YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

Moderator: X-3

Marilink
Supermod

Re: YOUR Top Ten(s) of YOUR 2019

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:49 pm

^Doesnt have to be 10!

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:15 pm

Real most anticipated games list.

10. Trials of Mana - I'm gonna pretend that the Secret of Mana remake that people didn't like never came out!!
9. Final Fantasy VII - It looks and sounds gorgeous from what we've seen but the fact it seems that this might not even make it past Midgar in the story?
8. Psychonauts 2 - I've heard the gameplay in demos is just like the original, and that makes me skeptical, because I'm not sure how well that platforming holds up. Still, this should have enough charm for me to go through some dated gameplay.
7. Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing In Disguise - This is one I'm probably going to just watch people play through so I can see the wacky SWERY s***, but I'm very excited to watch some wacky SWERY s***
6. Watchdogs Legion - I'm still skeptical on how they really make the storyline move with the gameplay style of going person-to-person, but I'm intrigued.
5. Doom Eternal - I'm extremely bad at shooters, especially twitchy shooters. But I love everything about the last Doom game, so I'm excited to see this one, even if it just ends up being me watching other people play it.
4. Cyberpunk 2077 - I've never played The Witcher games so I'm not sure what to expect from ProjectCD but this looks super cool. Keanu!
3. Sports Story - Golf Story is wonderful and I'm very ready for more of that.
2. The Last of Us 2 - I thought the original was damn-near perfect as a single entity but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for where they go with the franchise from here.
1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - I can't think of the last time I was this excited for a game coming out. Probably Guitar Hero III. And people with good memories on this site might remember how amped I was for Guitar Hero III.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:01 pm

Top 10 Numbers of 2019

10.) 1
9.) 10
8.) 9
7.) 6
6.) 3
5.) 2
4.) 4
3.) 5
2.) 7
1.) 8

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:06 pm

8? more like over8ed

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:35 pm

I heard that it wasn't a great year for 8 actually

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:03 pm

I'll take a stab at most anticipated as well, because why not. Half of these games usually end up being bad, and everything is #5 because not reading previews makes it hard to anticipate one thing much more than another.

5. Cyberpunk 2077 - Panfan should play The Witcher 3 and maybe 2. But not the first one because it's bad. Hopefully CDPR doesn't make a game like that again.
5. Final Fantasy VII - I don't like the original because it hurts my eyes, the combat is miserable, and GameFAQs told a younger me it could raise the dead. The remake seems to fix the first two problems, and I don't live next to a graveyard anymore.
5. The Last of Us 2 - I was wrong about TLoU and it's actually really good, but one sequence is better than the others and this is technically just that for the whole game. Hopefully it's also actually just that for the whole game.
5. Mineko's Night Market - It looks like Night in the Woods by way of Recettear by way of Stardew Valley, which would be amazing. But it's also been coming next year for like three years, so who knows.
5. Crusader Kings III - CKII with more roleplaying? What could go wrong? They could make Imperator: Rome again, for one thing. Hope they don't do that!
5. Imposter Factory - To The Moon was amazing. A Bird Story apparently wasn't and nobody played it. Finding Paradise was amazing. Pattern recognition suggests this won't be amazing and nobody will play it. Extrapolating from three never fails.
5. Hades - Technically already out, but I can't fathom why anyone would want to play a Supergiant game in Early Access, so I haven't bought it.
5. Ghosts of Tsushima - Open world samurai nonsense should be fun as long as it's not like Infamous 2. Tried that recently and did not like it.
5. Humankind - Amplitude has been making progressively cooler takes on Civ-style 4X, and now they're taking on Civ directly. Hopefully this does not end up like every other game that's tried to do that.
5. Microsoft Flight Simulator - Never played any of these before, but flying around Earth seems pretty cool. Also seems hard to mess up, so probably not one of the 5 that'll be bad?

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:43 pm

Top 10 highest mountains of 2019:
1) Everest
2) K2
3) Kangchenjunga
4) Lhotse
5) Makalu
6) Cho Oyu
7) Dhaulagiri I
8) Manaslu
9) Nanga Parbat
10) Annapurna I

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:47 pm

Top 10 books I read in 2019:

10. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens
9. Educated by Tara Westover
8. Radium Girls by Kate Moore
7. We Are Never Meeting in Real Life by Samantha Irby
6. Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
5. Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann
4. Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman
3. Scythe by Neal Shusterman
2. Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
1. Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Top ten games I played in 2019 (no particular order):
Dragon Quest XI
Obra Dinn
Goose Game
Sword and Shield
Disco Elysium
Man of Medan
Ape Out
Tetris 99
Nidhogg
Snakeybus

Top Ten TV shows (no particular order)
Witcher
The Boys
Shameless
Watchmen
You
Fleabag
Russian Doll
Mandalorian
LetterKenny
Chernobyl
Honorable mentions:
Big Mouth
Sex Education
Barry
Tuca and Bertie
I Think You Should Leave
Castle Rock

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:41 pm

Top 10 movies:
1. The Irishman (Scorsese) - Honestly I never felt the length. Pesci, De Niro and especially Pacino are all so fantastic in this movie. I'll take this over most of Scorsese's later works except maybe Wolf of Wall Street (still need to see Silence which I hear is fantastic)
2. Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Tarantino) - I need to revisit this one more but the longer I've thought about it, the more I think this might be one of my top Tarantino movies. The only thing that holds this down for me is the Bruce Lee caricature.
3. Homecoming (Knowles-Carter) - Maybe the best concert film since Stop Making Sense?
4. John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski) - Honestly the weakest in the franchise but still an absolute hoot
5. Us (Peele) - I don't think this is as strong of an overall package as Get Out but it's still pretty damn stunning.
6. Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story (Scorsese) - Very good kinda sorta documentary about an interesting time in Dylan's career. Was incredible to watch while f***ed up.
7. The Beach Bum (Korrine) - Some of the most inspired casting decisions and absolute funniest moments in any movie this year.
8. Knives Out (Johnson) - The dialogue is too on-the-nose and I don't know if I like how it handles some of the stuff with the immigrant family as a plot point but overall this is a quality whodunit.
9. High Flying Bird (Soderbergh) - Probably not even close to top 10 Soderbergh but still an extremely worthwhile sports drama that got dropped on Netflix. Also, the "shot entirely on an iPhone" gimmick has been done a few times already (including by Soderbergh already), but it never fails to impress me.
10. Dolemite Is My Name (Brewer) - This is the movie I wanted The Disaster Artist to be. A tribute to a cult movie hero that has heart and doesn't just rely on new actors replaying corny scenes for laughs (though in fairness, Rudy Ray Moore seems way easier to make sympathetic than Tommy Wiseau).
Best Worst Movies: Cats (Hooper), The Fanatic (Durst)

Still have to see Midsommar, Uncut Gems, Booksmart, Marriage Story, Little Women, Ready or Not, Ad Astra and The Lighthouse
Last edited by Calamity Panfan on Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:34 pm

Only gaming thing I cared about in 2019 was getting my Awesomeness to Level 11 again in 'Rayman Legends'.

No, wait, that paled in significance next to playing NSMB with Riv and Maxy. We died lots, and lots and lots, and Roy beat us, the lousy fink. We're going to try again next summer. And I'm going to show them 'Nuts and Bolts' (they love Legos), and 'Viva Pinata', and Riv wants to try out 'Dark Souls'. I'm getting hyped just thinking about it.
boo---------------that afeared skull-faced enemy

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:46 pm

Top board games I played this year:
Fog of Love
Aeon’s End
Dice Throne
Res Arcana
Quacks of Quedlinburg
Tiny Towns
Crystal Clans
Clank!
Gloomhaven
Arkham Horror

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:05 pm

man, I wish my friends liked tabletop games

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:49 pm

Marilink wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:05 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again... we're your friends! :D
looking up into pure sunlight

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:59 pm

MAKE your friends like tabletop games
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:11 pm

Abandon the path of friendship and give into the darkness, it'll make your rolls stronger.

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 pm

Marilink wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:05 pm
You’re welcome any time. :)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:48 pm

haha, I appreciate it guys

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:01 pm

Srsly tho any time you want to plan another meetup, mini or otherwise, let me know!
looking up into pure sunlight

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:25 pm

Top 10 Games I played in 2019 that aren't Tales of Symphonia:

10. Dragons: Rise of Berk

I have had this game installed on my phone since before the 2nd movie came out and have experienced all of the subsequent updates. I have never played it religiously, never spent any real money on it, and haven't actually done all of the new **** they've since implemented. I just like looking at my cute baby dragons and watching the cute adult dragons go fishing. It has definitely gotten significantly more predatory and gacha-y an annoying since it first came out, though. You pretty much never get an egg when you go out if you don't shell out runes anymore. Luckily I already have a scaldron and that is all I need to be happy.

9. Some Bad Quidditch Game for GameCube

This game is awful, but I had a great time playing it with the gf when she visited. It isn't necessarily the devs' fault that quidditch is broken as **** and literally just comes down to who catches the snitch, but the way they implement things does not help balance this. There is a ~combo~ mechanic that as far as we can tell acts exactly the same as just doing regular passes, except it doesn't increase your counter toward The Snitch. Also, yeah, the counter toward The Snitch is basically a bar that lets you go faster when you race for the snitch - which means bigger bar, you automatically win unless you're playing against someone who is dead. Your bar gets bigger every time you... pass a ball. So the optimal strat is to just spam passes until the snitch counter is reached and you just hold A and win.

great game

(In fairness, it was kind of cool that they included the super minor book exclusive characters on the teams, and had the world cup teams as well. Unfortunately, the game is awful.)

8. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

This game is also awful but I also love it and I have talked about it at length elsewhere so I'll leave this as is.

7. Untitled Goose Game

I actually bought a download code for this as a Christmas present for somebody else, but turns out they already had it, so I just downloaded it. The controls aren't the greatest but GOD is it fun and charming. I'm having a blast just seeing all the different ways I can mess around with people. I've already seen several people play through it so I'm trying to experiment with different ways to get the achievements, and so far it's been quite fun seeing how different people approach it vs how I do.

honk honk honk <3

6. Luigi's Mansion 3

This would probably be higher if I had played more of it - I don't actually own this, just played it on my friend's Switch. It's honestly a super endearing game, really fun, hilarious and charming, and just... I never expected LM of all things to get franchised but it's what Luigi deserves. I do kind of miss the spooky tone in the first installment (that graveyard out back is legitimately haunting... like it is as realistically rendered as the GameCube got, with eerie lighting, but the cartoony ghosts kind of lightened it enough for me to enjoy it as a kid. LM3 kind of just goes full-on halloweeny cartoony and doesn't really try to be truly eerie at all.)

It is really fun and really charming. If a LM4 ever comes out and decides to be a bit spookier, I'll be the happiest person alive.

5. Pokemon X

I picked this back up because I got a bit nostalgic about the era when it first came out, that got me back into Pokemon. The 8-directional movement was very jarring just because i haven't played a game with it in such a long time, but diagonal movement was LITERALLY GROUNDBREAKING at the time, as was sitting down, petting your pokemon, having 3-D models... all of that. X/Y was a huge and somewhat awkward leap that is underrated in retrospect because subsequent installments have not attempted such large strides to continue improving, IMO. (ORAS still best tho)

4. Ultimate Chicken Horse

This is honestly the best couch multiplayer game I have ever played in my life and I think everyone ever should play it. It is so much **** fun. We played hours of this on Christmas and had an absolute blast.

3. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

This is cheating a bit because I literally only opened it for like 3 seconds because I got a bit nostalgic for its aesthetics, but god this game is legitimately so much more incredible than it has any right to be. It has better art and musical direction than any installment in either main series and its mechanics laid the groundwork for the DGS spinoff series in AA which is better than the main series, fight me. I love this game so much.

2. Sonic Forces

I **** love this video game, it is so much fun and the aesthetics are exactly what I wanted, it's both taking itself too seriously as well as just really fun and ridiculous and god it's perfect. Still haven't beaten my old Imperial Tower IL PB though.

1. Tales of the Abyss 3D

It's unfortunate that the resolution and framerate suffer from being ported to a hand-held, but everything else about this port is great. It's largely an identical game, BUT we have the added bonus of improved load times (the speedrun is over an hour faster from that alone), as well as the bottom screen dedicated to the map which is just a great QOL improvement and I think more games should've made use of that kind of thing on the DS/3DS/WiiU. Some hitboxes got made a bit wonky too but that's actually for the best because it means I can cheese some fights even harder than before. The FoS system is incredibly fun and interesting, and it is what makes Abyss have my favorite battle system in the Tales series. I love this game.

---

(you all have no idea how hard it was to come up with 10 games I am sure I played in 2019 that aren't ToS. i dont play video games that aren't ToS)

EDIT: just realized i played Danganronpa because I was trying to learn to speedrun it. Never followed through but had a blast anyway and intend to at some point - it's basically just getting really good at menuing and listening to the sickest aesthetics of all time. Would probably bop 4th if I had remembered it

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:58 pm

10 games I want announced/announced games that I want more information about in 2020:
10. A new Castlevania game - lol just kidding konami doesn't make video games
9. NCAA Football - This isn't going to happen for a few more years because of legal reasons but I really hope that
8. Another Nintendo/indies collab - Cadence of Hyrule was fantastic and I'd love to see more collaborations like this in the future
7. Elder Scrolls VI - we're probably waiting until holiday 2021 at the very least but considering Bethesda's recent output I'm very interested in seeing how this game c
6. A new Ratchet & Clank - Insomniac's been busy but I'd love to revisit the world soon, especially since there was only one game in the franchise this last gen
5. Street Fighter VI or something - nobody likes SFV let's move on now Capcom
4. A new wrestling game that doesn't suck, from anybody, please
3. Metroid Prime 4 - I'm extremely cautious about this game since the only real update since its announcement was that they scrapped it and started over. News would be nice
2. The new Zelda - Very curious to see how far along it is. Feel like it's most likely a holiday 2021 game but I'd love more info.
1. Another wild new spin on Tetris that surpasses any expectations about what a Tetris game can be - Let's make it three GOTYs in a row, baby

Top 10 TV shows I watched in 2019 (not necessarily from this year, though)
10. Whatever crime procedural that is airing a rerun on ION TV on when I'm hungover - I wouldn't be able to make it through the year without you
9. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - Not as strong this year as its peak from a comedy/musical standpoint but it ended perfectly.
8. The Good Place - Consistently astounded by how they manage to keep flipping the script
7. King of the Hill - Maybe the most rewatchable show of all time
6. GLOW - I don't think season 3 was as strong as the first two but it's still got so many good character moments and heart.
5. The Righteous Gemstones - The funniest new show of the year. I feel bad ranking it so low.
4. Barry - There are a lot of TV shows where people say that everybody in the cast should get an award but this is the most I've ever felt this. Incredible work from everyone in a show where the tone can do a complete 180 in a matter of seconds
3. Riverdale - It's the dumbest TV show ever and I love it
2. The Simpsons seasons 1-10 - The only reason I necessarily care about Disney+, even if it's in the wrong aspect ratio
1. The Sopranos - Finally watched through it and it completely lived up to the hype

Top 10 sandwich meats of 2019
10. salmon
9. hamburger
8. salami
7. fried chicken
6. pulled pork
5. roast beef
4. flank steak
3. pastrami
2. corned beef
1. capicola

congratulations to sandwiches on a great year, let's do it again in 2020