Luigi's Mansion 3

Moderator: Valigarmander

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: Luigi's Mansion 3

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:41 am

Hm, well, as I haven't played them I'll take your word for it. It's just something I wouldn't be surprised to hear.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:04 am

I’m about 2 hours in and loving it. It marries the structure of 1 and 2 wonderfully. Gooigi seemed like a silly gimmick but he actually has a lot to offer on a mechanical and puzzle-solving level. And the game is as charming as the series has always been.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:18 pm

I too have purchased this game. I'm really enjoying it as I've been in the mood for a "search every nook and cranny for collectibles" adventure game. I do kind of prefer the visual/sound design of the first game though, stunning and sucking ghosts doesn't seem to have that same pop. Then again it's been more than a decade since I played LM1.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:34 pm

I gotta say, slamming the ghosts is a lot of fun. Especially when you slam them into environments that you can break.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:46 pm

I played this game for a couple hours last night at a friend's. It is SO charming and fun, I love it a lot. Will probably buy for myself after my next paycheck; there are a lot of really cute details everywhere.

My sole complaint so far is that because you have to hold A to charge the flashlight now instead of being able to turn it on instantly, it is INCREDIBLY awkward to maneuver the flashlight with the right control stick while also holding A to charge it. I get why they nerfed the flashlight a bit but it makes the control scheme pretty uncomfortable IMO when I'm trying to aim the flashlight and charge it simultaneously. (I know you can use gyro as well but I still wasn't able to really get a fluid grasp on aiming and charging. Maybe I am just bad.)

edit: my other complaint is that E. Gadd's voice lines are all recycled from LM1, which is not a bad thing because the voice is perfect, so much as it is really distracting because I have watched a lot of LM1 speedruns so it just sticks out to me.
Spoiler.
the Virtual Boo was the funniest **** ever though oh my god.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:03 pm

You can actually use the two shoulder/bumper buttons for the plunger and flashlight, and press both at the same time for the darklight. I still had a bit of trouble with aiming because I instinctively kept using A for flashlight but overall it's a lot better than using the face buttons.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:22 pm

THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME THIS BECAUSE THAT JUST SOLVED LITERALLY MY ONLY ISSUE WITH THIS VIDEO GAME

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:43 pm

yeah, the shoulder button controls are so much better than the face button controls that I wish they were listed as the defaults.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:15 am

Oh yeah, I finished the game soft-100% (I'm not grinding out those achievements and multiplayer, lol) last night. All-in-all a good game with a lot of charm, though not without some parts that kind of drag. I prefer the spooky tone design of the original, but to be fair to LM3 the original had the benefit of being the first in the series and a length of like four hours.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:24 pm

I haven't played it all but I think I agree on that. Considering Luigi is a hardened ghostbuster at this point I can't really expect the third installment to instill the same fear and isolation as the first, so I think them going with more of a campy feeling was probably a good move and overall it definitely worked.

Luigi having a 'mumbling "Maaarioooo" button' makes significantly less sense in this version too, but you know; whatever.

LM1 was such a completely bonkers approach to a launch title and I love it SO damn much, whereas LM3 is part of a franchise I never thought would become a franchise and it's so silly and fun and ridiculous. I am glad it exists.

If we ever get LM4, I would LOVE to see it try and go legit spooky again. But I won't hold my breath and in the meantime I'm probably still buying this game because it is very fun and vacuuming everything in every room is just so satisfying.

Return to “Super Mario Bros.: All Posters Post Posts”