31 Days of Games You Might Be Interested or Disinterested in! 2019

Moderator: X-3

Apiary Tazy

Re: 31 Days of Games You Might Be Interested or Disinterested in! 2019

Post by Apiary Tazy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:09 am

Day 20: Dominic of Silos

Dominic was born in Navarre, Spain and became a Shepard. He loved solitude and as such joined the monastery of San Millan de la Cogolla. After getting into a scuffle with the king of Navarre over stolen items from the monastery, he left for Castille where the king there appointed him as abbot of St. Sebastian at Silos. The monastery itself was in a bad shape, so Dominic set about to reform the building and lives of the monks. He would die on December 20, 1073 however, a century afterwards it is said that Joan of Aza visited his grave and he appeared before her. He assured her that she would bear another son, and she did so, naming him St. Dominic. This other Dominic would go on to found the Dominican Order, a group that places its priests at the forefront of intellectual thought. Meanwhile, the monastery built up by the first Dominic stands to this very day.

Let us begin this feast with...

Do Not Feed The Monkeys

Perfect For:
- If you liked the idea of Night Trap, but don't like being berated by a superior officer.
- The friend who likes watching a bunch of shows at once.
- Oddly enough, monkeys.

What You Need: A computer.

Surveillance states are serious business. A lack of privacy can eventually be used against just about anyone in the right circumstance and it's an unnerving proposition. People aren't able to handle someone watching them forever and ever. In many first world countries, the idea is deplorable, something to go crazy over. In others, it's just another millstone that joins the others around your neck. In a society with no control, what's one more thing on top of everything else?

You are a member of the Primate Observation Club. You're job is to observe the "monkeys" in their dwellings and gain their information for archival. You live in an apartment and get money for personal use so long as you do your job watching these people. However, you can choose to interfere directly, or feed the monkeys. You can help or hinder them, but these actions could result in disaster for you. You're not protected in your apartment. Anything could (or couldn't) happen. That is the draw of Do Not Feed the Monkeys. What will you do when you see something you can't abide by? Will you let it go or not? Will you get caught? And will you be able to take care of yourself in the meantime? You are as much a monkey as they are, after all. It's all about choice, so go ahead and choose, will you?

Turn this off right now...

Umbrella Corps

Not For:
- Resident Evil Fans
- Resident Evil Movie Fans
- E-Sports

What Runs It: PC and PS4

YEAH! SPORTS! YOU DID THE THING AND GOT THE POINTS! YEAH! GET TO THE ZONE AND DO DANCES THEN SWITCH TO STOP THE POINTS! GET A BUNCH OF MONEY THEN LOSE IT BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T TAUGHT HOW TO HANDLE THAT MUCH MONEY BECAUSE YOUR EMPLOYERS WANT YOU TO WASTE EVERYTHING YOU EARN SO YOU'RE DEPENDENT ON PLAYING MORE! YEAH! SPORTS! PUT EM IN YOUR MOUTH AND CHEW! CHEEWWWWW! KEEP CHEWING! THERE MAY COME A TIME WHEN THEY'LL TELL YOU ITS TIME TO STOP BUT THAT TIME ISN'T NOW!!!

There's a lot of clean up to do in the Resident Evil World and you, along with nine other organizations, are vying for whatever Umbrella Co. left behind. And so a proxy war starts up. I guess. Umbrella Corps centers on being a competitive multiplayer shooter with three classes who are meant to kill the opposing team while zombies sort of just shamble about. The main gimmick, as such, is the Zombie Jammer that renders you invisible to the horde. However a Jammer Buster also exists to disrupt its power and make users visible to zombies again. Not that exciting, right? Well, it's a bad multiplayer game made to capitalize on E-Sports except it wasn't fun enough to gain an audience. Turns out money can't buy everything, like a fanbase, or competitors. It can get you a good Resident Evil game. Eventually.

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:48 am

Day 21: Thomas the Apostle

Thomas was one of the Twelve Apostles that followed Jesus as he spread his father's word across Rome. He confessed his faith to Jesus upon seeing his crucifixion wounds, but he didn't believe it immediately so the group chat called him Doubting Thomas for the rest of his days. However, he is also said to be the only witness to Mary ascending to heaven, so maybe its doubting other apostles, huh? Anyway, Doubting Thomas went to India to spread the Christian faith and built various churches. He was martyred at St. Thomas Mount in Chennai in 72 AD. Naturally, as a disciple, he has multiple churches and relics dedicated to him, so praise be to Doubting Thomas. May he always be doubtful.

Bit.Trip Series

Perfect For:
- Those passionate about rhythm games
- Avant-Garde Auteurs
- If you played Runner2 or Runner3 and want to go BACK TO THE BEGINNING.

What You Need: Wii, 3DS, and PC if you want the whole collection.

We all experience troubles day to day. However, we also find some level of success to either overcome or live with these troubles. From cradle to grave, life will always take a different path for every organism that passes through, be it in the lap of luxury or the wilderness. It is folly to assume one will have no problems for all eternity while the other has nothing but hardships to look forward to. However, how those hardships are handled tests us and molds our personality for the future for good or ill. So, uh, right, video games exist don't they?

Commander Video is a creature flying through space. With the power of the various colors he has within, he is able to understand the music of the universe. Or something like that. Bit.Trip as a series is five small games that can be beaten in less than an hour. The trick is that all of them have similarities to them, at least in terms of style. Gameplay wise, all but the first and last are different in terms of gameplay and the real challenge comes from being good enough at each of these games that you get to max level and get a really high score from each of them. It's not impossible to clear, mostly this is about personal challenge. Whether you're playing pong, an endless runner, or a 2d rail shooter you'll notice some similarities here and there and if you get the complete package, you won't have to wait long before playing the next one. Or you can hold off on it. The future is yours to control as you see fit!

No time for gross video games...

Pit-Fighter

Not For:
- If your really like like beat-em-up games.
- Your sister that loves watching mixed-martial arts.
- Patricio Freire, Bellator's Lightweight and Featherweight Champion

What Runs It: Arcade, SNES, Game Boy, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Sega Genesis, Sega Master System, Atari Lynx, Atari ST, Amiga, Amstrad CPC, MS-DOS, or an arcade collection with actual good games on it.

Combat will always be a spectator sport. Tell me you looked away when two people fought in the Wendy's parking. I'll show you a mirror and tell you to look at this liar because you totally watched it. Fights are always interesting, even when they end in five seconds. That doesn't mean it was a good fight, mind you. They're just the more harmless version of a car crash is all. Much like this game, though maybe it did steal your quarters.

The pit is place where fights are common and money flows like wine. You're here to fight and the people are here to watch you bleed. In Pit-Fighter, you face opponents until there's no one else to knock down. Meanwhile, weapons get thrown in to help the competitors and people form a barrier to either push or attack people fighting and occasionally if you have friends you can fight them too. Of course... you actually have to play Pit-Fighter to do all this. The game has virtually no depth perception as you're treated like the sprite that you are. Attacks will whiff constantly on both sides, which compounds with the sort of awkward way that health bars decrease. Everything is a slow round of happy slap fights worse than most fighting games you'll ever play. Its only draw was that it looked real compared to other games, so I hope that it can rest easy knowing that Mortal Kombat managed to have that and not be a bad game. Pit-Fighter hobbled so Mortal Kombat could walk... so Tattoo Assassins could crash its car.

I'm being surprisingly rude with these, aren't I? Well, that's nothing a forklift over a small pile of cash on the floor won't solve.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:57 pm

I've only played the first Runner and never got very far. Fun but hard!
looking up into pure sunlight

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:09 pm

I wonder if there's a universe where Pit Fighter was good and became the Street Fighter of the fighting genre.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:39 pm

you mean you've never played classic like Super Pit Fighter II Turbo?
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:30 am

About that. There is actually some proof of a Pit Fighter 2 in development if this article is right. Naturally it was cancelled, but what's really interesting is that there technically is a sequel in that what is in this article eventually got put into Guardians of the Hood. It's at least more than a series of single fights so on that alone it's an improvement.

Anyway.

Day 22: Lottie Moon

Born to rich Baptists in Virginia, Lottie grew up on a tobacco plantation as fourth in a family of five girls and two boys. She was sent to gain a high education where she would become the first woman in a southern institution to gain a Master of Arts degree. She learned Latin, Greek, French, Italian but especially Chinese. In her early teens, however, she experienced a spiritual awakening thanks to the founder of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, John Broadus. She would live through the Civil War tending the family estate then being a teacher helping open the Cartersville Female High School and ministering to poor families in Georgia. However, she came to be a missionary that would travel to China after learning her sister would do the same. There she would continue to teach but she wanted to perform direct evangelism and became frustrated at being forced to teach forty or so students and not being allowed to speak to a group of women instead. Eventually, she would get her wish, moving to the areas of P'ingtu and Hwangshien while writing articles about her life and how they needed more missionaries to continue their work and give furloughs back home at least every ten years. She would be in China for the first Sino-Japanese War, the Boxer Rebellion, and the uprising of the Qing Dynasty, and in spite of the reduced budget of her missionary work, she would share what she could with those that needed it. This resulted in the discovery of her weighing 50 pounds. Although she was sent back home as a result, she would die in Kobe, Japan on December 24, 1912. She would be honored with Veneration by the first Native American Angelican priest, Henry Budd.

Sleeping Dogs

Perfect For:
- If the term "Japanese GTA" doesn't cause flashbacks of bad Yakuza advertising. Ignore that this game is set in Hong Kong.
- People that love Martial Arts Films.
- Cops.

What You Need: A Computer, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, or Xbone.

Undercover work is as exceedingly dangerous as it is a necessity. To gain evidence against a group of criminals, sometimes inside information is key. Otherwise, things like organized crime would go unfettered. Some would argue that it still goes unfettered in spite of that, but we're not here to be depressed. We're here to beat up bad guys from the inside! Let's go!

Wei Shen is an undercover officer for Hong Kong and the United States infiltrating the Sun On Yee Triad. By doing their handiwork his way, he can hopefully get close enough to the inner circle of this organization. But will he be able to keep his duty as a cop while not arousing suspicion in the Triad itself? That is Sleeping Dogs, an open world third person shooter with close range fighting mechanics. You can run around to your hearts content. Running, climbing, driving vehicles, starting fights and the like. As you do tasks you gain one of three experience bars: Triad, Face, and Police. Using each one directs you into a different set of abilities or objects you can use freely. This is combined with Arkham-styled combat in combination with environmental takedowns and unique moves to put foes into submission or death. There's a lot to do in Hong Kong and much to interact with, so if you need that open world fix with real meat, this game has you covered.

It takes two to take the trash outside. YEH! WHOO!...

Action 52

Not For:
- Plug and Play Collectors.
- The sake of irony.
- Aries, Apollo, and Hercules

What Runs It: NES and Sega Genesis.

For a long time, there were various countries that had no solid market or protections for video games. This resulted in a lack of effort in these places which in turn caused rampant piracy. Some games had Mario's head placed onto the protagonist while others simply mashed several games onto a cart with the idea of fifty being more than one in the same way you could be tricked into getting ten pennies for two quarters. Problem is that if none of the games in the pack are good or run well, then it was a waste of your time. It makes sense, therefore, for such a system to be stolen by FLORIDA MAN, developer of Action 52! Yes, the developers of this game are from Florida.

Seeing his son play a 40 in 1 game cartridge, Vince Perri decided that he could make a legal version of the same concept. Therefore, with 20 million in private backers, he and four others worked for three months to make fifty two games with IBM supplying the carts to make Action 52. It was then sold for two hundred dollars. I don't think I need to tell you that this was a bad deal. Of these 52 games, none of them worth even a dollar. In fact, some of them don't play at all! There's several platformers, top-down shooters, art that looks like it was made in a half-hour, and stolen music. There is one thing that is technically meant to be of worth on this mess and that's Cheetahmen and that's mostly because it's the only game with SOME effort put into it. Even then, most of what makes it notable never really came out so... yeah. Bad. Don't even play it for a joke.
Last edited by Apiary Tazy on Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:50 am

Day 23: Saint Thorlak

From Hiloarendi, Iceland, Thorlak was ordained as a deacon at fifteen and a priest at eighteen. He then studied around the world so he could return to Iceland and found his own monastery, working to stop the sale of church offices and positions there. He is said to have performed dozens of miracles that were all covered in the book "The Saga of Saint Thorlak". This book was republished for Pope John Paul's visit in 1989 in the hopes of him being canonized. This man who died in 1193 and left no big impact on the world at large was recognized as the Patron Saint of Iceland as a result. A nine day devotional prayer in his honor was also approved in 2018 for those faithful in Iceland.

Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee

Perfect For:
- Remembering King of the Monsters exists. Also learning that King of the Monsters exists.
- Your friend that gets upset when you point out that Clifford the Big Red Dog is a Kaiju
- That woman who was in the Baragon suit.

What You Need: Gamecube, Xbox, and Game Boy Advance?

Video Games are always fun with more people. That's just a fact. You can't deny it. Even the worst games can be somewhat tolerable with friends, though I wouldn't say that redeems any of them. But naturally this means games made only for messing around with friends exist as well. Leave it to Pipeworks to figure out how a Kaiju game can be fun in this manner yet real to the source material.

Chaos reigns as monsters all jump up and attack each other at once. Both alive and dead, they are being controlled by an alien force that wants control of Earth. Luckily, one monster breaks free and takes the fight back to the Vortaak themselves. That starts our game of combat amongst the Kaiju. Destroy All Monsters Melee may require a couple codes if you want to play with everything from the start, but it has most of the big Godzilla players for you to use from Godzilla to Orga. They're not fast creatures, but they have ways to close the gap by throwing buildings or using energy to fire beams at the opposing sides. There's also a separate bar that, when filled up, will allow a super move that depends on the character played. There's also power-ups you can pick up by destroying buildings which creates this go between of fighting the opponent and just destroying whatever's around you for something to help you. Of course, the military can also cause trouble for you by attacking you with missiles, helicopters, and freeze rays that give your opponent the opportunity to slam your face into the asphalt. Plus you can play with three other people. Just... find those codes or you're playing the arcade mode like a million times. Setting up everything immediately is more important.

I SAID I THROW IT ON THE GROUND!!! I AIN'T A PART OF YOUR SYSTEM...

I Wanna Be The Boshy

Not For:
- Hardcore Gamers.
- Someone that wants a fun free game.
- Any friend you want to keep in the long term.

What Runs It: A computer will endure.

I wanna be the Guy styled games are sort of hard to judge the quality of. All of them are based entirely on breaking most of the laws meant to teach a player and laughing at failure. I Wanna Be The Guy, even though it is prone to crashing, is a sort of masterpiece in its own way, pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable in terms of gameplay on purpose. Does that make it okay or is it still bad even if it's intentional? That's a barrel of fish that still hasn't been settled to this day. However, I think I can say that the game up there passes even I Wanna Be The Guy in terms of being bad. And that's actually not okay.

A fangame for BoshyTime, an IWBTG streamer, this game follows the normal nonsequitur bulls**t these games take. A series of settings are backdrop to the hazard filled rooms you'll have to jump around in order to pass each area. There's a trick to most of them and there are bosses, all of them a reference to something, but... well... Maybe this is just a personal opinion but it's not a good game even in the basest sense of it. Due to being made in a better engine, Boshy makes use of more intricate coding... sort of. The result is really intricate bosses with tons of health and stages with articulate challenges facing a munchkin with 1 Hp, and thanks to the engine itself, it allows a far more unplanned movements resulting in far more unfair deaths. As a game, it's bad and as a game that's ironically bad, it's not worth the effort. Just play I Wanna Be The Guy if you want to get punched fairly. That exists and can be educational. You'll learn to never trust anyone ever again. ;)

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:00 pm

Boshy is fantastic to watch speedruns of but I also wouldn't wish that game on anyone

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:07 am

Day 24: Paola Elisabetta Cerioli

Constanza Cerioli was born the last of sixteen children in 1816 in the Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia. She was born frail with a weak heart, but as she grew her loner personality gave her inner strength and strong religious convictions. She was married at the age of nineteen to a count, whose marriage was plagued by the count's poor health and none of their children living to adulthood. Then her husband dies leaving her to find guidance in God. She began to assist the poor and share her possessions with orphans. She devoted the rest of her life to charity and prayer, even taking a vow of chastity and founding the Institute of the Sisters of the Holy Family in Comonte for orphans and new parents. Paola Elisabetta dies on December 24, 1865. She was beautified by Pope Pius on 1850 and canonized by Pope John Paul in 2004.

Fighting EX Layer

Perfect For:
- If you remember Street Fighter EX.
- Friends that do not like Capcom for some reason or another (probably justified, let's be honest)
- Skullomania, the salaryman of justice!

What You Need: PS4 and Computer

Fighting games are kind of hard to recommend, especially in an age of the community being mostly geared towards tournaments and being a competitive sport. That doesn't mean it's impossible to recommend games, but you probably need a group of friends to play fighting games with in order to justify the purchase. Still, if you want someone to play a game for a long time... well, pick a good one. That's a neat trick.

There's a lot of things going on! Garuda, Kairi, and Shirase are running around and there are various groups interested in taking one or all of them down. A group of individuals will fight in one vs. one combat for the honor of getting what they truly desire. Of course, it's not going to be so simple. Fighters also have the Gougi System, which gives a bunch of buffs in return for completing certain tasks like using your special bar, or taking damage, giving an extra level of personality to each character played. Hopefully, you'll have a lot of time for that experimentation with an Arcade Mode, Training Mode, and the returning from Street Fighter EX Expert Mode. By the time you finish those, you should be skilled in at least one of these characters ready to face your friends and enemies. Or, alternatively, you'll have thrown your controller at the wall... I'm just kidding. You wouldn't do that. I'm just being silly.

Now, this bad game on the other hand...

M&M's Kart Racing

Not For:
- Racing Game Fans.
- Someone that eats M&M's a lot.
- Physicists.

What Runs It: Nintendo DS and Wii

Licensed games, licensed games, licensed games... Made to capitalize on a product that is usually doing something in tandem, they're rarely any good. You're lucky to get one that barely functions, and a good one is rarer than a blue moon over Kentucky. Though it's that wish for a good tie-in that brings people in. Ultimately, however, such a practice is punished regularly until eventually such games are never made again. You didn't need any more Star Wars games anyway.

Those goofy M&Ms are racing through various environments. Who will win? Well, it turns out no one wins in these races except father time as it creeps past you forever. You can choose from a list of characters who can switch their cars, I guess. There are no real power up variance, just chocolate coins that can be used in the garage or cups that give you a turbo boost. This leads to the level of boredom you'd never expect as you race leisurely. Occasionally someone yells at you that you're approaching some barrier of sound or how your start went. If you've ever thought a racing game gives all the advantage to the first place driver, you haven't seen anything until this game. The only difficulty this game will give you is the fact that it's entirely controlled with motion, but if you overcome that it's got nothing else to throw. Expect nothing but boredom, frustration, irritation, and bad voice acting in the future if you ignore my warning. Just eat the candy. It's actually healthier for you.

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:59 pm

So first of all, Merry Christmas.

Day 25: Anatasia of Sirmium

As expected, Anatasia was born in Sirmium, Rome around 280 A.D.. What is not expected however is that she was born to a Christian mother who had her baptized and taught the Christian faith in secret. However, upon being married she was discovered by her husband and subsequently treated like a slave. However, her husband wound up drowning and so she was free. She refused to remarry and instead spent her time helping the poor, the sick, and the imprisoned. She is believed to be quite good at her healing ability, being able to clean wounds and help those in pain while saving many from poisons, evil spells, and other dangers through her prayers. However, this got her discovered by Diocletian and she was again tortured. She was then sent to the Island of Palmaria and burned to death in 304 AD. She would have various churches and monasteries built in her name during the fifth century, some of which still hold some of her remains.

No Deliveries

Perfect For:
- If you enjoy Rougelikes.
- Friends that work service jobs (They might find it funny)
- The body bag wriggling around in your storage closet.

What You Need: To go here

Actually, never mind it's Halloween. Christmas is dead to me.

Working at a restaurant can be surprisingly hard. You have to interact with tons of people day in and day out. You're lucky to get thanks. You're even luckier to get a raise as you get grinded down into nothing. Forget ambivalence, it's possible the head of the company despises having to deal with employees like you. It's almost like if you learned they were hiring people to have them killed... everything would make sense.

Stezzoni is a pizzeria where employees are hired and left to their own whims. Only with a good level of Professionalism, Competance, and Fun can they be a good employee, though Wrong Turns and terrible sights are expected. But what is happening to make this place so dangerous? Who knows. You have to make the best of it using an RPG system that centers on the use of items you find and buy to survive. There is a hub world to clear out, but more importantly there are Wrong Turns, or dungeons that you have to investigate and eventually exterminate the source of. With each extermination, you can then open up more of the main restaurant while also dealing with actual customers in the day time. However, who's to say that you'll be able to accomplish your task? If and when you die (or get fired), your items and money are passed to the next employee who's class will be entirely different as will their play style. To make the most of a situation, you will have to make sure not to put all your eggs into one basket or you may wind up in a situation that is unwinnable. There's a lot to do for five dollars, so make sure your decisions don't embarrass the company. You do so at your own risk.

Okay it's Christmas again in time for this bad game...

Alone in the Dark Illumination

Not For:
- If you liked Left 4 Dead.
- Your brother who has no wish to lose friends.
- Even Ezechiel Pregzt, dread immortal pirate.

What Runs It: Windows but don't rely on that.

Evil spirits, ghosts, and ghasts. You don't want them. Your friends won't take them from you and neither will the government. You gotta hire a fumigator... I mean exorcist. Hopefully they'll take care of it, whether its with crosses or sage. Usually... hopefully... it'll be solved without any incident. But if it hasn't, expect some SHINANEGANS! HAPPY HALLOWEEN! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

In the abandoned town of Lorwich, Virginia the Darkness lives and thrives. It looks to devour everything and so your group is there to push it back and save the town from it. Four people enter the city and are immediately attacked by shadow creatures. So it is, so it is. A multiplayer shooter game ensues. However, this one is different from many of the others in that it relies on light. Enemies can only be killed in the light so some weapons like the flamethrower are factually more useful than an automatic rifle. As you're running out of good weapons and funneling every enemy into the light sources found in the area you'll have to perform tasks that may or may not work correctly as you do them. Woe befall you if you play this game alone as you may be a sitting duck a lot of the time, and good luck finding anyone to play this with. Even at the time of its release, no one was playing it so now it's practically barren unless you want to bring friends to your personal flaying session. Everything here only barely works, and chances are you have something better already, so don't bother. Play a game you already have and don't get the black lung. I wonder if there's some symbolism here- Oh nevermind here's Cthulhu. Hey Cthulhu!

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:43 pm

Thanks for contributing to my roguelike problem. Happy crim-cram!!

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:35 am

You're welcome ;)

Day 26: James the Just

Called Just due to his honesty and asceticism, he has also been rumored to be related to Jesus himself, either as a half-brother, cousin, or even a full brother to him. He is mentioned in various parts of the bible beginning as someone who initially did not approve of Jesus's company but eventually joined his band of believers in Jerusalem, who would come to be called Nazarenes. While he started as the leader of this group, eventually leadership shifted to Paul the Apostle, part of that possibly having to do with the rapid expansion of the Christian faith and perhaps his adherence to Judaism is part of it too. However, regardless, James would die in 62 AD from being stoned as a result of his teachings. There is a lot of controversy as to James' place in the bible including the Secret Gospel of James, which claims to contain secret revelations Jesus made to him though it is believed to not be true and it was excluded from the New Testament.

Indivisible

Perfect For:
- When you need another Valkyrie Profile style game.
- Anyone that enjoys a good journey with friends.
- Providing proof that Kickstarter games can be successful and also good.

What You Need: PS4, Xbone, Computers, and Nintendo Switch

Some would say that there's no such thing as too many friends. That's an idiom you can follow at your own discretion but there are positives to having a whole lot of friends. You'll always have someone to talk to, get-togethers are sure to be full of people, and you'll never be lacking in perspectives. Hopefully. I guess it's not hard to tell that I disagree a bit, but man, how else am I supposed to segway into this game! It's hard! I need a friend to console me! Be right back!

Ajna grew up in a remote village of Navar State until it was attacked by Lord Ravannavar resulting in the death of her father and her absorbing one of the lord's soldiers into herself. Turns out he was an Incarnation, and as Ajna vows to go after Ravannavar this means getting even more of these people to carry around. Indivisible is, as such, an entirely 2d game centering on platforming and puzzles. Eventually, this also leads to fights that are dependent on the area said fight is started in, combo, and special techniques. You summon three of your incarnations and then they all do attacks to help you out including certain commands that do extra abilities and over time you're able to get more people to help your own playstyle. Then there are side quests and a story that is steeped in Hindu mythology in a way most probably aren't that used to. It's a perfect game for those who want an RPG that carries itself a little differently from most. You do have all the time in the world after all.

Nah...

Castlevania The Adventure

Not For:
- Castlevania fans.
- Your cousin who dresses up like Dracula at costume parties.
- If you really don't like giant eyeballs

What Runs It: Game Boy... sorta.

Castlevania the Adventure Rebirth. It's still not been rereleased since Wiiware shut down. That's a real shame because as an old styled Castlevania game, it's pretty top notch. The controls, the bosses, the animation, the stages, all of it good enough to match some of Castlevania's best. However, in order for their to be a rebirth there must first be a death. I promise it has nothing to do with Iga's fear of Sonia Belmont and Alucard giving birth to Trevor Belmont, as scary as that is.

Before Simon Belmont, Dracula wasn't a devil, but just a sorcerer seeking immortality and he was getting pretty close to it. However, he also summoned demons on the local populace and so Christopher Belmont vowed to find Dracul and tell him that this is not satisfactory behavior. Maybe. It's really hard to do that in Castlevania: The Adventure. You might be surprised to discover that the Game Boy isn't as advanced as the NES which means you'll usually have to bring down your vision a bit more. Understandable. Lesser graphics and sound, and maybe things have to be more basic. Castlevania: The Adventure however makes all the wrong decisions to fit on this system. Christopher prefers to get there when he gets there and walks slow, but he also acts like Fox from Brawl and drops like a stone the moment he has no more upwards height which leads to unfair deaths. You're being timed too so things are really tight and that's on top of the terrible checkpointing that will leave you frustrated and ultimately surrender. On a console who can just shut off on you, being forced to do the same thing over and over through no choice of your own is a dangerous game to play. With so many of these games having save systems just in case, one who's replay value is "beat it in one go" needs to not control poorly. Please? Don't do this to me, my time in the backseat is limited.

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:17 am

Day 27: Sara Salkahazi

Today's focus was born in Kosice, Slovakia On May 11, 1899 to the owners of the Hotel Salkahaz. Her father died when she was two but with a strong will and mind she was able to earn an elementary school teacher's degree, becoming a bookbinder and finally a journalist for the National Christian Socialist Party of Czechoslovakia's official paper. However, at the time she was not completely into the Christian faith. Regardless, in 1929 she joined the Sisters of Social Service, taking her vows at the Pentecost of next year. There she supervised charity works, ran a religious bookstore, and establishing the National Girls' Movement. She managed to build the first Hungarian college for working women near Lake Balaton which opened homes and training courses for working women. However, her outward appearance was misunderstood by the other sisters and they would not allow her to renew her temporary vows. She continued her business without these vows. However, World War 2 would soon come to pass. During this time, she provided safe haven for Jews from the Hungarian Nazi Party with disguises while hiding them in a building she owned. During this time, she makes a formal pledge to God that she would sacrifice herself to save her other sisters, a statement that is preserved in her journals. This statement would be tested as she was tattled on by the Arrow Cross Party. While she was not there when the raid went down, she chose to return and she was shot on the bank of the Danube Rive with five others. Her body was never recovered, however, her deeds were recognized by one Yad Vashem. She was beautified by Pope Benedict in 2006.

Wing Commander: Privateer

Perfect For:
- If you remember Wing Commander.
- People that are ambivalent towards Star Wars but like science fiction.
- After you drive a truck (with your high heels on).

What You Need: A Computer and a GoG account.

Someday, you should give proper respect to the drivers behind eighteen wheelers. They're why you have food, clothes, furniture, and even more. You don't think those mail trucks do it, do ya? No, it's vehicles carrying tons of cargo. Trains, planes, and automobiles going across the country. And... just like with anything else, putting that in space instantly makes it cooler. Trust me on this.

Welcome to the Wing Commander world! You're in between the border of Human and Kilrathi space, the two having on again off again wars throughout this franchise. Inheriting a spaceship, you're planning to earn your way to a fortune when you're attacked by pirates and during said battle, one of your missiles hits some object that glows green and floats off. This is how Privateer begins, and you can choose to pursue or ignore that plot thread if you so choose. It's exceedingly open ended and you can work however you please. Do honest work as a trader, or do illicit business with bad people. It's a sandbox and you are the child. As such, there's a lot of space to cover. There's also tons of danger so you need to stay stocked up and up to date if you want to survive. There are seven factions and all of them can easily be angered by you making poor actions at them. There are expansions that I'm sure you can find somewhere and even after completing the main plot, there's things to do after that, or if your wish you can play again and try a new faction or gameplay style. Is it the best space sim game? Up for debate, but if you need a recommendation... well you could do a lot worse I think.

You know I should have put a bad flight sim here...

Duke Nukem: Critical Mass

Not For:
- If you liked Duke Nukem ever.
- Kitschy Movie fans
- Anyone bad at multitasking and sudden perspective shifts.

What Runs It: Nintendo DS

It's crazy to believe that some people are alive, capable of human thought and emotion, that only know Duke Nukem from his bad games. That's a real shame, especially since he's the progenitor of personality in western video games, and his series pushed the industry forward towards the future. It's not his fault George Broussard is a hack. So, yeah. Duke Nukem Forever took forever to come out and attempt 5395 to regain its hype was to release games in the meantime. Did they work?

No. The Earth Defense Force is attempting to monitor the future after aliens attacked our cities, the white house, the beach, and Christmas. Turns out their people disappeared in the attempt and so Duke Nukem is sent to go into the future and probably make some kind of Back to the Future reference along the way. Because he clapped when he saw it. Primarily, Critical Mass is a run and gun shooter. There are also moments of first person, third person and top down shooting segments. All of them control poorly though thanks in part to all your actions being done on the bottom screen while you're on the top. You can just get hit and unlike in Duke Nukem 3d, you can't really dodge that easily. So you'll just face tank all the damage you can and just go from health pack to health pack surviving. It's not well made and it's not good to control. There's thirty plus levels, and tons of buttons you won't know what to do with. At this point, the Atomic Edition on computers is a better purchase. Or find another game styled after it. There's like a hundred but I don't know enough about them to recommend any in detail this year.

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:35 am

Day 28: Abel

Yes, that Abel. The second son of Adam and Eve, with the first being Cain. He grew to become a shepard while Cain was a farmer and both offered some of their yield to God. For some reason, however, Abel was commended while Cain was not. Or maybe Abel got more praise. Well, it doesn't matter because Cain responded to this by killing Abel and burying him into the earth. In response, God cursed him and made him go into a canyon, being the start of some great evil or demons or back itch in the world. According to the Coptic book of Adam and Eve, he's been buried in the Cave of Treasures which is said to hold many treasures of Adam and Eve and a true history of the world leading up to Jesus's birth.

Katana Zero

Perfect For:
- If you've ever wanted another Ronin. Remember that game?
- Anyone you know that loves samurai in modernish times.
- if you kill to a Lo-Fi soundtrack for studying.

What You Need: Computer and Nintendo Switch

Man, you remember Devolver Digital? You should, they help make some crazy things. I don't even mean the E3 presentations either. Enter the Gungeon, Mother Russia Bleeds, Downwell, Hatoful Boyfriend, Serious Sam, Metal Wolf Chaos XD, and more published under their umbrella. They'll push anything interesting. So when the creator behind Tower of Heaven is making a new game, you'll be surprised to find that it's something worth looking at. Hence one half of this topic's title.

Subject Zero is a samurai in New Mecca with a lot of problems. He has to get his head examined by a shrink, he watches the news, he kills whoever he's told to. It's tough. It's even tougher with one hit killing you instantly. However, you're not really getting killed. It's just you planning a route while listening to music. Each target is then comprised of a series of levels where you have to kill all the enemies you run into while navigating a series of situations be they deadly or otherwise. Like in real life, you will have to deal with various people and how you talk, or not talk, with them may very well determine what happens in your future. You might be surprised by what happens. Well, it's hard to say if you will or not. Maybe you'll just think it's cool.

It's wrong to leave trash on the ground...

Amy

Not For:
- If you don't like escort missions.
- Mothers.
- Anyone that hates to redo progress.

What Runs It: Xbox 360 and PS3

So, I've done like a million survival horror games at this point. Not all of them were good recommendations, sure, but for the most part, bad games aren't hard? No, usually they're either easy or impassible so you can just be done with it in a day's time. Hard bad games, those are different. Are they just hard and you're being a baby about it? Or is it actually bad? Well, ask yourself: Am I able to understand what I did wrong, at least a little bit? No? Then it's bulls**t. All of it's bulls**t and I hate you.

A strange infection hits Silver City hard. Don't say zombies. As Lana, you've got to be with Amy because you're also infected with this stuff. Don't say zombie virus. Also, there are people around that want Amy because she's also autistic and if the most recent Predator taught you anything it's that autism is the next step in evolution or something. Or she could be a psychic too. That's also possible. Don't ask me why they made the psychic kid autistic. So, Amy is the only reason you're not a not-zombie which means you have to stay near her as much as you possibly can or you'll turn into a not-zombie. What's the hard limit? Who knows, it never tells you much of anything. The worst part is that the game encourages you turning somewhat not-zombie like for stealth section where you get a game over for being spotted. These game overs could take quite a distance away as well, because when the game came out the checkpoints were really spaced out. As such, you're more likely to give up than beat this game. That's probably worse than a bad game, one you know you've never really beaten. Is it better than you? No, but it'll think it is and that's the worst part of all.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:18 pm

boy the Amy Rose standalone game is even weirder than Shadow's
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:09 am

Day 29: Trophimus of Arles

Trophimus was one of the seven bishops sent by the co-emperors Decius and Herennius from Rome to Gaul, specifically he was sent to Arles. As a result, he's got churches and stuff dedicated to him. However, local tradition also assimilates him with a man of the same name who is mentioned in the book of Acts as a companion to Saint Paul. It's generally a weird claim to make as Trophius lived and died in the third century. Still his church is a great example of Roman style architecture in south eastern France along with a corner figure in his image.

Gobliiins Trilogy

Perfect For:
- Reliving that point and click nostalgia
- Your friend who's on that old cartoon kick.
- Actual friendly goblins.

What You Need: Computers, Phones, Atari ST, or Amiga

Europe actually has a lot of good cartoon properties. Asterix is french and Smurfs are Belgian as is the Adventures of Tintin. Bet you weren't aware of that, huh? Not everything cool comes from the United States you know. You'd be surprised how many of your favorites things come from outside our borders or were made in a way you didn't expect. Same's true with video games. Sure, Lucas Arts and Sierra were pioneers for the point and click adventure genre, but that doesn't mean other games weren't good too. Again, don't discount Europe.

The king has gone insane, shouting and screaming in pain for no reason! With no one really doing much of anything of worth to help him, the task falls upon three goblins: Bobo/Asgard, Hooter/Ignatius, and Dwayne/Oups. What will they do? Well, they're going to hurt themselves and other people, of course! This starts off our series of Gobliiins games made in the early 90's and beyond. That's Gobliiins, Gobliins 2: The Prince Buffoon, and Goblins Quest 3. Don't think too much about the i's. Instead, distract yourself on challenging puzzles and a number of situations to get out of no matter what game you play in this point and click series. What is different between games though is the amount of protagonists you have and what they're generally capable of. Usually, they'll have their own abilities to use on top of whatever item you're able to gain from your many hardships. And all of it goes along with a sense of humor that works within the confines of the world. So, whether you only play the first one, or the whole trilogy just know it's not going to be as simple as you might believe. Oh, and I guess you can look at Gobliiins 4 if you want.

I am just double tapping Paul Cuisset aren't i?

Flashback (Remake)

Not For:
- If you liked Flashback back in the day
- A family member that really likes innovation.
- Aliens, I suppose

What Runs It: Computers, PS3, or Xbox 360

Breaking new ground is not enough to carry a new property. That should be obvious. There's a lot of risks even in the case of success as time can render innovations meaningless and ultimately date a creation. It helps to have something solid, naturally, but sometimes you can't just mine the past. Sometimes you have to recreate the past for the future to enjoy. Let's just hope you get it right. You did get it right, didn't you?

John Conrad has suffered amnesia after his bike falls into a jungle. He finds his pistol but also a holocube of him telling himself to find Ian in New Washington as he is in danger right now. So starts a story of technology, espionage, and conspiracies remade. However, this one has problems. A lot of problems. The original Flashback was hard, but finely tuned in its difficulty. There were a lot of ways to defend and move, and since combat was secondary to these movements, it emphasized avoiding combat and playing sneakily when you could. Otherwise you got atomized. Flashback remake fears getting left behind so combat is now more of a focus with a pistol you can aim in any direction and enemies that are harder to avoid otherwise. With the rest of the game left to be Flashback-esque in control it turns everything into a huge mess that can't be recovered. That's on top of the game being exceedingly glitchy thanks to the engine making its 2d perspective a suggestion more than a requirement. Softlocks are common, as are crashes and in spite of autosaves, you may just give up regardless. The additions to the story are more just attempts to shrink the world down so it's not even good for that. At least you can play the original on it without touching the remake. Maybe that's enough for the price? I guess that's up to you.

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:26 am

Day 30: Anysia of Salonika

Anysia was born to a wealthy Christian family in Salonika. She makes a vow of chastity deciding to help the poor whenever she could. However in 304 A.D. she was discovered to be a Christian by a roman soldier who beat her with the intention of making her sacrifice to the Roman gods. When he takes off her veil she spits in his face and so she was stabbed to death. Her relics are now contained withing the Church of St. Demetrios in Thessolonica, Greece.

Let us begin this feast with

Iji

Perfect For:
- Passive Contra fans.
- That annoying cousin that thinks "What if Master Chef was a girl" is the peak of wit.
- Cheapskates.

What You Need: (1) computer

It's hard to turn down something that's free, so here you go. Choices are hard, and although a bad action can bring another in return sometimes its best to turn away and show kindness instead. But, even knowing that, would you be willing? Thinking of revenge isn't necessarily proof that you'd commit violence, but if someone attacks you... Would you really avoid fighting back?

Aliens have invaded the planet and Iji, who was pretty close by when they attacked, has been changed by researchers using the alien tech into a cyborg. It's not long before her brother contacts her and she learns this was caused by the Tasen. Now she has to convince the leader of the Tasen to leave by any means necessary. What follows is a game similar to a lot of games yet very different. There's a variety of weapons to use, all with varying purposes. There's experience to gain via nanofields, and with them various abilities like computer cracking can be upgraded. It has a unique artstyle made from 3d models that makes everything seem alien when it needs to... I'm wasting time, aren't I? Okay, so the main gimmick of this game is hidden somewhat, but it all hinges on how you deal with enemies. Kill them or avoid them all the way to get different endings. This includes bosses as well and your character will change accordingly along with any interaction you have with NPCs. On its own, this sounds like a simple idea but the game is not afraid to throw everything at you, and it's surprisingly hard in that respect. The meek need not apply, as only the strongest of wills can really save the world. And I do mean every form of strength.

Hey, can I get a refund?...

Beyond: Two Souls

Not For:
- Gamers
- Movie goers.
- Ellen Page or Willem Dafoe

What Runs It: PS3, PS4, and Computers

You have. No idea. How badly I wanted to put the entirety of David Cage's discography here. An utter hack, David Cage has absolutely no idea of what he does or says at any point. He's a game director that so badly wants to be taken seriously as someone that pushes the medium forward, but for the most part, his ideas fall into this pit of ridiculous nonsense that form the big budget version of a Neil Breen film, and also he's rumored to be a bigot. But... to put everything here would, at the very least, condemn Heavy Rain and I can't do that in good faith. Nor can I say for certain that every game he's made is absolute trash. But if all I'm putting here is Detroit: Become Human and Beyond: Two Souls... then forget it, I'm picking the worst one. Let's pick the Ellen Page fetish film. A fantabulous journey to the WORLD OF MONSTERS!!

This is the story of Jodie Holmes, a girl born with psychic powers in the form of a ghost she names Aiden. From this, we follow her life in a weird criss cross fashion from setpiece to setpiece... Basically, you'll go from adult to child to teen to adult to the future and back into the past making this story wholly about this larger narrative centered around Ghost World. I know it has a real name but it's ghost world. I don't care. For the most part you're put into rooms and made to mess with the scenery, either as Ellen Page or her ghost of rage. You do this until a cutscene happens. Dialogue options are given to you as are quick time events but rarely do either impact the story at large. Or at least, you might not feel like it matters. Ellen is shown going from scene to scene haphazardly leaving her less of a character even if you go in chronological order, which you won't. Her motivations are left to change from scene to scene, going from hating characters to falling in love with them at the whim of the writer and whoever gets stuck into the scene with her. It's only saving grace is its uniqueness of gameplay and like a lot of things, once that's gone you have a bad movie and a worse video game. Remember, you have to pay sixty bucks for trash like this. Get more upset about it!
Last edited by Apiary Tazy on Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:20 am

Not to be confused with The Last of Us.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:40 am

Day 31: Pope Sylvester I

The 33rd Pope of the Catholic Church, little is known about him. However, his position saw a time of great expansion and was around when the first Christian Emperor of Rome took office, Constantine the Great. Great churches were founded and the First Council of Nicaea occurred where the Nicene Creed was created, a prayer that would be used for several centuries. He died December 31, 335 but several stories came to be made about him. He is said to be have been a good friend of Constantine, that he was cured of leprosy by Sylvester baptising him. In return, it's said that Constantine gave the Pope power to remove the Emperor at the church's discretion. He may have also slayed a dragon.

Let us... NOT begin this feast with...

Dead Rising 4

Not For:
- If you've ever liked a Dead Rising Game
- George A. Romero fans.
- Terence J. Rotolo, original voice actor for Frank West

What Runs It: Xbone, PS4, and Computers

These days the fear of cynical cash-ins is made manifest. Revisits to old franchises are done with no care or interest in what made them so well-loved. Just put enough in to say it has everything then chince out on whatever you can. The terror of comic reboots soaking into all other media where the reboot is the go to way to fix whatever is wrong with a property. Why do I bring up reboots when Dead Rising 4 is a sequel? Because, other than a protagonist and the name of the setting, this game is wholly unattached to past games in the series, such things used to push a terrible game into making a profit.

Frank West is being pulled back to Willamette thanks to a lot of things but mostly because there are zombies again. Seemingly cured of his infection due to events in the previous game, he's become a way for the writer to tell what he read in a book was humor and obliterate any attempt at actual story telling. Not that this is hard. The game itself is as blunt as a sledgehammer yet ineffective and forgotten as quickly with the points it wants to make. That's not to say that Frank was a grizzed war hero, but the story makes him less of a snarker and more of a jerk making what he says less endearing and more enduring. This would be somewhat forgivable if the game itself had anything to actually sink one's teeth into. A game centered around avoiding zombies and getting from place to place quickly has became a button masher more boring than the worst Dynasty Warriors clone. The trappings of the series are here, yes, but they're far more streamlined for a game with no real serious failure state. It's boring, awful, annoying and while it isn't direct the game pisses all over the legacy of Dead Rising before leaving it for dead. Almost anything is better than this one.

IT'S TIME FOR YOUR MAIN EVENT...

Disco Elysium

Perfect For:
- If you're looking for a game with a lot of choices to make.
- Role Playing junkies.
- Your primal lizard brain.

What You Need: Windows, BUT in 2020 you may find it on PS4 and Xbone

Man, this is kinda awkward. I wanted this to be my big reveal that caps off the year because it's a really interesting game, different from so many others released this year. But then it won all the awards at Geoff's mainstream gaming party and now everyone knows about it... But! Maybe you were turned off by it winning so many awards, or getting popular so fast. Worry not! Here I come to give you another recommendation the way I wanted to from the beginning!

Living in an impoverished island nation that's been ravaged by takeover after takeover, you are a detective sent by the Revachol Citizens Militia to investigate a body hanging from a tree. However, there's a problem: You've drank so hard that you've forgotten everything and as such there are parts of yourself looking to gain control over your body. Who are you going to be, and will you be able to solve this case in the meantime? That is the situation that Disco Elysium wraps its system around, one that centers on skill checks for just about every action you choose to take. You can die getting your tie from a ceiling fan, at any point you can be prompted to bring up a political topic or to even enact violence on people for almost no reason at all. Everything you do can be formed into thoughts you can choose to take or disregard, and given how centered on the mind it is, it's extremely meta. It's short for an RPG, understandably. However, you won't be lacking for what it gives in the areas that it has and who knows, you may just want to try again and be a completely different person. You can be a communist this time. It's just a secret between you and your achievements.

Have a happy last day of the 2010's, and here's to a healthy happy 2020's. I admit that I wanted to try a list of bad games for a while, but as a facetious thing during March leading up to April Fools, but I'm a coward so I did that sort of thing here. I hope you enjoyed this whole mess as I hope to be here for the foreseeable future whether you all like it or not. :p

Happy New Year!!

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:09 am

The Nicene Creed is still used, in fact.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”