Scotty Plays Every Final Fantasy Game*

Moderator: X-3

ScottyMcGee

Re: Scotty Plays Every Final Fantasy Game*

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 pm

Nooooo! It was an honest mistake! I was in a rush and had to leave work before the evil emperor my boss could find me and ask me to do something that would make me leave late!

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:41 pm

LIES

BOOGER-EATING DISHONESTY AND OPEN CONTEMPT

SCOTTY THE NOT-VERY-NICE-AT-ALL PERSON FINALLY SHOWS HIS TRUE COLOURS, AND THEY ARE THE COLOURS OF BEING A BUTTFACE

BE THOU DARNED DIRECTLY TO HECK

VILLAIN

RATBAG

BLACKGUARD

JACKANAPES

KILLJOY

BAD GUY

BIG-TALKIN

SMALL-FRY

...MEANIEHEAD
boo--------------de dirigiblez in flames, everyboddyz dead, and he lost his hat

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:40 am

ScottyMcGee wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 pm
Virtually all the characters are lifeless without any personal backstory except the insane and convenient revelation two discs later that they all went to the same orphanage as children. Through some ******** with using GFs, they develop amnesia and don't actually remember the orphanage.
Oh man scotty i know you did this review of ffviii 3 years ago but wow. Bravo. My eyes rolled in my skull during this reveal. I was dying in my office chair on how spot on that review was.
i'm a shapeshifter.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:14 am

I have a friend who (shockingly) loves Final Fantasy VIII. He recognizes that the delivery of the story is awful but loves what they tried to do with the time travel. But apparently, and I had no idea about this after 2190472190472 years,
Spoiler.
Laguna is Squall's dad.
But of course none of the main characters actually state this out loud, but it's implied and a Kiros and Ward reference it ever so vaguely.

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:29 pm

brain blast.
i'm a shapeshifter.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:35 am

Well, folks. Ladies, gentlemen. I finished Final Fantasy XV. I've been writing up my review all night. As of this post, I have officially completed every major single-player game in the Final Fantasy series (so not counting spinoffs). It's been quite a ride, and here's my last review.

Final Fantasy XV Review

Year: 2016

Original Platform: PlayStation 4

Also available on: PC, Xbox One

Version I Played:
PlayStation 4

I just want to say, first off, we’ve been waiting for this game since 2006. It took them ten damn years to finally release this game. I clearly remember the teaser trailer they released when it was called “Final Fantasy XIII Versus”, and my next-door neighbor and I were so hyped for this game when we were freaking teenagers. After years of delays, Square Enix revamped it into Final Fantasy XV.

Did it live up to the wait? Well, read and find out.

Synopsis:
Noctis Lucis Caelum is the heir to the throne of the kingdom of Lucis. On his birthday, he sets off with his three best friends and bodyguards (Ignis, Prompto, Gladio) to marry his betrothed, Lunafreya. The marriage is supposed to be a political one, though Noct and Lunafreya had grown up together and become fond of each other. But peace turns to war as the empire of Niflheim betrays Insomnia and invades. Noct, now on the run, has to reclaim his right to the throne by collecting the necessary family heirlooms which will banish the darkness.

Gameplay:
Open-world Final Fantasy.

That is the big selling point for this game.

A step up from Final Fantasy XIII’s gameplay, XV has you roaming around and attacking enemies on the field in real time. It seems like this is what Square really intended to do since Final Fantasy XII. Looking back, XIII ironically feels like it was some prototype before XII, so it really becomes apparent that XIII’s gameplay comes off as a huge mistake.

This game’s major’s strength comes from the player engaging with a massive world. You camp. You take on hunts. You take on a bajillion sidequests. You run across the world. You drive across the world. However, the dip in the gameplay comes from how easily accessible these sidequests are. The map tells you exactly where you go 24/7. I started to have an existential crisis around my 50th sidequest in a row. Why am I doing this? What’s the point? I go here to kill a thing, or go there to help someone by giving a potion or taking a picture. You start to realize that a good bulk of sidequests are either hunting daemons or fetching an item. You start to deconstruct the meaning of playing a video game as you think to yourself, “Why do I play video games?” while also thinking “But wait, one more and then I swear I’m done.”.

I get it, not everyone has the time nowadays to figure out a huge game like this. I get it, video games are now marketed to everyone for ease of access. At the same time, I personally love a good challenge. I mean, I’m the guy who has Dark Souls as one of his favorite video games of all time, so my opinion on the matter might definitely be skewered compared to most. I generally want to feel like I actually figured something out by myself rather than following a tracker on the screen and walking from task to task and then saying, “Okay done. Next.”. Too much of that and playing a video game starts to feel like a 9 to 5 job to me. This game is great to play during quarantine, but at one point I saw playing this game as feeling like an actual job. Wake up, eat breakfast, time to hunt some daemons.

This is the growing conflict some people have with story-driven games versus open-world games. I see the argument focused too much on words like “linear”, but in reality we should be talking about “automation”. If a video game is too automated, then did you really play a video game? Or did you watch a movie that allows you to control the camera angle? At first, the idea of driving around an open-world Final Fantasy game sounds amazing. Isn’t that what fans always dreamed of? In reality, you don’t really drive around at your leisure. Even when you have the car set to “manual”, you can’t speed up, drive off-road, or pull off a sick drift like in The Fast and the Furious. Your car still automatically stays on the road wherever you’re going. It’s not so much “manual” as it is “I can control where and when to stop and which road to take”. Riding chocobos at your leisure is much more fun, but becomes increasingly impractical as you can just fast-travel to necessary locations in your car.

The sights and sounds of the fictional world of Eos are enough to gloss over these shortcomings though. It IS still fun to roam around and fight monsters and save the day. My bottom line is, “You don’t think about just how mindless the tasks are unless you keep playing for many days straight.”.

Graphics:

Obviously the best thus far. However, in-game facial expressions on the NPCs are still quite stilted and awkward. If I were to get into the nitty-gritty aspects, I'd say that one downside is that the world feels drab at times. Square's increasing obsession with making Final Fantasy games more and more "realistic" seems to shun the more colorful side of Final Fantasy.

Story:
After the overly-complicated plotline of Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XV feels like a breath of fresh air. On the surface, it’s a straightforward tale of a boy seeking to become a king after his father is brutally murdered by enemy forces. We’re back to familiar territory with a story told time and time again.

Unfortunately, it falls apart somewhere around the last quarter. What should have been a strong and straightforward story turned into a rushed, hasty mess by the final act.

The story started strong, but then it became apparent that many important elements were glossed over, required you to read between the lines, or even required you to read character dossiers in the archive section of the menu. The final quarter of the story feels like someone was trying to finish NaNoWriMo, realized they were running out of time, and quickly jumped from scene to scene to reach that 50k word goal. The ten-year time-skip is a joke. The final chapter is sorely disappointing. Important side characters don’t get any screen time at all in the final chapter, nor do we ever hear from them ever again after the time-skip. The ending was appropriate though, and even beautiful. However, the overall story didn’t have the necessary emotional weight to really make me feel anything. I thought to myself, “I feel like I should be tearing up but instead I feel nothing.”. Even Final Fantasy XII, which lacked a romance, had me swelling up at the end. Final Fantasy XV didn’t make me swell up until literally the last few seconds of the post-credits scene.

People complained about all the product placement (Coleman, Cup Noodles) but that didn’t bother me.

What does bother me is the lack of variety in the main cast, and in numerous ways. There were so many interesting side characters that didn’t receive much screen time, or use at all in the story. The strong focus on only the four male leads made it a sausagefest. I was craving more out of Aranea Highwind and Iris Amicitia. I thought they would become central to the story, but they ended up being nothing more than passing aides. The cast lacked distinctive styles. When I first saw the main cast, I had a hard time telling them apart. They looked like a k-pop band. Compare the main cast of Final Fantasy XV to literally any other Final Fantasy main cast and you can immediately spot the difference.

Ironically, the four main leads have distinct personalities, and I quite loved hearing their comments and banter. It felt realistic, but at times it became ridiculous. I rolled my eyes when Prompto would say things like, “Hashtag sorry not sorry.” That was a bit too on the nose, and came off as Square trying to pander to the current generation.

But what really rubbed me the wrong way is the incredible lack of non-white characters in the entire game. Lestallum feels so wrong to me as a Hispanic. Lestallum is supposed to be modeled after Cuba. Its music, its buildings, its activities. It has a tropical climate, and yet every single denizen is pale white. Every. Single. One. I am not exaggerating. It feels so absolutely wrong walking around that city and not seeing anyone with the slightest shade of brown. This isn’t some uncalled-for SJW rant, it’s a simple fact. Tropical climates breed darker skins. My brain naturally did a double-take when seeing the all-white population, saying, “Hmmm, something’s wrong here.”. For God’s sake, Final Fantasy XII, made over a decade earlier, did a better job at displaying the various nuances in skin tones, and that was on the PlayStation 2! Final Fantasy X, even older, seemed to properly portray tropical beach populations, inspired by the Philippines and other island nations, with the character Wakka.

I noticed that they really took the time to incorporate elements from virtually every single Final Fantasy game. Aside from the crystals, the modern settings, and other obvious elements, four male leads are reminiscent of Final Fantasy III, the sinister chancellor harkens back to Kefka from Final Fantasy VI, the enemy Yojimbo resembles Final Fantasy X’s version of Yojimbo, a certain boss battle reminded me of Cid Raines from Final Fantasy XIII.
Square seemed to treat this game as a milestone in the series, alluding to everything the series ever did. It’s a shame that the story itself wasn’t quite up to snuff to be held in such regard.

Music:
The game’s major lyrical song is copyrighted, which is a first for a Final Fantasy game. It makes sense why they chose the song “Stand by Me”, both in literal and figurative terms of the story.

The score to this game is quite fantastic. The series has its first female composer, Yoko Shimomura. I have absolutely no complaints about the music. Nobuo Uematsu didn’t even pop into my head during the entire game. It’s the first time since Uematsu’s departure that I felt immersed in the score. The motifs are distinct and strong. The battle music is vibrant and an orchestral orgasm to listen to.

Notable Theme:

Somnus

The main theme of the game. It plays right away in the main menu. I love how it is incorporated into the rest of the score, and my brain kept wanting to hear it to its completion.

Direct Sequel?
No, and because of the ending, probably not? There is downloadable content that fills in the gap of events within the game. Supposedly, XV is loosely connected to Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Type-O, all sharing common themes and possibly set in the same universe.

Did it Live up to the Hype?
Eh.

Yes, and no.

It was cool to play around, but the rest is a flaccid attempt at being a notable entry in the series “for fans and first-timers”, as the words proudly display every time you load the game. It’s not the worst in the series, but certainly not the best. It’s somewhere in the mid-to-low tier.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:06 pm

"The ten-year time-skip is a joke."

this lmfaooooooooo.

Scotty spittin straight facts.
i'm a shapeshifter.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:59 pm

OH. How could I forget?

The most annoying person in Final Fantasy XV is this a-hole - Dino

The overly obnoxious Italian stereotype made me want to punch his face, and also took me out of the experience of the fictional world. Every time you spoke with him he's all like "HEY HOW YOU DOIN WELCOME TO OLIVE GARDEN YOU TALKIN TO ME BADA BING BADA BOOM SPICY PIECE OF MEATBALL CAPISCE? AMIRITE??"

steeze

Post by steeze » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:42 am

As an Italian from New York. I hated him with a burning passion. I also hate the whole fuhgettaboutit thing that people attribute to the city. Legitimately no one speaks like that except confused 70 year old men. Wouldn't be the first time a 70 and up NYer tried to ruin everything for everyone.
i'm a shapeshifter.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”