Review the last game you finished

Moderator: X-3

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Review the last game you finished

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:39 pm

To that, I never had a problem with the frame rate. Did I notice it drops sometimes? Yeah. Did it hinder my experience? Not in the slightest. I think the Digital Foundry report was a little harsh.

Besides, bigger games are selling for $60 with far worse performance issues than dropping a few frames when you step outside.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:43 pm

Yeah, the price is really not great. I'm normally one to defend short game prices if they're good enough, but with the added weight of it being a largely unmodified remake I just can't see any way to justify $60.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:53 pm

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was listed at $60. I haven't picked it up yet because I know I'm not going to play any other video games until I get #2 in ToS so I hadn't bothered looking yet.

I will probably still get it because it looks delightful and I really want to play it but that seems like a very steep price.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:16 pm

While the game is very faithful to the original, and I’m sorry to argue semantics, I think it may be a bridge to far to call it a largely unmodified remake. The visual and mechanical updates make a massive difference. A lot of love and care went into this game.

...but probably not $60 worth. But I would have spent $100 on this game because I’m a big dumb idiot, and Nintendo knows it has me and my ilk in their pockets.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:01 pm

It's a significant visual upgrade, sure, but compare it to the other big, full-price remakes we've seen lately. I think it's fair to call LA largely unmodified compared to something like Resident Evil 2 or Final Fantasy VII. This is more of a Spyro or Crash level remake, IMO, and while both of those were full price, they were also trilogies.

EDIT: Turns out they were both $40, not full price. That says a lot.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:09 pm

the SD3/Trials of Mana remake for Switch is pre-selling for $50 and it has overhauled gameplay in addition to completely newly rendered 3D graphics.. I think Nintendo just knows they can get away with charging top dollar for Zelda games, especially on Switch, because of the IP. It's unfortunate, because other than the price, I support absolutely everything else about this remake and it looks completely fantastic. I am so glad it exists. The pricing just feels a bit scummy : (
Last edited by Apollo the Just on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Yeah like I'm all about picking the game up, but not for $60
all the lessons learned will carry us through the unknown

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Apollo the Just wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:09 pm
the SD3/Trials of Mana remake for Switch is pre-selling for $50 and it has overhauled gameplay in addition to completely newly rendered 3D graphics.. I think Nintendo just knows they can get away with charging top dollar for Zelda games, especially on Switch, because of the IP. It's unfortunate, because other than the price, I support absolutely everything else about this remake and it looks completely fantastic. I am so glad it exists. The pricing just feels a bit scummy : (
I'm like 100% on board with you here. Like I said in my original post, it just really feels like Nintendo got away with one here.

...but honestly, I encourage everyone to still pick it up, because it is really really good.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:37 pm

Marilink wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:39 pm
To that, I never had a problem with the frame rate. Did I notice it drops sometimes? Yeah. Did it hinder my experience? Not in the slightest. I think the Digital Foundry report was a little harsh.

Besides, bigger games are selling for $60 with far worse performance issues than dropping a few frames when you step outside.
There's certainly worse performing games at full price, I'll beat the dead horse and name Bethesda. I was just mentioning it in addition to everything else, that taken as a whole the price just seems unjustified.

It's one of the better entries in the series though, so it can get away with it. I hope the Oracle games are next, maybe they can rework the cancelled 3rd one into a release too. That'd be amazing.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:40 pm

If the success of Link's Re-Awakening leads to an Oracles remake, I would just be so very happy.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:50 pm

^^ I was actually thinking the other day about if we magically got an Oracle of Secrets game out of this. Like, it is a far cry but LA seems to be doing really well so YOU NEVER KNOW??????

--

i guess i should bring us back to the topic at hand, huh. the last game i beat is still tales of symphonia. it's still great, but the collision is kind of garbage sometimes when you get stuck on random invisible pixels, so that's a bit frustrating

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:53 pm

Earthbound Beginnings & Star Fox 2 kind of give me hope it could happen. Those were probably the biggest surprise releases from Nintendo imo, but they're kinda different situations.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:56 pm

^throw Trials of Mana into that list as well, I cannot believe that game finally got a western release.

I'm not sure how far the development of Oracle of Secrets got, though. Star Fox 2 was never released on its original hardware, but the game was almost completely finished. I'm not sure the same can be said for the lost Oracle game.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:59 pm

i mean im not saying it is likely, merely maybe somewhat possible if you are really really really optimistic

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 pm

I think right now I'll just remain hopeful for an eventual OoA/S remake, and then if there's anything more than that, that's just gravy

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:02 pm

Yeah, it probably depends on how much there is beyond concept for it. If there's a full design document then a remake of the other games should be a decent opportunity to make the original vision of a trilogy a reality.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:55 am

i take back what i said earlier tales of symphonia is bad again

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:02 am

sorry aj but this thread is only for games that you finish
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:07 am

tos is still the last game ive finished..... i just havent finished it again in like 5 months

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:34 am

Finished a few over the last month or so.

Songbird Symphony
I might be biased because I just really like birds, but man what an adorable little game. It's basically a metroidvania-esque adventure game, all based around rhythm mechanics. The game itself is mostly environmental puzzles and exploration, in which you open up new areas using different musical notes you've learned. Here and there you'll run into encounters in which you'll face off against another character in a musical "boss battle" of sorts. None of the game is very difficult (you literally cannot get hurt, and you can't lose the boss fights no matter how many notes you miss), but it kinda fits with the lighthearted spirit of the game and I didn’t mind it at all. You do get a score for how well you played after every boss fight, so there's some challenge in redoing them and trying to get 100% (which admittedly is pretty dang hard).

The story is serviceable, pretty much just an orphaned bird trying to figure out where he belongs and making friends along the way, and singing songs. Very Disney-esque. It's a bit simple and predictable, but the whole experience is just so dang wholesome. I don't know, maybe I was just in a place where this was the kind of game I needed, but I was so enamored by all the memorable characters and the themes and emotional story… It all really stuck with me. If you just need an adorable feel-good game with good music, I’d really recommend it.

Gears 5
Ironically puts the “War” back in Gears, even though took it out of the title. Man, for everything Gears 4 dialed back on, they cranked way back up for this one. I always felt like Gears 4 was like a prologue to a story that didn’t go anywhere, but this one, in the first 10 minutes, already felt like a return to form with its huge setpieces and high stakes right out of the gate.

The story in this one was so much more investing than previous entries in that it actually has slower, more heavy moments to contrast the over the top bloody fun. Gears has always kinda been about the enemies you fight and the things you kill them with, but the fact that they’re actually taking moments to do some world building in terms of the people that inhabit this war-torn planet and how they’re affected, makes me much more intrigued. I really like the direction they’re taking things.

I also dig the new gameplay mechanics like more open ended exploration and upgrades to your robot companion. Made it feel more like an actual single-player adventure game with progression, and not just a tacked on shooter campaign.

If anything, I wish they did a bit more with Kait’s inner conflict and hallucinations. I always like that kind of thing in video games and thought it’d be a much bigger focus than it was.

Control
Almost immediately upon starting the story, I thought “this feels a LOT like SCP” (As in The SCP Foundation, a horror writing site). There's an organization that deals with eerie reality breaking horror stuff, cryptic documents you can find with blacked out redacted lines, and even talks of "containment breaches". So I looked it up and lo and behold, this game was actually heavily inspired by the SCP writings. That made me pretty dang excited right off the bat.

The gameplay feels great. You have a shapeshifting gun as your main weapon and telekinetic powers you acquire from different anomalous objects. The main telekinetic “launch” where you just grab objects from the environment and fling them at enemies never gets old. It almost reminds me of throwing Kratos’ axe in the newest God of War. It just feels right. The style of combat in which you use your gun in tandem with your telekinetic powers is really fun and unique. It almost reminded me of Bioshock Infinite in that all of your abilities start to become second nature and all work so well with each other that you don’t even think about all the different crazy maneuvers you’re doing. I do kind of wish the enemies had some more variety. In a universe inspired by SCP I expected some otherworldly creatures and such but it’s mostly just possessed guards, and maybe a few that levitate or explode.

Also I kinda wish the game was actually scary. It was definitely creepy and eerie but I didn’t get that feeling of dread and terror that I usually get from SCP. You know, like the [REDACTED] that the ████████ [DATA EXPUNGED]

Untitled Goose Game
HONK HONK AM GOOSE

It’s a stealth-based puzzle game in which you’re a goose and you go around inconveniencing humans. If that doesn’t sell you I don’t know what will. I guess I just wish it was longer. It’s a good 2-3 hours at most.

Later Alligator
A noir-style point and click mystery but everyone is alligators. The game is mostly an excuse to showcase the animation and writing talent, and I guess I don’t mind that cause it’s pretty dang funny (like, legit laugh out loud funny), and the animation is really well done and charming. Just don’t expect too much in terms of gameplay, there’s a bunch of mini games to break up the storytelling but they’re pretty hit or miss.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”