Post by smol Kat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Worst games of the past 30 years:

1. Garfield Kart

Okay, I'm done!
looking up into pure sunlight

Apollo the Just

Re: Games of the Decade: '00s

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:30 am

How about most blursed games of the '00s. I nominate Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban for Nintendo GameCube. It is somehow both legitimately charming in a lot of ways and an utter dumpster fire in many others. I give it a score of "crashing because it can't load all of the dementors" out of ten

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:58 pm

I was more inclined to post games like Assasins Creed Unity and Thief. I'd say warning other people about games you had a bad time of it with isn't exactly being negative. Sharing your insight allows people to stay away from similar experiences. Makes the world a better place. Not everything has to have toxic undertones, ya know?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:58 am

Tell you what game I should have had on my list, was 'We ♡ Katamari'. That thing is TNT. Still one of my favourite soundtracks ever----------I'd rather listen to "Tsuyogari Katamari" or "DISCO☆PRINCE" than most things.
boo--------------de dirigiblez in flames, everyboddyz dead, and he lost his hat

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:02 am

This is perhaps the hardest decade for me to cover for the simple reason that I wasn't playing a lot of video games throughout the decade. There are a lot of major titles where I enjoy what I've played, but I still have not played very much enough of to put them in my top 10 even to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if they did make my top ten. There are a lot of games which I hear so much about being amazing that I simply have not played at all.

A lot of the games I did like a lot were either remakes or multiple games of the same series, and I'm putting in a "one game per series, no remakes" rule. But of the games I did play a lot of, here are my favorites:

10. F-Zero GX
If we never see another F-Zero game, at least the last console title in the series was the best it has to offer. IT's difficult as hell, but absolutely thrilling every second. The design of the tracks couldn't be any better.

9. Super Smash Bros. Melee
Melee might be my favorite of the Smash series simply because of how much time I spent playing it with my friends throughout high school. This was the debut of Roy, who has continued to be the character I play best as in the subsequent installments he's appeared in.

8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
I never really understood the concept of "playing video games for the story" until I played Phoenix Wright. By turns humorous and dramatic and loaded with so many memorable characters, this was my introduction to the series. I absolutely love the court scenes, which make me feel like a lawyer... even though, as Honest Trailers put it, you're really just playing a "choose your own adventure" story with one correct path.

7. Shantae
There are some aspects of this game that haven't aged well which later installments have improved upon: there is no need for a limited life system, money is scarce to come by, and screen crunch can get pretty bad in certain areas. Even with those issues considered, what is present in the game is still fantastic. I absolutely love the mix of Zelda-like temples in a Metroidvania game.

6. We <3 Katamari
Weird as hell in the best way possible. This gets the edge over the original Katamari Damacy mostly due to the music, though I would argue the levels are better as well. I actually enjoy watching other people play this game as much as - if not more - than playing it myself, mostly because I'm terrible at it.

5. Mario Tennis
I feel obligated to put the original Mario Tennis in my top ten due to the fact that for as long as I played it, I was absolutely fantastic at it. For real. Once I got the hang of it, no one could beat me. No one. It got to the point where I didn't really even enjoy it that much, I just felt like it was my duty to be the very best, like no one ever was.

4. Metroid Fusion
I love the atmosphere of this game. Yeah, it's linear as all hell, but making it more straightforward than the other Metroid games allowed it to build an engaging narrative, and even more so a horror movie vibe. I particularly found the addition of Samus's narration between segments to be a nice touch.

3. Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Muramasa comprises three things I absolutely love: Metroidvanias, swordplay, and a feudal Japanese setting. The incredible aesthetic stands on its own, but the fact that the actual gameplay is just as good solidifies this as my favorite game on the Nintendo Wii. It's such a damn shame we never got a sequel.

2. Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
I might be objectively wrong with this one. I went back and forth between Minish Cap and Majora's Mask for representing the Zelda series. While the latter is a more unique game, a higher artistic achievement, and probably the "better" of the two, I ended up giving it to Minish Cap for the simple reason that I just find it easier to go back to for another play through.

1. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Where to start with this one? THPS3 is simply my favorite sports game of all time. I'll always love the care and detail that went into this game, and it's still ever bit as fun to play today as it was 18 years ago. The levels are the best in the series, and the fact that the soundtrack had Redman, Xzibit, Del the Funkee Homosapien, and KRS-One to boot was a great plus. For extra fun, turn on the cheats. There's a reason why this game is tied with Grand Theft Auto III for the highest ranking PS2 game on Metacritic (with a whopping 9.7), and that's because it's really just that great.

Honorable mentions:
-Street Fighter IV
-Metroid: Zero Mission
-Burnout 3
-Metroid Prime
-Simpsons Road Rage
-Mario Kart: Double Dash
-Wind Waker
-Majora's Mask
-Oracle of Ages
-Oragle of Seasons
-Twilight Princess (Gamecube version only)
-Timesplitters: Future Perfect
-Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
-Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
-Mario Kart DS
-Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
-Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

Games which I love what I've played, but haven't played enough of to rank:
-Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade
-Beyond Good & Evil
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Okami
-Golden Sun

And just for fun, games that seem like shoe-ins that for some dumb reason I've never actually played, even though I actually own a few of them:
-Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door
-Resident Evil 4
-Eternal Darkness
-Capcom vs SNK 2
-Final Fantasy IX
-Final Fantasy XII
-Marvel vs Capcom 2
-Conker's Bad Fur Day
-Shenmue II
-Shadow of the Colossus

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”