do you believe in ghosts?

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

steeze

do you believe in ghosts?

Post by steeze » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:14 pm

Yeah, so I work in an office/house. My grandparents live on the second floor and are away for two days. The house used to belong to my uncle and when he passed away in 9/11, we bought it and run an advisory firm out of it. I saw two Television remotes downstairs which is odd because no one really watches TV down here, so I decided to bring the other back upstairs. The master bedroom, TV room, guest bedroom, and bathroom doors are all facing each other when you walk up the stairs to the second-floor landing. As I reached the top I thought I heard voices in the master bedroom so I put the TV remote in the TV room real quick then walked to the door. No one is in the house except me and there wasn't anything on when I left yesterday.

I figured maybe someone left the TV on or the radio while I was gone, maybe my Dad was in here who knows? As soon as my hand touched the doorknob all sound stopped completely and I opened the door to see nothing on and no one around. I walked over to the radio to see if it was on and it wasn't. No alarms were set on it but it does have a radio function. I decided to turn the radio on and see if I could hear it from out of the door to confirm if it was the sound. I walked out of the room and closed the door and the second I did, the radio turned off again. I opened the door to confirm it had turned off and walked back downstairs puzzled.

Am I losing it?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: do you believe in ghosts?

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:36 pm

I don't.

It's hard for me to weigh in on what you experienced, not having been there.
boo-------nothin but hooves, fangs, tusks, antlers and broken blades

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:50 pm

I don't believe in them either, but that whole thing did freak me out a little. It's like I know that ghosts don't exist but when the timing of me opening and doors is mimicked with the radio either turning off and on it does make me wonder.

My dad walked into the house and the first thing he said to me is, "what's that smell?" He said it smelled like the air that rushes out of a new drill when you pull the trigger.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:21 pm

That's seems like an extremely specific and rare smell.

I don't believe in ghosts specifically, especially not the typical notion of them, but I'm open to evidence of virtually anything. I do think that there's a lot beyond our fleshy, limited senses. Just because our dumb eyeballs can't see it doesn't mean a whole dimension of existence beyond our recognition can't be there, and I find it harder to believe there's not more, honestly.

On the other hand, I think 99.99% of things can be explained within our immediate reality, like what happened in your story, even if we can't pinpoint it ourselves. It seems weird but there's probably a logical reason for it.

Sort of unrelated and ranty, but I think machines could probably pick up on some of the things we can't but it's hard to make something to interpret or measure something we are unaware of, if that makes any sense.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:50 pm

Don't really believe in them, no.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 am

No

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:53 am

If anyone's ever sat through Ghost Adventures on the travel channel and not cringed at how hard those guys really try to make it look like ghosts are real then I'm at a loss for words.

I think Hollywood and pop culture really ignite those what if questions. If you'd never seen a scary movie or been taught about ghosts, the logical questions behind those unexplained events would be asked more.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:28 pm

There's a lot of evidence to support the brain's ability to produce convincing hallucinations, even in groups, and for the susceptibility of memory to suggestion, and very little evidence to support actual ghosts. I think lots of people are telling the truth about what they saw or experienced (or at least what they remember of it), but I don't think what they saw or experienced actually happened.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 pm

Inconclusive.

I'm a scientist so I'd want to experiment before giving a sufficient answer. Like IAN said, plenty of "ghosts" are explained as auditory or sensory hallucinations. When you are alone, and especially in the dark, your body is hyper aware of every single noise that happens. This hyper awareness could make you believe something or someone is there when there really isn't.

I will tell you the only "strange" "ghostly" experience I've had.

My college is one of the most haunted in America. One of the oldest buildings there is said to be haunted. My gf and I went to that building through the basement door. Now, the basement door is incredibly loud. It's one of these doors:

We entered the hallway and to the right - unknown to us at the time - was a camouflaged door.

We entered the basement - which had a nice lobby area that connected to study rooms. Everything was dark. No lights anywhere except the natural lighting from the windows.

We only stayed for about five minutes until my gf felt spooked and wanted to leave.

We returned the way we came. Now we had been standing in front of that hallway for those entire 5 minutes. We didn't stray far at all. So nobody walked past us. They would especially ask us what we were doing there since we weren't really supposed to be there.

The camouflaged door was open.

My gf FREAKED and ran outside.

I stepped into the room and shouted, "HELLO?"

No answer. It was dark inside and I couldn't see much beyond what looked like a wooden storage space.

My gf quickly returned to grab my arm and drag me outside.

That was - if ever - the only "strange" experience I had with "ghosts". Who opened the door? Nobody answered me. Nobody could have entered that hallway from the inside of the basement without us seeing them.

One explanation is that someone used the outside door to get there. But like I said, that door is extremely loud. Nigh impossible to enter without making noise or letting the air from outside "swoosh" in. It was so quiet there you could have heard a pin drop.

Another likely explanation is that the camouflage door wasn't closed all the way or locked to begin with. It's possible that opening the outside basement door could have let in some wind and shifted the air so that after we walked by, it opened.

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:47 pm

I don't personally believe in ghosts, but I do adore logical explanations for them. I find the ability of the human mind to invent these phenomenon more interesting/less terrifying than the idea of them being real.

It's like the Flatwoods Monster and its "sightings" likely just being owls caught at a weird angle.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:42 pm

If we're bringing up sightings, I think Bigfoot might've been real. Not sure about aliens because as far as images go anything old is blurry and useless while anything recent can be faked.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:24 am

I'm actually slightly more inclined to believe in aliens than I do ghosts.

I kind of think we have at least been visited once. Then they realized what a **** this place was and left, disinterested.

I want to say it was Neil deGrasse Tyson who said something that kind of blew my mind thinking about it this way. When the U.S. bought the Louisiana Purchase, were any of the animals aware that their land was now under our ownership? Our planet could be in some kind of "galactic territory" but because our intelligence is of no great consequence, we are blissfully unaware of greater events out there.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:36 am

Aside from thinking Tyson is a pretentious hack, that's basically just the ending to Men in Black. We're objectively aware of our surroundings, I get the comparison but humans and animals are apples and oranges. Aliens would need to be higher beings, godlike, not just smarter than us, to make that comparison work.

Inferno Dragon

Post by Inferno Dragon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:41 pm

oh, I KNOW they exist! Well, not specifically ghosts per se, but spirits in general as there's one that haunts my bedroom that will climb on top of me and I can feel the weight of it doing so when it does.
for the record, I have no pets, no siblings, and I'm the only person on the side of the house where my bedroom is located whenever this happens.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:01 pm

^That's almost certainly sleep paralysis, man. Faint presences and feelings of weight, particularly on your chest, are some of the most common symptoms. As far as I know, it isn't harmful if the hallucinations aren't bothering you, but it can be indicative of other conditions. Might want to bring it up with a doctor.

Inferno Dragon

Post by Inferno Dragon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:09 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:01 pm
^That's almost certainly sleep paralysis, man. Faint presences and feelings of weight, particularly on your chest, are some of the most common symptoms. As far as I know, it isn't harmful if the hallucinations aren't bothering you, but it can be indicative of other conditions. Might want to bring it up with a doctor.
it's not just a feeling of weight on me though, I can feel something physically climbing onto my bed lower than where my feet are and slowly crawl it's way up to my chest before coming to a rest. sheets shifting and everything that would accompany someone crawling into bed. and here's the kicker, I can still move while all this is happening so it ain't sleep paralysis. ON TOP OF THAT I'm wide awake whenever this happens. it usually happens when I'm wide awake in bed trying to get myself to fall asleep but can't for whatever reason.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 pm

You're still describing a hallucination involving a ghostly presence and weight on the chest that occurs while laying on your back (I assume, given that it can crawl onto your chest) and experiencing a disruption to your sleep pattern. The actual paralysis part of sleep paralysis can be quite brief, as far as I'm aware, so being able to move isn't necessarily an indicator you're not experiencing it when nearly all of the other symptoms are present.

steeze

Post by steeze » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pm

sleep paralysis sounds scary, I'd be bugged out to go to sleep if that ever happened to me.

Inferno Dragon

Post by Inferno Dragon » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 am

I am nobody wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:57 pm
You're still describing a hallucination involving a ghostly presence and weight on the chest that occurs while laying on your back (I assume, given that it can crawl onto your chest) and experiencing a disruption to your sleep pattern. The actual paralysis part of sleep paralysis can be quite brief, as far as I'm aware, so being able to move isn't necessarily an indicator you're not experiencing it when nearly all of the other symptoms are present.
Okay, so here’s the thing. I’ve been laying in bed for a good five hours now as I’m typing this trying to get to sleep and I just can’t fall asleep. About five minutes ago, it showed up again, this time just sitting on my left shin for a solid minute and pinching my big toe. I’m currently laying on my side and it’s still sitting on my left shin. I’m currently as wide awake as I was at around 2:00pm while I was at work. This isn’t sleep paralysis dude, this is a legitimate haunting.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:42 am

You're gonna have to forgive me if I consider a ghostly thing that only shows up when you're trying to fall asleep more likely to be a variation on sleep paralysis than a ghost that has nothing better to do than sit on you when you're having trouble sleeping, particularly as taking 5 hours to fall asleep is in itself an indication of a sleep disorder.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”