GUESS WHO'S AWESOME AND DISCOVERED A TALES OF SYMPHONIA SPEEDRUN SEQUENCE BREAK

Moderator: X-3

Apollo the Just

Re: GUESS WHO'S AWESOME AND DISCOVERED A TALES OF SYMPHONIA SPEEDRUN SEQUENCE BREAK

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:19 pm

dont bring that up kat that run was so bad i was such a scrub I HAVE SINCE GOT GUD

smol Kat

Re: GUESS WHO'S AWESOME AND DISCOVERED A TALES OF SYMPHONIA SPEEDRUN SEQUENCE BREAK

Post by smol Kat » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Just keeping you humble my dude. Remember your roots! :p
looking up into pure sunlight

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:30 pm

it's true.... my deep, dark past is that i was, at one point, a........
Spoiler.
............casual :frown:

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:00 am

Speedrunning almost anything is impressive to me, at least at high levels. Playing ToS flawlessly for 6 hours is probably just as difficult as cracking 15m on OoT in its own way.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:12 am

I made a tutorial video because I felt bad that Jay has to re-do like 4 world records to implement this so I figured the least I could do was document it so he doesn't also have to edit the route documentation. :p

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:23 pm

Spoiler.
in spoilers bc there's a mean word that starts with "fu" in there. but!!! i discovered so far the ONLY clip(s) in abyss other than the map glitch meme on slim ps2. found on 3ds, dunno if works on other versions yet. need to do a lot more work to theory craft its usefulness. i am on a ROLL.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Dude heck yeah, this owns. Keep doing what you’re doing

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm gonna just keep posting in here even though only like 3 people care because I am kind of the only active glitch hunter for these Tales games considering they are nicher than niche. Bertin (Sylux98) is going to be running Abyss PS2 in Tales of Marathon this weekend so I spent last weekend furiously testing things to prove that this clip actually saves time, because if it doesn't save time why put it in a run.

I've decided that glitch hunting is fun but routing and implementation sucks.

The good news!

- Cost to detour and clip into Mushroom Road instead of going straight to Daath on the very first trip to the Outer Lands when you can fly in the Albiore: about 1 minute 52 seconds. I'd say about a minute is the clip itself and the other minute is just how out of your way it is.

- Overall gain: about 2 minutes 45 seconds. You gain about 1 minute 30 seconds from Act 2, because getting the Greater Flightstone at the earliest possible moment makes it so the segment when the Albiore's flight ability is supposed to be sealed you can still fly just fine - so you save on a lot of parking and walking, and are able to fly right to your destination. At this point it hasn't quite made up for itself yet, but the kicker is you save an additional minute and 15 or so in Act 3 because you can park next to Mt. Roneal and don't have to walk through Keterburg and then some.

What I learned this weekend is that it takes a lot of work to do the seemingly simple task of answering the question, "does this thing that obviously saves time actually save time?" I spent a couple train rides messing around and came up with a clip from it; I spent virtually an entire weekend proving that it's worth doing in runs.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to route a Pokemon game.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”