Werepenguins

Where forum games are played.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

boydster

Werepenguins

Post by boydster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:25 pm

Hi All. I have a board for playing a variation on Mafia/Werewolf called Werepenguin. We've added some role playing elements to it, in addition to allowing room for narrators to get creative with unique and interesting tweaks on the rules on a per-game basis.

I'm not sure what the protocol here is, so I sincerely hope I'm not breaking any rules. If anyone would like to join a crew of other people playing social and role playing games, you are more than welcome to come check out https colon slash slash werepenguin dot space

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Werepenguins

Post by Marilink » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:07 pm

Hey Boydster! Normally we don’t approve topics from new members that are just advertising another place, but you seem good-natured, and we do have a crew of people that have been wanting to play something Mafia-like lately. Thanks for stopping in.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:15 pm

This sounds really cool, but I've moved pretty much exclusively to live and irl games, myself. Good luck though!
all the lessons learned will carry us through the unknown

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 pm

I don't know what Mafia or Werewolf are, but Werepenguin is a cool word.

boydster

Post by boydster » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:54 pm

Marilink wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:07 pm
Hey Boydster! Normally we don’t approve topics from new members that are just advertising another place, but you seem good-natured, and we do have a crew of people that have been wanting to play something Mafia-like lately. Thanks for stopping in.
Thanks, I promise I'm not trying to siphon off your users here or anything! Everyone's welcome, and there could be some opportunity to host some games here too if that kind of thing flies.
I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:24 pm
I don't know what Mafia or Werewolf are, but Werepenguin is a cool word.
They are both considered "Uninformed Majority" games. In Werepenguin, you have two groups - villagers, which make up the largest group, and then werepenguins, a much smaller group. The villagers win if they can eliminate all the werepenguins, and the werepenguins win if they can eliminate the villagers. The game is broken up into a day cycle, during which all the players can vote to eliminate someone - the goal being for the villagers to do their best to get a werepenguin. During the night cycle, the werepenguins kill off a villager. Rinse and repeat until someone wins.

There are special roles to mix things up, and there is a adventure/role-playing element we've added to it so you have some activity you can engage in besides just voting on the next murder.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:33 pm

^We used to have a very active Mafia community here, but most of us are too busy these days to commit, unfortunately. So if the 2 or 3 people here who are currently interested and available for Mafia want to join you for Werepenguins, I think it's a great opportunity. Speaking of which, @monstrman @DarkZero @I am nobody

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:29 pm

^^ Sounds pretty neat, but I don't really follow these kinds of things well. Good luck finding some new players though.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:47 pm

Looks neat, I probably wouldn't mind playing

boydster

Post by boydster » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:35 am

monstrman wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:47 pm
Looks neat, I probably wouldn't mind playing
I will make it a point to update this thread as games get underway. We just had one finish yesterday, it was a bit of a brutal Werepenguin victory. There will probably be a little bit of down time for everyone to pick up the pieces of their lives. :)

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:13 am

Could probably just PM monstr tbh. He's the most likely out of all of us to play. ;)

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:54 am

Checking in to let you know I have an interest in this as well!

boydster

Post by boydster » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:34 pm

smol Kat wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:13 am
Could probably just PM monstr tbh. He's the most likely out of all of us to play. ;)
I am not yet allowed to do the really special things like sending PMs and giving myself an avatar. But I believe in myself, and I am certain that one day I will achieve the proper level of excellence to realize those abilities and become the greatest member I can be!

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:17 pm

That's the spirit!

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

boydster

Post by boydster » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:05 pm

There are 2 very important updates to share! First, there is a game of The Resistance starting up. That will be kicking off in the next couple days. Second, a date for a future Werepenguin game has been set. Second, on December 2nd, I'll be running a game themed after the movie Rare Exports. Which, if you have not seen before, I'd 100% recommending watching. It's possible a game happens prior to that, but I committed to this game to have some fun with the dark Christmas concept.

For anyone that hasn't seen Rare Exports... Listen, it's maybe not the pinnacle of film making but it's totally worth a watch. It's set in Finland. A multinational company is excavating a mountain that, according to legend, is also where an ancient culture buried a terrible evil thing. And a nearby town that survives mainly on reindeer herding is having a bit of a struggle with a very light number of reindeer. Is it wolves? Has something more sinister been unleashed? WHO KNOWS. Well, I do, but you should watch the movie anyway because that'll be more fun than reading my words about it. The ending is, well, it's unforgettable. Full of imagery that will be etched into your brain for the rest of time.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:50 pm

the RESISTANCE?!?! Want.

Also, where can I watch this movie? :O

boydster

Post by boydster » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Come sign up!

As for the movie, it's on Hulu right now.

boydster

Post by boydster » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:36 pm

Hello folks! I wanted to let everyone know as a reminder, I'm about to kick off a game beginning Monday of next week. All are welcome to join. It should be a lot of fun.

Return to “Social Games and Role Playing”