Confess your video game sins.

Moderator: X-3

Bomby

Re: Confess your video game sins.

Post by Bomby » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm

I still haven't beaten Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, or Super Mario RPG.

Turrican

Post by Turrican » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 pm

I played Half-Life only one time online : 5 headshots in less than one minute, I never came back and never regretted it.

Does a weird boner while playing Kiby's adventures count? I'm pretty sure it does not... if you live in Japan.

mushroom

Post by mushroom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:46 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:59 pm
I never used the "Fortify" command in Civilization III for the first year or so I was playing it because 8 year old me had never heard that word and misread it as "Forfeity". For some reason I was okay with the idea that you'd need a hotkey to give up in a turn based game and that they'd put a random 'y' on the end of it.

Eventually someone said the word "fortify" in a totally unrelated context and I realized that, yeah, that probably makes more sense.
i love this

mushroom

Post by mushroom » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Bomby wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:31 pm
I still haven't beaten Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, or Super Mario RPG.
I can say that Super Mario RPG is well worth the play today. I go back to it probably once a year.

I haven't beaten Chrono Trigger but I'm actually finally in progress on it. it's really nice audiovisually but outside of bosses the combat is more or less Press A to Win

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 pm

...I buy used strategy guides at Half-Price Books.

I don't refer to them whilst playing. I just page through them sometimes, for the sheer pleasure of it. They're like catnip to me, man.

I mean, I don't buy guides for games I don't own (I'm not that sick). Lots of them are old, though. Today I bought guides for 'Soul Reaver', 'Diddy Kong Racing' and 'Paper Mario: TTYD'. The DKR one has a couple passages highlighted, as though it was an old college textbook------------I find that charming, for reasons I can't really articulate.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:13 pm

I've only ever gotten the bad ending in CT; i.e., the one where you die in the final fight. It took me eons to beat FFVI too and that was worth <3

I use guides when I'm trying to high% or something like that.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:20 am

...I totally looked up Juliet Starling's skirt on purpose, dude. The achievement name is a lie for cowards and stinkos.

(EDIT: Also I secretly kind of loved the 'Hannah Montana' game. It was charming in its garbageyness. I kind of want to take another shot at it. Get all the way to the ending, when (presumably) Miley sings 'The Climb', and then (also presumably) I get inspired... to climb out onto the roof and then jump to my death so I won't have to hear 'The Climb' no more.)

(EDIT2: When I was playing heck out of 'Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare', I had some vivid nightmares. Not of the zomblers-----------the horses, man. War, and especially Famine. Sick-looking red-eyed devil monster-horse constantly surrounded with a swarm of locusts. Great, who doesn't want to see that in the next ep of MLP. Jiminy jillickers, man.)

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:01 am

I've had a Switch since last Christmas and I've hardly touched it. Only played a quarter of Mario Odyssey. Haven't even started Breath of the Wild.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:36 pm

I have a Wii U. I've never un-boxed it nor used it in the box. I'm sorry. Not. :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:48 pm

^Naughty naughty naughty! Buying video game stuff and never using it? For shame!

(*door creaks slowly open behind Boo, revealing the obscenely decadent pile of gaming junk that Boo sleeps on like Smaug and dives into like Scrooge McDuck and sometimes just stares dead-eyed at like Tony Montana*) (*Boo does a Kevin McCallister, consumed with pure existential horror at being thus unzipped*)

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:36 pm

I have never donated to any kickstarters. Even Divinity: Original Sin 2.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:56 pm

^I haven't either because i fear the slippery slope

Also, I'd be more likely to donate to a board game kickstarter than a video game kickstarter
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:06 pm

I can confirm that donating to Kickstarters is a very slippery slope, and I now own way too many board games.

That said, the two video games I've backed that have come out weren't very good, and most of the others are at least a bit late. So there's a good case for you having made the right decision there.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Crowdfunding in general seems like a wonderful idea, right up until suddenly it isn't.

Used to do Patreon biz. Donating to artists I admired (five bucks apiece to four cool dudes on a monthly basis)----------seemed like a cool way of showing my appreciation, right? Kiboshed that sh*t in a heartbeat when the furnace stopped working and unexpectedly 'twenny bux' became me getting to eat for a month.

Nowadays I show my appreciation the old-fashioned way---------buy the t-shirt, right. Buy an awesome t-shirt, and go around, being an awesome guy wearing an awesome t-shirt, and thereby create buzz. Support the artist by getting others to support the artist. Meritocracy, yeah?

You can call it art, but unless it puts food on the table, it's really more of an expensive hobby, isn't it. I have my own expensive hobbies, I'm not going to go supporting someone else's just for fun, am I.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”