic carriers of Covid, it's only as deadly as the flu!"
Ah, Statistics.... The favoured tool of the guy who unironically says "Technically correct is the best kind of correct". That's actually a great idea, thinking about it - how about, with every strain of flu from now on, we start testing as many people as possible so we no longer have to rely on estimates, and account for asymptomatic carriers.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Woke up with a fever and light cough this morning. Felt super fatigued and called in to work to be safe. Have a headache and when I went to cook some pasta I realized I couldn't smell the chicken I was cooking and when I ate it I couldn't taste the tomato sauce. Was a very jarring experience.

With the realization that my smell and taste are **** i am currently torn between "it's definitely COVID-19" and "calm the **** down it could be a variety of things". I'm really not worried for my own health, it's more that as an essential worker I have been going to work and potentially exposing other people including the very at-risk community we serve. So I called my doc and am seeing if I can get tested because if I do have COVID my organization will need to know.

i put my **** on the stove and turned around and washed my dishes, and it was the weirdest **** ever, completely forgetting that i had food on the stove because i literally could not smell it. it was kind of cool in a weird way LOL

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri May 01, 2020 3:15 pm

You do seem to be doing better.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri May 01, 2020 3:27 pm

^yeah were you able to get tested?
looking up into pure sunlight

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri May 01, 2020 3:59 pm

OH yeah sorry I got tested and results came back negative and am fine now. I think I got a bad regular ole flu and some combinations of that + allergies that made me also lose my sense of smell/taste, so basically I got a lot of very concerning symptoms but recovered just fine in about 4 days.

It was weird as **** cooking some stuff and turning around to wash some dishes, then forgetting I had food on the stove because I couldn't smell it at all. Honestly was kind of cool in a way.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri May 01, 2020 4:52 pm

Glad you're on the upswing.

One of my best friends tested positive. She had a minor case and has been through the worst of it, but it really took me aback when I was about to play D&D with her husband and he casually dropped "I'll be a little late to the zoom call I've gotta call my work and her work and tell her we can't leave home for two weeks."

All the **** about re-opening has been even more infuriating after finding out about her and a few other people I know testing positive (they're all essential workers, mostly in the medical field). A classmate's mom is actually on a respirator and it sounds horrifying.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri May 01, 2020 6:04 pm

Oh, good, I'm so glad it wasn't COVID! Something similar happened to my mom right at the beginning of the U.S. entry into the pandemic... but she had enough symptoms that weren't COVID that her doctor determined it was a different virus.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed May 13, 2020 8:23 pm

The Wisconsin Supreme Court just ruled that Gov. Evers' extension was illegal, so like, everything can just re-open right now, I guess.

Would've been nice if the Republicans who sued Evers over this decided on a re-opening plan that could be implemented once this decision was made, but that would mean that this was anything other than the party showing Ol' Tony who's boss. Seems like it's the wild west for business owners now.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed May 13, 2020 10:18 pm

Did that include that newly elected justice?

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed May 13, 2020 10:29 pm

No, there's a conservative lame duck judge, and since one of the conservative judges was a dissenting vote, the lame duck ended up being the deciding vote.

Mayor Barrett is still upholding stay-at-home orders in Milwaukee. I imagine Madison, Green Bay, Racine and some of the other big cities will do likewise. It's going to be really confusing for a lot of businesses that think this means they can open up, and things will vary from city-to-city, county-to-county until the legislature figures their plan out.

It's the wild ****ing west.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu May 14, 2020 7:34 am

Meanwhile, Hogan is starting to phase in reopening, but several counties--including both the one im leaving and the one im moving to--were hit really hard and plan to reopen at a slower pace.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu May 14, 2020 10:34 am

It's been becoming the wild west for a while. People know these orders are not laws. It's just a question of whether/when/how they object to them. There's plenty of blame to go around for both parties.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu May 14, 2020 10:49 am

This should not be a partisan issue, and your language enables that.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu May 14, 2020 11:39 am

What really gets me is that even the Republicans suing requested a hold on the dissolution of the order so there could be a plan put into place and the judges were still like "lol no it's immediate" (the Republicans should've had their plan ready ANYWAY but whatever)

just a whole bunch of incompetence

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu May 14, 2020 10:46 pm

The only thing I've done to enable partisanship is not censor all the partisanship, which I would prefer not to do.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri May 15, 2020 6:05 am

Seems to me you're just contributing to the problem, but okay.

Return to “Current Events”