Review the last game you finished

Moderator: X-3

X-3

Re: Review the last game you finished

Post by X-3 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:24 pm

The Zero/ZX Legacy Collection came out, so I'm playing through them again. I'm posting the first half while they're still on my mind.

3.) Matt Daemon X Machina

In this game you build a giant robot and shoot a bunch of other robots. It's pretty shallow but it is fun. Zipping around in a giant robot is always fun, and I spent what seemed like an eternity just swapping parts in and out to make an Arsenal that was well-balanced and looked good. The plot had some potential but it squanders most of it in favor of really vague nonsense, and it's told pretty dryly. I wanted to buy this on the Switch, but performance issues and rumors of a PC version made me wait. And I'm glad I did, as the PC version runs like a dream. I guess that's expected since it was just a Switch game, but hey, you never know.

On a side note, you can't actually name yourself "Matt Daemon" due to character limits. You can name yourself "Mat Daemon" or "MattDaemon" but it's not quite the same.

4.) Mega Man Zero

The first game of the Zero series reminds me a lot of the original Mega Man: basic, unpolished and strangely experimental in several ways, but still a decent experience. IntiCreates absolutely nailed Zero's movement and the general 'feel' of his Z-Saber. The artystyle may actually be my favorite out of the quadrology: it feels rough, dirty and desolate up until you reach the technologically advanced haven of Neo Arcadia, which fits perfectly for the setting. You can freely move around and walk back to previous stages, which is honestly mostly pointless but still pretty neat. The fact that everything is so close helps underscore the idea that the Resistance has its back against the wall.

Of course, not everything can go well for a first-time around. Several levels get reused verbatim, and despite the game's reputation of being 'really hard', the level design in general is actually really simple. It definitely feels like they held back or had a limited budget. The biggest problem with Z1 is its weapon-leveling system: using a weapon more levels it up and gives you more skills. This system is simply overtuned in Z1: there are too many levels and it takes too long to go up a level compared to how short the stages and game are. This means that the Triple Rod and Shield Boomerang will get shelved by most players. Additionally, after the intro stage you get funneled into the Disposal Center stage, which ends with a battle with Aztec Falcon who bodies most players. As a result a common strategy is to just grind after the intro stage in order to get the Charged Saber Attack and overpower the fight.

All-in-all, Z1 is rough around the edges, but nowadays serves as a suitable prologue to its superior sequels.

5.) Mega Man Zero 2

Z2 is the first game but bigger and better. Not only are there more unique stages than before, they're also considerably more complex. The intro stage alone is probably more involved than most in the first game! The bosses have also (mostly) stepped up their game, and are quite fun to fight. Harpuia went from a chump with an easily-exploited AI loop to an absolute beast with one of the most dangerous EX Skills in the game. Speaking of which, this game introduces EX Skills, which function like Zero's Weapon Get skills in the X games. Their use here is more niche and in some cases more vanity, but their inclusion still adds a bit more depth to Zero's toolkit. You can earn Forms by completing hidden tasks in stages, and these Forms boost or change Zero's stats in several ways. In practice they mostly boil down to +damage and +speed and stuff, but Zero's color changes. When I was a kid I thought that was the coolest thing in the world, and today I still have a soft spot for that kind of thing. I like the purple of the Power Form but the blue of the X Form is pretty good too.

The weapon leveling system returns, but it's been toned down. It takes less time to level a weapon and there are less levels per weapon. Not only that, but after the intro you have four stages to choose from, circumventing the problem the first game had. This time around I did Phoenix Magnion first, and despite being known as one of the game's harder bosses I got through with a level 2 Buster and a level 1 Saber. With that considered, I have only one major issue with Z2: the Chain Rod. The Chain Rod functions like a grappling hook, but it's honestly not very fun to use. Additionally, there are several points in the game where its use is absolutely mandated (usually to get past a floor of spikes or a pit) which ends up being a drag.

Overall, Z2 is my favorite of the Zero series, and one of my favorite Mega Man games period. Its stages hit the right balance of difficulty and fun for me. Oh, and the music is beautiful.

6.) Mega Man Zero 3

Playing Z3 after Z2 feels like taking off weighted clothing. Its stages are considerably easier and occasionally more gimmicky. While there are good stages like the Volcano and Area X-2, there are stinkers like the Oceanic Highway and the Library.

However, Z3 does have a major advantage over its predecessor, and that is mechanical depth. It comes in two major forms: the Recoil Rod and the Combo System. Whereas the Triple Rod never got a chance to shine and the Chain Rod was not much fun to use, the Recoil Rod is a major success. Not only does it break through defensive enemies and send them flying, you can use it to launch off of the ground and pogo on enemies. (Yes, i know the Triple Rod could pogo too) This adds a great deal of utility to Zero's moveset, and makes the Recoil Rod a fierce competitor to the Buster. Skilled players can use their knowledge of the stage and the Recoil Rod to make incredible and rewarding plays.

The other form of depth is the Combo System, and I think trying to explain it myself is a crap-shoot. Basically you can link several moves in Zero's arsenal together to do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. A simpler form of this existed in Z2, but due to EX Skills now having different values you can now do something like Charged Slash->Triple Slash->Rising Slash->Down Stab. Not only does it do a lot of damage, it looks cool too. With proper knowledge and spacing you can avoid boss attacks and annihilate them with nary a scratch. This video explains how it works and shows some cool applications.

Z3 also has a much better version of the Cyber Elf system. I didn't go over the system in the first two games because, honestly, I had no reason to interact with it. You fed elves, used them to get permanent effects, and then tanked your rank. (I'm a tryhard that goes for A Ranks minimum) Here you now have the option of equipping up to two 'Satellite' elves with no rank penalty. You can also upgrade certain 'Fusion' elves and turn them into 'Satellite' elves. I don't know if I'm dumb or if it's not well-explained, but I had no idea this is how the system worked until like yesterday. And I've played this game for years. Probably the first.

If I had more time and less games to play, I'd probably devote more time to Z3 and 'learn' it. However, I simply don't have that luxury anymore, and honestly when a game is bundled with five other games sitting down with one for a significant amount of time seems...off. As such, I prefer Z2 and its more intense stages. Z3 is still a really good game though, and I have a lot of respect for it. Oh, and it has a cool final boss.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:49 am

Doom Eternal

Not actually finished with it yet but here's my two cents.

I'm a little conflicted. It's by no means bad, on the surface it's a freaking blast. The gameplay is as tight and visceral as the previous game and then some. But something to me seems... off, or missing.

So obviously what everyone loved about Doom 2016 is that the Doom Slayer just doesn't give a s**t about anything other than killing demons. Heck, we dont even know much about him, he's less of a person and more of an unstoppable force, and is the one thing Hell truly fears. But something that kinda sold that idea, is the fact that around you, an actual story is unfolding, there are other characters trying to get things done the "right" way and Doomguy just doesn't freaking care. You're just running around this facility on Mars wrecking everything in your path.

In Eternal, it's like they stripped that away and now it's just you and the demons. Nothing is in your way anymore. There are no scientists telling you why you should carefully disassemble this machine instead of smashing it to pieces. You're not stuck in one place anymore, you've got your own ship that lets you go pretty much anywhere on Earth or elsewhere to fight demons. In other words, there's nothing for Doomguy to not give a s**t about. It feels more disconnected and... I don't know, video gamey? Like each location you go to is just another "level", not a new chapter in a campaign. There's no contrast between the game wanting to tell a story and you, the player, wanting to shoot things.

And ironically the little story that there is, is about stuff I feel like I shouldn't care about. So far it's trying to flesh out the Doom Slayer, revealing his origins, his old order, his true purpose. I liked the fact that he was so ambigious before. Like, is he a human? An avenging angel? A demon himself? Who knows, he's just here to kill stuff. But now they're unraveling everything and ruining what made him so mysterious and scary.

I dunno, maybe people are okay with all of this? I had the same issue with Godzilla King of Monsters, I didn't like it cause it was just a bunch of Godzilla fighting and not much else, but I guess that's what people wanted. Maybe people are happy just shooting demons, and I guess that's okay.

Like I said, I'm conflicted cause the game itself is fun as hell, no pun intended. I will never get tired of impaling soldiers through the face. But as an overall experience, I think it's missing the charm from Doom 2016. It's like the developers saw what people liked about the previous game, and just gave people more of that without understanding what made it work in the context of everything else.

Gonna go play more of it now.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:33 am

16. Freddi Fish 2: The Case of the Haunted Schoolhouse (3/16) (PC)

Pretty decent as Humongous games go. This one is about collecting pieces for a Rube Goldberg trap in order to catch the ghost who has been stealing toys from the school kids. I don't actually remember much else after 12 days.

17. Tokaido (3/21) (Android)

A surprisingly good mobile adaptation of a pretty good board game. I haven't had any issues with the controls, the AI is reasonably strong, and the presentation is actually quite impressive. It even has online multiplayer and was temporarily free. Can't ask for much more from a phone game.

18. Freddi Fish 4: The Case of the Hogfish Rustlers of Briny Gulch (3/25) (PC)

More Humongous games. It's one of the biggest ones we've seen so far and even has some red herring items that don't do anything. The real highlight is the very last scene, in which you unmask the secret rustler ringleader from among all the NPCs in the game. There's a full cutscene for every possible wrong accusation and all of them are pretty entertaining. It also has a collection of 15-30 second silent comedy animations you can watch. A couple weren't anything special, but most were worthwhile. Overall one of the better titles.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:35 am

I played a game that wasn't ToS today!!!!!

I installed Homebrew on my Wii for the purposes of playing JP ToS on it and also circumventing having to use the Wiimote to load GC games, and then I decided **** it, so I put a SNES emulator on it and Tetris Attack for funzies. I haven't played Tetris Attack in decades but I watch S1x and some other folks speedrun it with some regularity because I love its soundtrack and it is just a very fun chill cozy game.

So I spent a couple hours sucking at the puzzle mode (did not finish that yet), then spent some time sucking at endless mode (wouldn't consider that beaten either), and finally just now did one of the VS runs of easy mode. I only game over'd once and on Easy mode Naval Pirahna is the last boss so you don't even have to fight all the really **** dudes.

Anyway I beat easy mode. Easy mode is for people who are bad at this game, and I am bad at this game. It is very very forgiving. That said it is a great opportunity to get a feel for what chains/combos send what kinds of garbage, because Endless doesn't give you that. And when enemies send you lots of garbage (well, "lots" being loosely defined here, for Easy mode) it puts you in the panic mode where you have to just go into overdrive and move **** around and pray it gets there on time.

I still can't make a 4 chain to save my life. Haven't managed it once. I've done 3 chains, mostly on accident but a couple were intentional. I'm pretty decent at doing the mid-drop improvisational insertion drop thing you're not really supposed to do but the game lets you anyway, but because of that I'm letting myself get away with not actually preparing longer chains.

It is 12:30am so I should probably go to bed now. At any rate, I think since I have this on console now I might actually try to grind it out and get better. I really do love this game. My next goal is to do a full run of Easy without dying at all, and to also force myself to learn 4 chains in Endless, and see what happens from there.

I'm learning ToS NG by the way. Unfortunately I haven't learned all of it yet - I'm not quite halfway - and even once I have, it will take a while to actually survive and finish a run. But I'll be back in here with ToS again.... soon?

--

edit: realized i should give it a review of some sort. as i said, easy mode is for people who are bad. i appreciate that. the difficulty spike when you get to the bosses is pretty intense for a beginner though; beforehand i kind of derped around with 4 combos carrying me and the CPUs would just die, and then suddenly Naval Pirahna tanks a 3 chain and a 6 combo and another 3 chain i somehow got out at the start without him breaking a damn sweat. ah well he is the final boss of easy mode so it is to be expected. anyway game has phenomenal soundtrack and is very cute and fun, 10/10

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:40 am

I'm pleased to announce I met my goal of deathless easy vs in tetris attack. I tried grinding it several times to see if I could more consistently come up with at least basic like 2x or 3x chains. I went ahead and timed it because my capture setup has a dedicated space for my splits anyway and I wanted to record my gameplay, so I figured why not. It technically wouldn't be dead last on the leaderboard, but I will not be submitting it anyway because I intend to actually properly learn the game before doing so.

My next goal is deathless normal mode. I average like 2/3 deaths per attempt at the moment but I'm getting faster and I'm getting better at basic simple short chains. Once I can get deathless in normal I'll probably do the same thing - grind it over and over, time it for reference, until it's consistent-ish enough and then I'll move on to Hard and then eventually S-hard or V-Hard or whatever but that is in the distant future because right now I'm still dying on Normal.

anyway game is still great still love it

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:21 am

Spirit Hunter: NG. I didn't like it as much as Death Mark, but it's definitely improved in certain ways. Things are less cryptic but it still has a lot of room for improvement there, and it does a better job of uniting the cast whereas before they were temporary. However, the story suffered a bit without a cool twist and I don't think they really integrated or used the relationship system very well.

Getting different endings is still a pain as you need to replay the whole thing to get some, and they reused a lot of music. Not enough changed or improved by as much as it needed to. Probably sounds like a negative review but I'd actually give it a pretty high rating just because what's here is fun and legitimately interesting. The sequel seems to be very ambitious so that'll be cool, adding RPG elements will almost certainly make combat better.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:50 pm

19. Monster Prom (4/1) (PC)

It's a CYOA VN that's pretty much identical to The Yawhg except that it's about trying to get a prom date at a monster high school and is therefore competitive rather than coop. Kinda. There are more potential dates than players, and since you can also be like me and reject all of the characters for being awful people, hurting the other players is actually generally just for laughs. And it's generally a pretty funny game despite how much everyone sucks. There's also a clever system for deciding turn order wherein it asks everyone to say something that fits a prompt and then has you argue about why your answer is the best for a completely different prompt IRL. Had a good time with it and will probably play again.

20. Mario Kart Advance (4/3) (DS)

It's pretty much Super Mario Kart but with better graphics and marginally more track variety. Like SMK, it's basically fine. I'd play it if it was the only thing around, but I didn't care to play beyond the 50CC cups and nothing about it really stands out.

21. LEGO Soccer Mania (4/7) (PS2)

I played a ton of this on PC as a kid and was feeling nostalgic, so I decided to try the PS2 version. It's a ridiculously easy (I won most games by 10+ goals) arcade soccer game where you take on a ton of 6-minifig teams representing all the notable LEGO sets circa 2004. Scoring never feels completely under your control despite being so easy, and mechanical quirks like characters not automatically turning to shoot (so you sometimes shoot the wrong way) and not being able to charge a shot before receiving the ball when passing normally make everything feel stiff. Powerups range in power from an almost completely useless bomb to a rocket that reliably scores from the opposite goal. It's not a *good* soccer game, but it's dumb and accessible enough to be fun for a bit.

They put a really surprising amount of effort into the story, too. It lasts something like 20 matches as your team pursues The Brickster across the world because he stole the trophy you got for qualifying (???) for the Lego Cup. It's got nothing on Inazuma Eleven's absurdity, but it's still entertaining.

22. Hitman 2 (4/7) (PC)

Like the first game, health regeneration is pretty generous and every enemy can be killed instantly with a headshot, so playing it as a straight third-person shooter is viable. Also like the first game, I got it for free and don't really enjoy its approach to stealth, so that's what I did. Everything I said about the original is still pretty much true here, except that the levels are bigger and more open, there's more weapon variety, and it's overall much more challenging to play this way than the original was. Obviously they weren't designed to be shooter levels, so some mechanics are lost and you miss out on most of the content, but I still think I had more fun with it than I would've playing as intended, and the achievements and cutscenes talking about what a great stealthy assassin you are are kinda funny when you've shot every guard in the level in full view of everyone.

I wouldn't pay full price if you're going to play it this way, but as part of a bundle or for a few bucks I think it's worth it. The game as intended is incredible huge and could probably eat hundreds of hours, but it's not for me, so I'm done after five.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:02 pm

7.) Mega Man Zero 4

Z4 is a case-study of the downsides of a yearly release schedule. It is more concerned about introducing stuff to put on the back of the box than actually making everything work. The Z-Knuckle lets you steal and use weapons from enemies! Well, these weapons are too situational compared to the conventional saber and gun so you'll probably use it only a few times. You can pick up materials and craft new items! Well, the UI for this system is awful, and tying things to crafting means the levels themselves don't really have much in the ways of secrets unlike the last three games. You can change the weather! Uh, alright, but the system just makes levels gimmicky and unfun to actually play. That last point kind of encapsulates a lot of Z4 for me: it's just not that much fun a lot of the time. I think the peak of the game is Ragnarok Control Room, as it's actually a decent stage followed by a battle with Craft, who is tough but fun to fight.

Z4's greatest strength, amazingly enough, is its story. It does a good job of going back to themes that were touched on earlier, expanding a bit on them and then tying everything together. It's not amazing or anything, but it's pretty good. I just wish it was in a better game.

Also I guess the music is decent...but I personally think the compositions are heavily constrained by the GBA soundchip in a way the other three games aren't.

8.) Mega Man ZX

I think ZX is best described as a great game covered in a lot of fat. The map design is large but also confusing and at odds with a mission system that feels completely redundant in general. The side-quests are really bland and tedious, and unfortunately more often than not offer better awards than exploration. The main story itself is pretty generic and doesn't really make good use of the setting. I think the Biometal system is alright and even the oft-overlooked Model PX has potential, but in terms of movesets/abilities it feels like a case of prioritizing quantity than quality. I found myself missing Zero's EX Skills a lot.

However, ZX has one great strength: its Hard Mode. The four Zero games all had Hard Modes, but:
a.) the Zero games are hard enough for me
b.) I had more games to play
c.) they seemed more about making Zero weaker than the game harder

Well, with ZX:
a.) ZX Normal Mode is easy
b.) I only had ZXA to play after
c.) ZX Hard Mode lets you stay strong moveset-wise but in exchange makes every boss much harder

So, to 'train' for Hard Mode I did a powerup-less run: no Life Ups and no Sub Tanks. Combined with knowing where to go and ignoring side-quests, I actually had a much better time. The level design is good and the bosses are well-designed. The final battle against Serpent in particular is actually extremely well-designed, but on a 'normal playthrough' you'd probably just facetank and heal through everything instead of getting a chance to appreciate the choreography of it all. It also helped me appreciate how fun Model ZX can be to use: charge shot into jump/spin slash into triple slash is a pretty simple combo compared to what Z3 had but it's still fun and rewarding to pull off. Anyway, I managed to beat Hard Mode and it was fun.

While the main story may be generic, I do think the setting is pretty interesting. Every human now has mechanical augmentations and every Reploid now ages normally; the only obvious difference between the two races is a triangle Reploids have on their forehead. It's been like this for at least a century so it's seen as completely commonplace. And while the map may be bloated and confusing, it does give you the chance to just walk around a city and talk with normal people, which isn't really something you've ever got the chance to do before in a a standard 2D Mega Man game. If the map design was halfway-decent this could have been a big step forward for the series.

EDIT: The weak-point system I'm neutral on. It's an interesting challenge but at the same time it just feels inherently wrong to hit a boss and think, "oops." I got good levels (level 4+level 3 on Model H, F and L? Dayum) on the relevant Biometals during Hard Mode though so :party3:

9.) Mega Man ZX Advent

If ZX was a great game under a lot of fat, ZXA is a decent game under a lot less fat. The map size has been reined in, and is now a lot smaller and easier to understand. IntiCreates also had the good sense to make the bottom screen function as a map and a way to quickly swap between forms. The mission system is also streamlined: instead of manually choosing missions, you pick them up as you go, which makes way more sense.

Unlike the previous five games, you play ZXA primarily as Model A, a long-ranged fighter. Model A can also transform into the bosses you beat. Unfortunately, I feel this is the area where ZXA falls short compared to its predecessor. Model A simply isn't as fun to use as Zero/Model ZX, and the forms are often so clunky in general use that they end up being used only to get past certain obstacles/areas, kind of like Zelda items. And not even the multi-use Zelda items you keep on the C Buttons full-time, we're talking Dominion Rod-tier. I think they missed an opportunity to kill multiple birds with one stone here. If they made some of these boss abilities 'inherent' to Model A rather than making the player stop and transform, Model A would be more exciting to use and there would be less pace-breaking 'stop and transform' sections.

The Biometals from the first game got a mixture of nerfs and buffs. Model L no longer hits like a noodle, and Model P got a few sections that require its wall-clinging and map-having skills. However, the removal of Overdrive is a huge (but probably justified) nerf that makes them vastly inferior to Model ZX for boss fights. Speaking of ZX its spin slash is mad dumb in this game now that Overdrive isn't around to overshadow it. Spin to win baby!

So, in short ZXA has the QoL ZX should have had, but is less fun for most of the gametime. Oh, and the story is basically nonsense.

EDIT: Oh, and the new effect that occurs when you kill a boss with a charge shot is awesome. You basically blow off a chunk of their body. Nasty!

Z.) Mega Man Zero / ZX Legacy Collection

Now, as for the collection itself. All six games are ported rather than emulated, which means they run mostly-flawlessly. The only performance issue I noticed was occasional slowdown during ZX/A. It only happened once in a while for like a second or two, but it was hard to miss. You've also got a lot of concept art to look at, which is cute. If you get the PC version you can mod it to replace the music with remastered tracks and play through ZX/A with Japanese VAs in cutscenes.

For those that aren't craven, self-absorbed masochists just want to play the games and have fun, the collection offers a toggle-able 'Save Assist' mode for every game. What this boils down to is a much more lenient checkpoint system instead of the usual lives system. I personally stayed away from it for the most part but I will confess that I did use it to practice the final fights of ZX/A before switching it off for the 'real attempts.' **** having to do the whole ZX boss rush several times just to learn how Hard Mode Serpent works, lol.

The Collection has a unique mode called 'Z Chaser' which is basically a time trial mode. Unfortunately, despite its rather extravagant presentation, it's a bit barren. You've got two levels for each game (plus a secret level) and that's it. It's hard not to feel that it falls short of the Classic Legacy Collections, which featured challenges for levels and bosses. It even had challenges that would switch game mid-way through.

10.) Mega Man 9 (Superhero Mode) [oh, if I had only played one less game...]

My thoughts from 2.5 years ago are mostly still the same, though honestly I wasn't too bothered about the loss of slide and charge shot. Superhero mode is pretty fun, pretty funny to see fake 1-Ups everywhere. It's tough, but oh-so satisfying to conquer. Wily 4 is still pretty brutal though.

11.) Mega Man 10 (Hard Mode)

Let's start with the positives. The soundtrack is extremely good, conveying a clear sense of 'character' that I feel MM9 doesn't have despite the strength of its own soundtrack. The ability to switch weapons on the fly is much appreciated and makes the game flow a lot more smoothly. There's also a lot of content to dig into: three playable characters, extra stages and bosses, and unique challenges. (not to be confused with the challenges added by the Legacy Collection) One thing I really appreciate about these challenges is that you can fight every individual boss at your leisure as soon as you meet them, and you can choose which difficulty to fight them at. The extra Hard Mode now not only makes stages harder but gives the bosses at least one new attribute or attack that makes them more formidable opponents.

However, despite all of these cool features, I had a significantly better time with MM9. I don't have the skills needed to analyze both games in-depth to deduce exactly why this is, but I think it comes down to level design. MM9 is more platforming-focused, where-as MM10 feels more action-focused. In MM9, most of your deaths will be to tough platforming sections, whereas in MM10 it'll be due to enemies.

On paper you'd think this would be MM10's advantage. After all, a failed jump means instant death, but you can take many hits before dying. And it's not like MM9 is fair 100% of the time either: the crane enemies in Wily 3 have entrenched themselves in my mind as THE 'surprise ****' enemies of the entire series. Yet, in practice MM9's challenges feel a lot more satisfying to 'solve', while MM10 leaves instead a feeling of annoyance and borderline frustration. Getting past the tight jumps of Tornado Man's stage left me with a distinct feeling of satisfaction; getting past the seasaw and flying enemies of Blade Man's stage left me with a feeling of 'glad that's over.'

And that stuff about 'you can take many hits before dying?” Well, this is what the me of 2.5 years ago had to say:
While I remembered 9 as being more cruel than 10, playing them back-to-back this time has left me feeling things aren't that simple. While 9 is tougher overall, with tricky jumps and the occasional “haha SURPRISE YOU DIE LOL GG” moment, 10 has a **** of things that knock you into pits. Never before in the series have I been knocked into so many pits. Bosses are also noticeably fiercer in this game, with fast, dangerous movement and in several cases more awkward weaknesses.
Before replaying MM10 I thought he just had sour grapes, but no, there truly is a surplus of things that will knock you into pits, especially on Hard Mode. It's kind of crazy too, because you'd think MM9 would be the one where knockback would be a major issue but it feels way more memorable in MM10. And past a certain point it just feels...lazy. Shield guy here, flying enemy here, pit grenade everywhere.

Finally, Chill Man is my favorite Robot Master. His head in encased in ice!

The Inti Mega Man games, ranked:

tl;dr for this post and the last: mad 'cuz bad lol

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:45 pm

So, the most recent game I finished was 'Donut County'. It's a kind of a differing take on 'Katamari Damacy'---------instead of rolling crap up into a ball, you deploy a mobile hole in the ground that paradoxically gets bigger the more and bigger stuff you get to fall into it. You start off just having blades of grass and pebbles falling in, and eventually you work your way up to whole houses and stuff. Game's loaded with raccoons and odd puzzles. It's weird and silly. Kind of short. Charming. I like it.

Mira and BK are cool. I wouldn't mind seeing them again----------a sequel would be alright.
boo---------------he shudders in his lampshade

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:24 pm

Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir. It overstayed its welcome due to repetition but it was a fun game for about 45% of its run, excluding replays and side content I skipped. Music is fantastic, voice acting is great for the most part, and gameplay is good for a while but there's zero variety. I probably don't even need to praise Vanillaware's art, it seems to be what they're best known for.

I'd recommend the game but only the first chapter, looking up the rest of the story online would suffice after that.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:17 pm

^Vanillaware is terrible about that, unfortunately. I want to like their games, but I have better things to do that play minor variations on the same levels six times.

24. Paper Pirates (4/18) (PC)

It's basically Resistance but pirate themed and played the same way as Jackbox. The tutorial seems to be lacking, because people not already familiar with similar games have been confused every time I've played it. There are random events scattered throughout that are really swingy and feel beyond anyone's control. It's overall not a terrible alternative party game, and it's certainly no Zeeple Dome, but I don't think it's particularly good.

25. The Jackbox Party Pack (4/19) (PC)

You Don't Know Jack, Drawful, and Fibbage have been done better in later packs. Word Spud is confusing arbitrary nonsense. Lie Swatter is pretty fun, but also basically Fibbage where only the computer writes answers. There's not much reason to play it over one of the other 5 games.

26. Garfield Kart (4/19) (PC)

I was tricked into believing this was more than just a meme by the Steam reviews being "Very Positive." Thankfully I didn't pay any real money for it (Chrono.gg coins), because it's an absolutely god-awful kart racer. From a technical perspective, it runs like crap, looks terrible, and somehow doesn't even have functional resolution settings - the real resolution seems to be about 25% higher than what you select. There are pointlessly grindy coins to collect like it's a mobile game, the powerups are all ripped right from Mario Kart except for an obnoxious set of UFOs that completely block the road for first place and often spawn a dozen times in a 3 lap race. I think you're theoretically intended to drive between the beams, but the hit boxes are crap, so it's all luck unless you have room to go around off-track. On top of everything else, the AI drives right at you and making collision with another racer inexplicably makes both of you nearly stop.

Some of the track design is actually pretty decent, so it's a real shame that it got stuck something this awful. Avoid like the plague.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:47 pm

^still can't believe you made me play Zeeple Dome. Twice. :grumble:
looking up into pure sunlight

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:07 pm

27. Cat Quest II (4/23) (PC)

It's Cat Quest, but with co-op and a bigger map. There are a few more spells, some more interesting equipment effects, and dungeon design is generally more intricate, but nothing here is unrecognizable from the first game. Which is good, because the first game is good, and its mix of cutesy ARPG and cat puns still holds up, only now there are also dog puns.

Also, one quest absolutely broke @smol Kat and it was amazing.

28. Florence

This won a load of awards for telling an ordinary love story, and it's got a bunch of box quotes on its store page about how its insightful and whatnot. And I've got to admit that, for a mobile game, it's impressive. The soundtrack is great, it's a joy to look at, and it does some creative things with touch controls. All of that is legitimately impressive.

What's less impressive is the story. It's supposed to be the big thing about this game, but it's just fine in a completely unremarkable way. Once you get past the presentation, there's nothing particularly interesting about the story it's telling - being an ordinary relationship was the point, after all. But there also aren't any words, so unless you're projecting your own story onto it, that intentionally unremarkable tale is all that's there. After a very predictable half hour, it's over.

There's no discernible moral because there are no words, so who knows what the fights were about, and there is by definition nothing memorable about a story that plays out thousands of times a day. I'm honestly completely lost about where these awards came from. It's fine, but that's it.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:08 pm

SO
MANY
PUNS
:rotfl:

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:17 pm

Florence sounds like an artsy drama simulator. I'm not sure what could be more pretentious.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:41 pm

I didn't think it was pretentious at all, honestly, just dull.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:55 pm

29. Animal Crossing: New Horizons (4/26) (Switch)

I had a couple things in mind as a marker for "finishing" this game, but thankfully it resolved that for me by flashing credits after the first condition I reached. I plan to continue playing it pretty much the same way I was before, but after 75 hours and a credit sequence, I also think I'm ready to review it.

Obviously it's a great game if I've played it for 75 hours in about a month. It's exceptional at providing opportunities for player customization of their island, house, character, etc, and also at giving you reasons to check in every day, whether to sell your fruit, check for new events, dig up fossils, or any number of other activities. None of it is individually particularly impressive outside of the customization, but it adds up to something that's consistently compelling despite being inherently grindy. I love it for that, and it'll almost certainly have a spot on my top 10 at the end of the year.

But it's also an aggravating game to play because of a stubborn refusal to do almost anything to improve the player's quality of life. NPCs repeat the same unskippable dialog every time you do anything, items can only be crafted from resources in your inventory and one at a time, most shops only allow one purchase per loop of their dialog, you can't tell exactly where you're placing an item until you've done it, and so on. Much like how the little things the game does right add up to a greater whole, these minor problems are nitpicks individually but collectively grating. It feels like they just ignored every development in UI and play convenience of the last 20 years, and knowing Nintendo, they probably did. So many things about the game could be greatly improved with tiny amounts of effort, but for whatever reason that just wasn't done.

Still, my biggest complaint is to do with how the game handles its randomness. There are loads of rare fish in the game, but beyond making sure you're fishing in the right biome at the right time and that you're going for the right size shadow, there's nothing you can do to help catch one. If you're going for a rare huge fish, you just have to deal with the fact that you're probably going to catch 15 sea bass and waste a ton of fish bait before you ever see it. ACNH isn't the first game to do this, of course, but RNG spawn systems were never interesting, and the prevalence of worthless fish makes going for a rare one more frustrating than fun. After Pokemon moved beyond blind spawns in the last two games, it would've been nice to see AC follow suit and come up with a more interesting system for fish, bug, and villager spawns. This would've been a perfect opportunity to require crafting certain kinds of bait or equipment to catch fish, for example, or needing certain decorations to attract villagers.

All in all, it's a fantastic game I'll likely play for hundreds of hours, but nonetheless one that could've been much more if they'd been more willing to question past design and learn from other games.
Last edited by I am nobody on Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:49 pm

re: QoL, we've had this discussion already but what surprises me is that a lot of the things you wish this game had, Pocket Camp does... You'd think they'd carry that over.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:46 pm

Sorry, quality of life is for lame mobile casuals only,

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri May 01, 2020 6:52 pm

30. Super Bit Blaster XL (4/28) (PC)

It's Super Bit Blaster with a couple new ship and enemy types, plus a boss that shows up around 70k score. Like the first game, it's a more modern version of Asteroids that's pretty good for short sessions. I probably wouldn't pay much for it, but it was free for owners of the original, so that's not an issue. Worth a look if you want a simple score attack game.

31. Rainy Season (5/1) (PC)

The artsy game bundled with Humble Choice this month. It's a rainy day in the life of a Japanese elementary schooler. You have to find things to do around grandma's house now that the rain ruined your family's plans to go to the amusement park. I love the concept, and it has enough cool moments relative to its runtime (15 minutes) that I'd recommend giving it a look, but it's a little disappointing because it so clearly could've been more. A few more activities around the house, going a little deeper into the weird stuff, or even just giving the family NPCs more dialogue would've gone a long way.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”