Re: VGF Streamers Index

Post by S1x » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:46 pm

I speedran my favorite local multiplayer game

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu May 02, 2019 11:42 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:59 pm
Yeah, I poked around on speedrun.com and it seems like most PC boards do game time. There were a few that just have actual time, though, which seems insane. That's just going to be a measure of who has the fanciest drive for most games.
I have new context to add to this - I was looking into running Dangan Ronpa, so I talked to people on the discord and LiveSplit has an autosplit extension you can use that can automatically pause/unpause to only record in game time if you choose that option. So if it's a game with at least enough of a following for someone to have programmed the extension for that game, you're good and you can be sure it's consistent

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:31 am

I'm on Twitch and setting up a stream for speedrunning Super Metroid. I'll probably start playing around 11 my time, in about a half hour. You can catch me here:
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:21 pm

heck yeah man

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:46 am

Not a VGF streamer but a friend of mine from the UK just got back into Twitch recently after the birth of his son to try and get some more money to support his family. Just going and lurking his stream would be really helpful to getting to him back to the numbers he was at when he left. He plays a variety of games during the week and the weekends and if you're interested in a fun interactive stream go and check him out! He is currently streaming a full play-through of the Assassins Creed games currently. Streams Diablo 3 on the weekend and jumps around to other games as well.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon May 04, 2020 10:19 pm

Gonna start streaming regularly on Monday nights. Or at least, attempting to. Mario 64 runs, mainly, but we’ll see how things progress.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Mon May 04, 2020 11:10 pm

you tried yoru best

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 am

imagine having a regular stream schedule, couldn't be me,

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue May 05, 2020 8:00 am

Apollo the Just wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:26 am
imagine having a regular stream schedule, couldn't be me,
a mood
looking up into pure sunlight

S1x

Post by S1x » Tue May 26, 2020 5:20 pm

(click to see the entire 8-tweet thread)

I suppose it's finally time to expand on this now that it's been more than 1.5 years.

I have a general idea of how to maximize the number of eyes on me at any given time, but there's a number of reasons I personally wouldn't like that:

- The hugest issue is that I don't stream constantly, just twice a week. I've tried going more frequently than that before (that 5 days per week FE3H playthrough), but it's not sustainable for my introverted self
- I would need to intentionally choose a game that people watch but not a ton of people are streaming, or at least stick to one single game for a much longer period of time. I greatly prefer switching between a small handful of my favorite games each week depending on what I feel like doing more
- I prefer no messages to low effort/irrelevant messages via my chat. If chat is not something I enjoy interacting with, that's a very bad sign
- My attitude on stream is very chill and more analytical than reactionary. This means a lack of strong gimmicks, which also means little to no clippable/viral moments of overreacting to things
- I don't like advertising myself and have never been able to do it well anywhere (including resumes). I constantly have to borrow others' opinions of my strengths, otherwise I would never self-recognize any. In addition, my presence on social media is overall quite low, which means networking is weak and people don't get many chances to find me. I've been working on sharing some reposts of silly messages I already send privately to friends, but it still feels weird
- Even though it's not technically wrong, it's really started to bug me when people say "oh are you that streamer?" I feel like this starts to set expectations of me that don't match my style at all because of the above reasons

I like my current niche. I have only kept this up the amount of time I have because I continue to enjoy myself. If you want to grow an audience, however, don't do what I do

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue May 26, 2020 8:25 pm

I may put this more eloquently later when I am not trying to squeeze it into my last couple minutes at work but

Part of me keeps thinking "what if I had doubled down on trying to grow my channel and pursued that as a potential actual tangible source of income"

But the rest of me would rather have good times in ToS than more subs, would rather stream when I feel like it rather than feeling obligated due to people paying for my product, would rather just kind of talk with friends and other Tales runners than an audience, would rather ignore questions they can google themselves than boost the numbers because of Engagement TM. I'm a lot happier using Twitch as a place to host and archive my speedrun attempts and share them with interested people than to try and Make It as a Streamer.

The attention was nice and the rising numbers also felt nice. But what feels nicer is the chill of doing whatever I want without the burden of strangers' expectations. I like my stream a lot. It's not gonna make me hundreds of dollars. But it's what I want it to be, and that's enough imo.

edit: i won't lie though i am so glad i hit the barrier to get some emotes because I love my emotes so much

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed May 27, 2020 1:28 pm

Yeah I have no intention of ever doing this as more than a hobby
looking up into pure sunlight

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri May 29, 2020 10:22 am

Trying to grow a base on Twitch isn't easy in 2020. Borderline impossible unless you dedicate all your time and efforts into it. It's a job at the end of the day. You do things at work that you don't particularly feel like doing if you want to keep it up. At the end of the day, you are an entertainer putting on a show.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri May 29, 2020 2:11 pm

I'll be on a D&D stream every Wednesday night at 9 EST on my pal Chris's channel for the foreseeable future.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”