What was the first time you ever went out of bounds in a video game?

Moderator: X-3

Apollo the Just

What was the first time you ever went out of bounds in a video game?

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:02 am

Title.

When I was in high school I was finishing up my first (and only ever) playthrough of Ocarina of Time: Master Quest. The thing is I got a faulty copy and one of the silver rupees in the Fire Seal of Ganon’s Castle wasn’t implemented correctly and physically could not be picked up. It wasn’t just me either - I think I looked up the problem (I thought maybe it was a fake one and you had to collect a real invisible one somewhere but the lens of truth failed me), and found someone else on some ancient message board with the same problem and no one had a solution because theirs all worked fine.

I eventually ended up watching a YouTube video that was either a glitch tutorial or just someone showing it off, in which they hookshot through a torch in the room just before the central chamber to clip into that main room with it de-loaded so you can pass through the elemental barrier. It might have been part of some ancient any% speedrun route or something. Anyway, I messed around with it on my copy and eventually managed to clip OoB and get into the main chamber with it unloaded and get past the barrier without completing the fire seal.

I felt like **** Hackerman, guys. It was so cool.

DarkZero

Re: What was the first time you ever went out of bounds in a video game?

Post by DarkZero » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:46 am

Getting out of bounds in the Tony Hawk games was always fun. I mentioned on Twitter getting OoB in THUG 2 Los Angeles by jumping onto the freeway and skitching a car into a huge OoB background area. But the moon gravity cheat also lets you scale walls in both the Underground games (maybe other games in the series I haven't played, too). Most of them are just little pocket areas but sometimes there's a substantial amount of space to play in.

Boston in THUG 2 sucks because for whatever reason the developers were particularly diligent in not letting you go out of bounds whatsoever. Even places you would literally never reach in normal gameplay are programmed to spit you back out into the play area. Laaaaame.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 am

Probably Oblivion, but I don't remember if it was a deliberate console command or a broken mod. Both of them happened a lot.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:21 am

On purpose: Majora’s Mask, when I started learning the speedrun in college. I got pretty dang good at the fairy fountain wrong warp. Unfortunately, I never finished learning the run. Other than that, Mario 64 is when I started learning my first clips and such, like the baby’s first clip in the upstairs stairway of the castle, and of course the BLJ up the endless stairs.

Accidentally: you know, now that I formatted my post like this, I can’t think of a time I truly went out of bounds accidentally in a game. It probably happened in some early N64 game like Mario 64 or Banjo or, like, Buck Bumble, but nothing comes to mind. I thought I’d think of something. Maybe someone else will jog my memory.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:34 am

Probably a game with a noclip cheat, if that counts. Most likely Duke Nukem 3D.

I can't recall any instances of me accidentally falling out of bounds, but I'm sure it's happened before.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:47 am

Actually, I distinctly remember getting hit into the out-of-bounds in Mario Kart 64. Lakitu immediately comes to get you in those situations, but I definitely remember it happening.

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 pm

i went OoB accidentally in ...some Tony Hawk game? i don't remember which one it was. i don't think i ever have went OoB on purpose

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 pm

I remember TRYING to go out of bounds in GoldenEye 007 for the N64. I kept running into the fake woods in Severnaya and being like "I MUST SEE IF I CAN EXPLORE THE WORLD BEYOND!!!"

There's a game I know I went out of bounds by accident and was able to reproduce it. It's on the tip of my tongue but it's not coming to me. I hate it.

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:02 pm

probably pokemon blue that game gets pretty wonky once you start glitching all about

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:39 pm

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle in the Chao Garden

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:01 pm

First one I successfully did on purpose was definitely Pokemon Yellow, with the Safari Zone "Glitch City" trick. I tried some in Mario games before that but never succeeded, except unless SMB3 counts, in the tower made of bricks. I broke through a ton and landed outside of it. I don't think it counts as out of bounds, technically, but it didn't seem to be an intentional, normal play area.

I usually never try to do it unless there's a cool, vast area teased to the player. Spyro 1, Metroid Prime, and Wind Waker each have lots of hills and open space beyond invisible walls that I desperately tried getting to. Especially Wind Waker, with the flooded Hyrule area. I couldn't figure out how to enter those areas but thanks to Boundary Break, a cool YouTube channel, I at least got to see what's out there better.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:31 pm

OH I REMEMBER NOW

Dark Souls.

There's this section in the Tomb of the Giants where I discovered a minor glitch into the actual tomb of those skeletal giants. I was trying to get the jump (hah) on them literally by jumping down on their heads, since I kept getting hit using the ladder. I had a two-handed sword and when I lunged down, I clipped through the floor and was able to get back up again. I was able to reproduce it repeatedly until I got bored of it.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”