YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

Moderator: X-3

User avatar
Marilink
Supermod
Posts: 43563
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:00 am
Location: avatar credit @SkyeRoxy_ on Twitter
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#1

Post by Marilink » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:40 am

I’m a little bit late to the yearly reflection stuff, but there’s still a New Year’s window to work with.

This isn’t the Top 10 games that came out in 2019. These are the Top 10 games that you want to put in a Top 10 list. Or more than one! Top Ten games that you played, Top 10 released in 2019, Top Ten deck building games you played this year, Top Ten tabletop games you discovered. Whatever list (or lists) you want to make!

I’m on my phone right now, but I’ll contribute my own lists when I get the chance later!

User avatar
Marilink
Supermod
Posts: 43563
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:00 am
Location: avatar credit @SkyeRoxy_ on Twitter
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#2

Post by Marilink » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:48 pm

TOP TEN 2019 GAMES I PLAYED

10. Untitled Goose Game
This game was delightful and a joy to experience. That said, it wasn't necessarily a joy to actually play. I love everything about this game except for actually playing it. Very glad it exists, though. I had a great time playing this game for @smol Kat and my sister earlier this fall, and that's a great memory I'l lalways associate with this game.

9. Pokemon Sword
I had a hard time ranking this game because, well, it's Just Pokemon. And I absolutely love Just Pokemon. But I think Generation 8 should be more than Just Pokemon. There were some strides made to advance the series, but this game could have, and should have, been more.

8. Baba is You
This is another game that I love the idea of more than I love playing. No game has made me feel stupider than this one. Then again, this game also makes me feel, occasionally, like a genius. It's an excellent puzzle game and I think it's one of the most purely creative games I've ever played.

7. Cadence of Hyrule: The Legend of Zelda Meets Crypt of the NecroDancer
Apparently, 2019 is the Year of Games I'm So Glad Exist. The fact that Nintendo handed the Keys to the Kingdom over to the NecroDancer team is so great, and I hope it's precedent-setting. The game was short and sweet, but for me this year that was a positive point. I played through the entire game as Zelda, because why wouldn't I? Oh and the soundtrack was a banger.

6. Tetris 99
Tetris. Battle. Royale. 2019 was also the Year of Tetris for me, as I played both Tetris Effect and Tetris 99--two games that couldn't be more similar and yet couldn't be more different. I played a lot of Tetris 99 in the front half of the year. A great memory of this game was winning a match for an audience while playing on @S1x's account at the VGF Meetup. He was gracious enough to let me play on his account, and I was so happy I could win for Tetris Senpai.

5. Super Mario Maker 2
This is another game I had a hard time ranking, because I thoroughly enjoyed it and found some truly amazing levels to play. However, it didn't hit me the same way that SMM1 did. Apparently, I'm not alone. What was this game missing that 1 had? I can't put my finger on it. But either way, I still pop in regularly to see my favorite creators' levels, including my brother who plays this game nearly every day and makes great stuff. I haven't played since the Zelda DLC, but I'd like to. This game still sold well, so I'm still hopeful for more in this vein from Nintendo. My stupid, hopeful wish is for Zelda Maker in the future.

4. Luigi's Mansion 3
This game and Link's Awakening will always be very special to me because they represent the beginning of my daughter's journey with video games. She enjoyed Link's Awakening, but she loves Luigi's Mansion 3. I probably would have put the game down without collecting everything, but she just wanted me to keep playing, so I did. She pretends to be Luigi now, and occasionally has nightmares about King Boo. (Whoops.) This game oozes as much charm as Gooigi oozes whatever the heck he's made of. It's a great blend of LM1 and LM2. It's a joy to play.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
I love the offbeat entries in the Zelda series. Majora's Mask is my favorite game and in my general all-time Top 5. Zelda 2 is an underrated and strange gem that I love. Then Link's Awakening is my second-favorite entry in the series and a huge part of my childhood. To see this game remade made my heart very happy, and playing it completed my joy. This remake is intensely faithful--perhaps to a fault, at times. The art style was super cute and the musical re-arrangements ranged from good to great to utterly brilliant. I beat this game and then immediately beat it again on Hero Mode. Once again, another game in 2019 I'm just glad exists at all.

2. Fire Emblem: Three Houses
I almost didn't buy this game at all. I didn't think I had time for a 60-hour game in this crazy and busy year. But within the first few days of reactions on my Twitter timeline, I knew I had to get it. Turns out I was able to play a lot more of this game than I anticipated, and I didn't even neglect my family or ministry to do so. Over the course of two months I played both Black Eagles and Golden Deer. The biggest problem with FE3H is that you really don't get the full extent of what this game offers unless you play more than one story route, and I think that's a little unfair to the average player. For instance, I think @I am nobody could play another House and significantly increase his enjoyment of the game as a whole, but I cannot in good conscience actually say he should do that. Yet, at the same time, this thing I label as a fault also serves to create an amazing community around the game that all came away with unique individual experiences and stories, then came together to discuss the game and piece the different story pieces together. The last thing I'll say is that the actual tactics of this game aren't all that gripping, but they serve as a great impetus for propelling the game's true strength: its characters.

1. Trials of Mana
It may be cheating to list this game as being released in 2019, but that's part of the reason I marvel at this game in general. Seiken Densetsu 3 was a Japan-only release that introduced me to the world of emulation and Japan-only games. I devoured SD3 as a 9-year-old discovering ZSNES and the wonders of the Internet. It became one of my favorite games, just after Chrono Trigger. I had basically given up all hope of SD3 ever getting localized. It wasn't even on my radar, as I didn't think the Mana series was really at the forefront of Square's mind in any way. I assumed they had just forgotten about it, and honestly, I didn't mind. I still had the ROM and I could always just replay it. In fact, I just replayed it in 2016-17! But then, all of a sudden, Collection of Mana gets announced out of nowhere, and the newly-named Trials of Mana announced with it. I was brought to literal tears. When the game released, I played through it 3 times back-to-back-to-back, experiencing each major story and all six characters in varying combinations. This game is still everything I loved when I first experienced it around 2002. And it was released in 2019, so here it is. My #1 game of 2019 was already my #2 game of all time--and it's my list so I can do that!

User avatar
Marilink
Supermod
Posts: 43563
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:00 am
Location: avatar credit @SkyeRoxy_ on Twitter
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#3

Post by Marilink » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:26 pm

2019 DLC Campaigns I Want to Talk About

Celeste - Farewell DLC
Celeste was my GOTY last year, and it has solidified its place in my Top 10 Games list. It is some of the best platforming I've ever experienced, and a shockingly heartfelt and complete story that is told in a way that only video games can tell. And you know what? The DLC delivered exactly that. The levels added were difficult and fun, making speedrun mechanics into core mechanics and teaching you very well how to pull them off. That would have been enough, but then they had to go and make another emotionally affecting story! It surprised and impacted me as much as the base game's story, and I somehow still didn't see it coming. This DLC just cemented this game in my personal gaming pantheon.

Shovel Knight: King of Cards
I almost put this in my 2019 Games list above, because it really is its own complete game. However, it's billed as the DLC continuation of Shovel Knight. It's amazing to me that they released this for free to those who already purchased Shovel Knight, because this game is so good and I feel like it somehow deserves more. King Knight's movement is unlike any other platformer I've ever played, and they design around it so well. I've seen some people recently complaining about Shovel Knight's levels being too long, and this DLC addresses that complaint by making each zone into 3 different levels. Not only does this make the levels shorter and easier to manage, but it also gives them an excuse to use all of the amazing music composed by Jake Kaufman for the whole series. This game also has a deck builder and card game that I'm very bad at but thoroughly enjoyed. I'm so excited to see what Yacht Club does next, and I'll be there with them on launch day.

Top 10 Games I Played In 2019 but they Weren't Released in 2019
10. Duck Game
This game isn't that good.

9. Secret of Mana
a game that I revisited with Collection of Mana and discovered, again, that I don't think this game is particularly good. You could complain Trials of Mana hasn't aged well, but if that's the case, then SoM has aged like Greek Yogurt.


8. Bastion
I've owned this game from a Humble Bundle for a long time, and I finally got around to playing it. I should have played it earlier, because the novelty of the game has kinda worn off by 2019. It's OK. Didn't grab me.

7. Kirby's Dream Land 3
This game became the template for the Kirby Series going forward. I wish Kirby's Adventure had been the template instead. This game isn't bad, but it's mostly just fine.

6. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
This is the best casual Smash game to date. Unfortunately, that means that the omissions are even more glaring. Where's Break the Targets? Board the Platforms? Event Matches? And why is World of Light mode so, so bad?

5. Donkey Kong Country 3
This game is great and doesn't get its due. Each level is totally unique, and they're all great.

4. Diddy Kong Racing
The best Kart Racer on the Nintendo 64, and I won't be taking any questions at this time.

3. Tetris Effect
If I weren't a sincerely religious man, I'd describe this game as a religious experience. I bought this game despite not owning a PS4 just so I could play it on my friend's hardware. Best gaming decision I've made in a long time.

2. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
Three fantastic games all in one. Some of the best platformers ever made. I've said what I have to say about this series many times in many places. Suffice to say: I love it.

1. Super Mario World
This year on the Switch I re-played the best Mario game in existence. Of course it's #1 on this list, because there's no way it wouldn't be.

Games I bought in 2019 and haven't played yet
Gris
I bought this on a friend's recommendation because it was on sale for like $3. I'm not even sure what it is, but my friend adores it and I trust her judgment on these things. I look forward to going into it blind.

Return of the Obra Dinn
I meant to get to get into this after Fire Emblem, but then I ended up playing Fire Emblem all the way through to the release of Link's Awakening. Whoops. I'll get to it.

Axiom Verge
I should probably play this before 2 comes out.

Hollow Knight
I have no excuse not to have played this yet.

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 13388
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 213 times

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#4

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:38 pm

Not trying to dig up the 3H debate again, so as long as I'm tagged I'll just say I think we have a pretty fundamental disagreement about the quality of that game. I'm glad you liked it, but I really don't think a more competent story alone would change my opinion much unless what'd otherwise by a top 5 plot is somehow hiding in there.

Anyway, I'm not ready yet because too much came out this year. Hoping to be at a place where I'm confident in my 10 in a few weeks, because that's about all I've got before I'm drowning in 2020 stuff as well. >_>

User avatar
DarkZero
Posts: 34753
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:15 pm
Has thanked: 291 times
Been thanked: 726 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#5

Post by DarkZero » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:47 pm

Top 10 Games That Made My 2019

Not necessarily ones that came out in 2019, or even ones I haven't played before, just games I played in 2019 that I really loved for whatever reason.

10. Untitled Goose Game

It's a game where you play as a mischievous little goose and wreak mild havoc in the (presumably English) town. The atmosphere is really nice, all the interactions the characters have with you and other humans are amusing, and I actually really love the end of the game and how it was foreshadowed at the VERY beginning. It's a pretty short game, but it does have some replay value and I liked trying to get all the extra achievements that I could.

9. Luigi's Mansion 3

This one is only so low because I just started playing a week ago and I'm still only about halfway through it, but I love the presentation so much. The game oozes charm, and the mechanics call back to my original Luigi's Mansion nostalgia while the new mechanics are really fun and fit in perfectly.

8. Yooka-Laylee

I can't deny this game is a bit rough around the edges in some places, but I highly disagree with anyone who says it's "terrible". I had a lot of fun with it, and I always adore sprawling exploratory platformers with a lot of personality in the level design. It feels kinda like a remastered version of a lost N64 platformer, which is kinda what I wanted in the first place. I do wish it had its own identity a little more instead of trying to mimic Banjo-Kazooie even where it doesn't work, but that's minor in the long run.

7. Super Mario Maker 2

This one was a bit of an impulse buy for me. I wasn't planning on getting it but I saw how much fun everyone was having so I caved. I really like a lot of the new additions to the formula, like the Story Mode and unlocking Mii clothes through achievements (though I wish some of them were a bit less time-consuming). Unfortunately I kinda dropped the game after a month or two. I kinda got my Mario Maker fill with the first one.

6. Splatoon 2

Spla2n is one of those rare shooters that doesn't give me anxiety and I like it for that. My only other experience with a shooter on Switch is Fortnite, which feels more like a survival horror for me since you don't respawn when killed, so I just spend my time hiding. With Splatoon, I feel like I can take a bit more of an aggressive stance when I need to, but also be rewarded for hanging back and safely covering turf. Also it's fun to dress up your Inkling and the pseudo-90s-Nickelodeon presentation is fantastic.

5. Sonic Mania

I've played Sonic Mania a few times before but about a month or so ago I got back into it, and it made me remember how fun Sonic games are. I got all Chaos Emeralds for all 5 characters (plus a Sonic + Tails file), and finally beat all the Blue Sphere stages, which I don't even particularly enjoy but I just liked the game that much.

4. Thimbleweed Park

Thimbleweed Park is a point-and-click adventure from the people who made games like Monkey Island, and more importantly, Maniac Mansion. Anyone who knows me knows I love Maniac Mansion for the NES, and playing this game on Switch with a Pro Controller felt very natural for me (also, two analog sticks makes for much better control than one dpad). This is another game with a LOT of atmosphere, very moody and mysterious through the whole game, and genuinely unnerving at some points. It actually takes place in the Maniac Mansion universe, because it features two characters from that game in a fairly significant role, as well as references to other characters and events from Maniac Mansion. Speaking of references, this game has something every Kickstarter revival game needs: an in-joke toggle! You can turn off all those out-of-place references to past LucasArts games if you want (though I actually kept it on because I actually enjoyed those references for once).

3. Tony Hawk's Underground 2

Specifically the Classic Mode, which I played a LOT this year. I originally got back into the game because I accidentally deleted my 100% save file and had to rebuild it, but I stuck around because Classic Mode is really fun to memorize all the collectible locations and route the fastest way to get them all. There's a reason it's such a popular speed game. I also found that one Classic Mode run would take me about the average run time of one podcast, so I played this in the background a lot while listening to my favorite shows.


2. Super Puyo Puyo 2

My absolute favorite of the SNES app, despite not understanding Japanese. When I first started playing, I was totally rusty and not even good enough to beat most of the CPUs. But over time I relearned how Puyo works and now I think I'm pretty decent at it and can consistently beat the arcade mode. This is another game I play while listening to podcasts since I can space out while I play (of course the in-game music is also great to listen to).

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I'd say most of my enjoyment and awe with this game were in the first month it came out in 2018, but I definitely played it a LOT in 2019 too. I'd say more about it but I'm tired of typing.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

User avatar
Marilink
Supermod
Posts: 43563
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:00 am
Location: avatar credit @SkyeRoxy_ on Twitter
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#6

Post by Marilink » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:09 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:38 pm
Not trying to dig up the 3H debate again, so as long as I'm tagged I'll just say I think we have a pretty fundamental disagreement about the quality of that game. I'm glad you liked it, but I really don't think a more competent story alone would change my opinion much unless what'd otherwise by a top 5 plot is somehow hiding in there.

Anyway, I'm not ready yet because too much came out this year. Hoping to be at a place where I'm confident in my 10 in a few weeks, because that's about all I've got before I'm drowning in 2020 stuff as well. >_>
You’re not digging anything up, I tagged you directly. :P I just wanted to say again that the game is best when it’s viewed from multiple angles, but also that I don’t blame you, or anyone, whatsoever for both 1. Valuing your time and playing through one story only, and 2. Not enjoying what you saw or experienced.

User avatar
Calamity Panfan
Moderator
Posts: 33942
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:00 am
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#7

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:06 pm

Top 10 2019 Games I Played in 2019
10. Pokemon Sword
9. Mortal Kombat 11
8. Baba Is You
7. Cadence of Hyrule
6. Ape Out
5. Untitled Goose Game
4. What the Golf?
3. Risk of Rain 2
2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
1. Tetris 99

Top 10 Non-2019 Games I Played A Significant Amount Of In 2019
10. NBA 2K19
9. Katamari Rerolled
8. Jackbox Party Pack 1-5
7. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
6. Gunstar Super Heroes
5. Super Puyo Puyo 2
4. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
3. Celeste
2. Tetris Effect
1. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

10 2019 Games I Did Not Get To In 2019 But Want To Play
Control
Disco Elysium
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Judgment
Kingdom Hearts III
Later Alligator
Luigi's Mansion 3
The Outer Worlds
Sayonara Wild Hearts
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2020
10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
9. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
7. Doom Eternal
6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
2. The Last of Us 2
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons

User avatar
Marilink
Supermod
Posts: 43563
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:00 am
Location: avatar credit @SkyeRoxy_ on Twitter
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#8

Post by Marilink » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Calamity Panfan wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:06 pm
Top 10 Most Anticipated Games of 2020
10. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
9. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
8. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
7. Doom Eternal
6. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
3. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
2. The Last of Us 2
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
this is correct, except I think your 7 and 2 should be Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Animal Crossing: New Horizons

User avatar
Calamity Panfan
Moderator
Posts: 33942
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:00 am
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#9

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:29 pm

no those games are gonna suck

User avatar
CaptHayfever
Supermod
Posts: 38128
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:00 am
Location: (n) - the place where I am
Has thanked: 593 times
Been thanked: 164 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#10

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:13 am

Marilink wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:26 pm
Event Matches?
The Spirit Board is, for all intents & purposes, the Event matches. (In fact, I said as much in the most recent Other Thing of the Month.) Agreed on Targets/Platforms, though.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 29819
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Has thanked: 1807 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#11

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:55 am

Been fiddling with the SNES' library of games. There's a lot of good stuff I missed, especially in Japanese that I won't be able to play without a guide or translation. So here's something about that, I guess:

Top Ten SNES Games I Played For the First Time:

10. Kendo Rage
9. Hagane
8. Majuu Ou
7. Hammerin' Harry
6. Skyblazer
5. The Ninja Warriors
4. Ghost Sweeper Mikami
3. Congo's Caper
2. Run Saber
1. Doremi Fantasy

These were all worth a play, but Doremi Fantasy stands out. It is really a great game that's hidden behind Japanese. Not being able to follow the story without a guide hurts the experience, but it still deserves a play. I haven't beaten it but it's good so far. Nitpicks would be the music is too forgettable and the art for cutscenes is not appealing, otherwise it's actually one of the best SNES platformers.

The rest can be summed up as "too hard and/or need English" except Ninja Warriors, which would benefit from multiplayer. Oh, and Run Saber, aside from being a bit clunky and cheap it's probably the biggest surprise because it just doesn't have any glaring issues at all but isn't popular in the least (I'd never even heard of it).
Last edited by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! on Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Marilink
Supermod
Posts: 43563
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:00 am
Location: avatar credit @SkyeRoxy_ on Twitter
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#12

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:56 am

CaptHayfever wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:13 am
Marilink wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:26 pm
Event Matches?
The Spirit Board is, for all intents & purposes, the Event matches. (In fact, I said as much in the most recent Other Thing of the Month.) Agreed on Targets/Platforms, though.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"
I’d never thought about it that way until your Other Thing thread, but the more I consider it the more I see your point. Spirits in general don’t really do it for me, though, so I’m less inclined to mess around with that mode.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 29819
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Has thanked: 1807 times
Been thanked: 140 times

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#13

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:10 am

The only cool thing about spirits is they included so many of them that there's characters represented who may not have been at all had only the trophy mode been included. I still vastly prefer trophies due to them being more intricately designed and sprinkled with neat tidbits about the characters, but I think I appreciate spirits more than I used to.

I will always miss the target/platform and trophies though.

User avatar
Calamity Panfan
Moderator
Posts: 33942
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:00 am
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#14

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:01 pm

not to completely derail this into smash chat but i like the spirits way more in theory than execution. i think the creativity in how they go "ok how do we make this individual character from our existing assets" is cool and interesting but the act of going and fighting them all is just no fun

User avatar
CaptHayfever
Supermod
Posts: 38128
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:00 am
Location: (n) - the place where I am
Has thanked: 593 times
Been thanked: 164 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#15

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:16 pm

^Yeah, from a design perspective, I very much enjoy going "oh, I see what you did there." It's extremely clever. Too bad actually winning the fights usually boils down to choosing the right "party" build to cancel it out to avoid just getting completely bodied (& then, if it's a Legend-class, just getting completely bodied anyway because handicaps).

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

User avatar
Apollo the Just
Moderator
Posts: 15678
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:37 pm
Location: Piccolo is Gohan's Real Dad
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 570 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#16

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:02 pm

Top 10 Ways I Lost a ToS Speedrun Attempt in 2019:

10. The Ymir Skip slug no-showing (this gets #10 because it happens all the time and I hate this slug too much to give it higher placement)

9. One of the stupid energy thingies in the Kvar fight not getting in the Origin summon despite doing the setup completely correctly and therefore losing 30 seconds to pure bad luck

8. Genis being a butt and losing 5 seconds on each of the randomizer scrub fights leading up to Vidarr, only to magically whip out an instant Meteor Storm on Vidarr, failing Kratos Skip and basically just being the worst. This happens more than you would hope it does.

7. Ascended the Tower of Mana in its entirety to fight Luna and Aska before realizing that I totally forgot to go to the Linkite Tree first and get Aska

6. Thought I stole 3 penguinist quills. Did not, in fact, steal 3 penguinist quills

5. Didn't buy Regal's toy weapon in rebuilt Luin. Specifically, I had scrolled to his weapon, but didn't press X to increase the counter before buying. Literally bought everyone's weapons except his. Also he is the most important character for that segment of the run. So like, RIP

4. Speaking of rebuilding Luin, there was the other time I just accidentally threw a digit too much money at Pietro and ran out of money and couldn't buy the toy weapons at all

3. Forgot to go to Flanoir after the dramatic scene at Altessa's place. At this point we are literally past Ymir Skip, worst part of the run, and I just yoloed on over to the Tower of Salvation and by the time I realized I had forgotten to take a romantic stroll with my pal Regal the run was dead

2. That time I LITERALLY GOT YMIR SKIP, but flubbed the follow-up and got warped back. You have no idea. You don't understand. After months of failing, I actually nailed the skip, but I derped a bit and got stuck on the guy and so it resulted in a fail anyway. I will never recover from that honestly.

1. Accidentally talked to the Wonder Chef in Mizuho. Got a ramen recipe. Lost 20 seconds and, later, a run

User avatar
Calamity Panfan
Moderator
Posts: 33942
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:00 am
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live
Has thanked: 107 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#17

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:09 pm

but did you make the ramen

User avatar
Marilink
Supermod
Posts: 43563
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:00 am
Location: avatar credit @SkyeRoxy_ on Twitter
Has thanked: 341 times
Been thanked: 689 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#18

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:11 pm

yeah how was the ramen

User avatar
Apollo the Just
Moderator
Posts: 15678
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:37 pm
Location: Piccolo is Gohan's Real Dad
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 570 times
Contact:

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#19

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:12 pm

sorry ramen sucks the only recipe worth my time is meat stew

User avatar
smol Kat
Posts: 10894
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:22 pm
Location: a s s i m i l a t e
Has thanked: 611 times
Been thanked: 286 times

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

#20

Post by smol Kat » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:26 pm

I kind of want to do this but I can really only list tabletop games and possibly life events, most of which you guys know already. Not sure I could get to ten tabletop games I first played last year. I can sure try though!! But not while I'm at magfest. :)
looking up into pure sunlight

Post Reply

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”