Games of the Decade: '00s

Moderator: X-3

I am nobody

Games of the Decade: '00s

Post by I am nobody » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:48 am

Part 2, covering 2000 through 2009. This was way harder for me. Decided to copy Kat and write summaries for each of them.

1. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (12/10/09, DS)

Absolutely mind-blowing at the time, and still one of the best and most engaging mysteries out there. The localization leaves a little to be desired, especially compared to later games in the series, but comical overuse of "what the hell" is a small price to pay for how amazing everything else is.

2. Mass Effect (11/20/07, PC)

For my money the best introductory world building in any game. It's ugly and the gameplay hasn't aged especially well, but I've never felt so apart of a game's world. Twelve years later, there are still only a handful of games that have even gotten close.

3. Persona 4 (7/10/08, PS2)

Persona 4 did for a rural Japanese town what Mass Effect did for a galaxy. It's got dungeon crawling and world saving and that's all great, sure, but its biggest accomplishment is making day-to-day rural life so believable and relatable. Like ME, I've finished it four times and still haven't skipped a line of dialogue. P3 could easily have been here for all the same reasons except that the combat is crap and P3P didn't fix it until 2010.

4. Pokemon Emerald (9/16/04, GBA)

It's just a really good Pokemon game, and you've all played it. It had Rayquaza and Flygon and a ton of others and I actually love the horns.

5. Mirror's Edge (1/12/09, PC)

Far and away the game I've completed the most times, despite the fact a lot of it is linear and the story is truly awful. It makes up for all that by doing parkour really well, and turning what would otherwise be a dry and forgettable campaign into a nearly unbroken series of pathfinding and movement challenges that have you pulling off tricks games normally reserve for cutscenes once you master them.

6. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (11/4/04, GBA)

This could easily have been Wind Waker, but MC won out because the Triforce quest is awful and MC is consistent the whole way through. And that's also what makes it stand out in general: there aren't really any moments or mechanics that make MC brilliant on their own, but the way the whole game fits together so that the main line is a constant push of new content while still always having loads of worthwhile side stuff if you want it is everything I want from Zelda.

7. Silent Hill 3 (5/23/03, PS2)

It's a great survival horror game in its own right, but what really elevated it for me was the contrast between how seriously all of the supporting cast takes everything and how the protagonist just can't be bothered with any of this supernatural nonsense for large stretches of the game. And it's got the UFO ending!

8. Resident Evil 4 (1/11/05, GC)

Pretty much the same thing except that now the protagonist is a rejected action hero and spends the whole game making bad one-liners while ridiculous vaguely-horror things happen. It isn't very scary, but it's great comedy.

9. Left 4 Dead 2 (11/17/09, PC)

Still one of the best co-op experiences out there because of how well the level and enemy design fit together and how the AI-controlled spawns keep things just a little different every time you play. It's also the third horror game that's really a comedy, with silly goals like escaping with a garden gnome and pointless carnival mini games.

10. Final Fantasy X (7/19/01, PS2)

The last good one. Great music and story, clever ways of making leveling up and turn order interesting after 10 games, and it even had Blitzball.

Unordered honorable mentions:
Spoiler.
Portal, Bioshock, Super Mario Galaxy Total War: Medieval II: Games that would've made a slightly longer list
Skies of Arcadia, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, The World Ends with You: Games I remember loving, but haven't played in so long that it's hard to say if they're still good
Fallout 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Knights of the Old Republic 2, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Games that were amazing then but have been completely outclassed in the years since
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor: Games that are very significant to me, but not something I can seriously call one of the decade's best

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Re: Games of the Decade: '00s

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:15 pm

I might do summaries when I'm bored later but:
1. Rock Band 2
2. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
3. Fallout 3
4. Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
5. Tetris DS
6. Portal
7. Animal Crossing: Wild World
8. Super Smash Bros. Melee
9. Gunstar Super Heroes
10. Left 4 Dead 2

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:33 pm

oh boy here we go.

10. Animal Crossing: Wild World
9. Paper Mario
8. Super Mario Galaxy
7. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
6. Metroid Prime
5. Mother 3
4. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
3. Pokemon Sapphire
2. Super Smash Bros. Melee released for the Nintendo GameCube in 2001
1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Honorable mentions: Drill Dozer (would be #10 if we did one-per-series), Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (would be #9 if we were doing one-per-series) FF Crystal Chronicles, the Oracles, Golden Sun, Twilight Princess, Mass Effect, The Adventures of Zack and Wiki, and the best boot disc of all time SSB Brawl.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:30 pm

10. Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (GCN, 2001)
9. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN, 2004)
8. Luigi's Mansion (GCN, 2001)
7. Wario Land 4 (GBA, 2001)
6. Mega Man 9 (Multi, 2008)
5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64, 2000)
4. Paper Mario (N64, 2001)
3. Kirby Air Ride (GCN, 2003)
2. Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (Multi, 2004)
1. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN, 2001)

Honorable Mentions:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, 2008)
Super Mario Sunshine (GCN, 2002)
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, 2008)
Sonic Advance 3 (GBA, 2004)
Sonic Battle (GBA, 2003)
Mega Man ZX Advent (NDS, 2007)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN, 2003)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN/Wii, 2006)
Tales of Symphonia (GCN, 2003)
Super Mario 64 DS (NDS, 2004)
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA, 2004)
Nicktoons Racing (GBA, 2002)
Mario Kart Wii (Wii, 2008)

There are a LOT of honorable mentions this time because even with my limited exposure to non-Nintendo consoles there are still SO many excellent games to choose from.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:28 pm

This decade was HARD! Again, not ordered.
  • Pokemon Emerald ('05, GBA): As I said in the '90s thread, I started here. Emerald's postgame is absolutely amazing and remains one of my favorite postgames just because of the uniqueness of the Battle Frontier (yes I know DPP had something similar but Gen IV sucks fight me). The music is how I trained my ear. And this is probably the one I go back to the most.
  • The World Ends With You ('08, DS): Someone I knew in high school strongly suggested I play this game, and I'm glad they did. It really influenced my entire aestetic and, when I did art things, my art style as well. I still have the OST on my iPod, so I can totally jam out to it in my car! I never 100%'d the original or the Switch remaster, even though I really wanted to, but I played the crap out of this game.
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance ('05, GCN): My favorite Fire Emblem title! I love the plot, the characters, the supports...everything. Well, the voice acting is kind of uncomfortably bad, but other than that! I try to go back to this one from time to time and it always hits me. Also s1x streamed it recently on hard mode and watching that was hella great
  • Minish Cap ('04, GBA): My actual favorite Zelda game. It's just so ding dang CUTE and the gameplay is pretty satisfying. Also, Town Minish aesthetic is best aesthetic. The only game in the franchise that I've high%'d; I'm missing one Kinstone fusion (almost certainly was the King so there's no way for me to get it) and one heart piece (because heck the Cucco game).
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance ('03, GBA): Oh, man. I put WAY too many hours into this one. But honestly it got me through some rough stuff. I go back to it fairly often, and I even started learning the routing to speedrun Any% earlier this year. Unfortunately, the route absolutely requires 45 minutes of grinding near the beginning, so... no thanks. I'd love if there were an easier way to do it or even All Missions but it's pretty dependent on Marche's level so /shrug
  • Mario Kart DS ('05, DS): So, even though MK Wii is my favorite (I'll talk about that one in a minute), this one made the list because I spent a lot of time doing local multi my junior year in high school with the drumline...we'd play whenever we were on the bus to go to away games. Good times. :)
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney ('05, DS): I've played the first game in the series a couple of different times, although it took me until earlier this year to play through the trilogy. I truly love the lore to this game, even if the first title just scratches the surface. Also, one year for Halloween I was Mia Fey and it was awesome. Even if maybe like three people recognized me. I hand-painted a sign that said Hold it! on one side and Objection! on the other. I even bought a magatama which I still have somewhere! ...Man. I should do that again. That was fun.
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee ('01, GCN): Like just about everyone else, I'm including Melee. It's still my favorite Smash game. Our first console was our cousins' old GameCube and this and Animal Crossing (see below) were the first games we got to go with it. It stopped reading discs shortly thereafter, unfortunately, but then my brother won a Wii game (omg! I completely forgot Pokemon Battle Revolution existed! lol holy crap) and my mom said "heck it I'm buying you kids a Wii" so it was fine! BUT ANYWAY I love Melee and we played it a LOOOOOT before we got our own consoles. Best part of Thanksgiving.
  • Animal Crossing ('02, GCN): Another one I played a good bit of before we got our own consoles, via a friend. I played my original town for a LOOOONG time. I may or may not have had a hoarding problem. But it's okay!
  • Mario Party 5 ('03, GCN): I know this game way too well. It's honestly still my favorite Mario Party, although I did have a lot of fun playing the new one at the meetup. :)
Honorable mentions (because I'm trying to remain one game to a series, mostly)!
  • Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones ('05, GBA): This was the first Fire Emblem I ever played. It has a lot of good husbandos. :) Game itself is okay, but PoR is just so gooooooood <3 <3
  • Mario Kart Wii ('08, Wii): My favorite Mario Kart because the tracks are just so awesome!! I want to ride them all as roller coasters, haha. As one might imagine, the game is so much easier if you just use a controller. Never use the wheel. lmao
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl ('08, Wii): Unfortunately, I got burned out on this installment pretty quickly, but the summer before my senior year in high school I had what I guess one could call a fling (it was high school... lol) and so me, him, and a bunch of awesome mutual friends would hang out and play it a lot. Good times!
  • Oregon Trail 5th Edition ('01, PC): I can't believe I'm putting an Oregon Trail game on here but I played this one WAY too much. I was t h a t k i d. As one might imagine, I played at school and then went home and asked my mom for a copy of the game. She obliged. Then she played it even more than I did. And I played it a lot. This version had a little side story to go with it, which I thought was pretty cool. Also some interesting quirks--some I've been able to replicate because of course I still have a copy and it runs on Win7 so I totally still play it sometimes, others not so much. Buffalo walking in the sky is an endlessly amusing, er, feature.
all the lessons learned will carry us through the unknown

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:14 pm

10. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
9. Super Mario Sunshine
8. Diablo II
7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
6. Warcraft III
5. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
4. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
3. Final Fantasy IX
2. Super Mario Galaxy
1. Metroid Prime

Man, I'd forgotten how many really good games came out this decade.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:46 pm

You guys have really good lists.

I don't really have a list. I really liked 'Mark of Kri', and 'Legend of Kay', and 'Psychonauts' and 'Disgaea'. All them 'Ratchet and Sly and Daxter and Jak and Clank' games were good biz. 'Sid Meier's Pirates--Live the Life' was garbage, but I liked it lots.

'Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath' was pretty fantastic. Any of you guys play that? It was so strange and good.

'Metal Saga' is the favouritest thing ever. I won't post the trailer again for the million billionth time, don't worry.

I like Zelda. 'Wind Waker' was good biz.

'Borderlands' was great.

Dynasty Warriors became a huge, huge thing during this era. Dynasty Warriors is great and I love it.

Rare did 'Grabbed by the Ghoulies', 'Starfox Adventures', 'Viva Pinata', 'Kameo: Elements of Power', 'Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts', 'Conker's Bad Fur Day' and 'It's Mr. Pants!' in the '00s. Why do people hate Rare, again?
boo----------he's a hurry-cane in all kinds of weather

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:49 pm

Ohhhh Disgaea!! Also I forgot the first Borderlands came out that decade. I thought it was a little newer.
all the lessons learned will carry us through the unknown

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:03 pm

1-10: tales of symphonia

nothing else matters as much as tales of symphonia

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:11 pm

'Soul Calibur II' would have been on my list, except there wan't no real Siegfried, just Nightmare, Nightmare forever. Sieg's only the goldang series protagonist, and this is how you do him? For shame.

'Metal Slug 3' came out in 00's, as did 'Katamari Damacy' and 'Guilty Gear X'. The 00's were pretty rad, man.

I like 'Ico' a lot. It's so engaging. And natch I like 'Fable' and 'Fable 2'.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:27 pm

Pretty unsure about the exact rankings of most of these games.

10.) Oracle of Seasons (2001) [for the list's sake I just chose this one]
9.) Paper Mario (2000)
8.) Devil May Cry (2001)
7.) Mega Man Battle Network 3 (2003)
6.) Super Smash Bros Melee (2001)
5.) Mega Man Zero 2 (2003)
4.) Majora's Mask (2000)
3.) World of Warcraft (several years)
2.) Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (2005/2006)
1.) Metroid Prime (2002)

Honorable Mentions: Banjo Tooie, REMake, RE4, ZM, Bowser's Inside Story, more.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:45 pm

Man. 'Unwound Future', I believe, is the first game that ever made me cry myself all hollow.

Seeing Layton come undone at the end, and then Luke's goodbye---------what a one-two punch in the heart-guts, man. It's rough.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 pm

^ Same. I was considering including it on my list here, but I figured I'd save it for the next decade since my '10s list will be a lot more sparse, and Unwound Future technically wasn't released in the West until 2010.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:03 pm

Forgot Dawn of Sorrow, Advance Wars DS and Phoenix Wright.

The DS had GAMES, man

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:59 am

00's are a lot more difficult, there was a greater quantity of good games... Let's see:

Top 10:

1. Paper Mario
2. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
3. Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga
4. Final Fantasy IX
5. Mega Man Battle Network
6. Star Fox Adventures
7. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
8. Chrono Cross
9. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
10. Final Fantasy X

Honorable Mentions:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Legend of Dragoon

Top 10 (one per series):

1. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Mega Man Battle Network
4. Star Fox Adventures
5. Saiyuki: Journey West
6. Chrono Cross
7. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
8. Hotel Dusk: Room 215
9. Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
10. Super Smash Bros. Melee

Parasite Eve II
Super Mario Sunshine
Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life

Nostalgia:

1. Mega Man Battle Network
2. Pokemon Stadium 2
3. Star Fox Adventures
4. Dragon Ball Z: The Legacy of Goku
5. Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2004
6. Sonic Advance
7. Mario Kart: Double Dash
8. Metroid Prime
9. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
10. Final Fantasy III (DS)

Tales of Symphonia
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai
Mother 3

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Seeing a whole lot of best games of the decades threads but no steamiest dumps of the decade being listed off. Top 10 worst games played.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:46 pm

steeze wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:38 pm
Seeing a whole lot of best games of the decades threads but no steamiest dumps of the decade being listed off. Top 10 worst games played.
Should be some ground rules, like no shovelware, etc. Sounds fun though.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Full disclosure I did google that. I agree.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:33 pm

I feel like worst ever threads always just devolve into someone claiming popular games they don't like are somehow the worst in the world. We used to have someone who'd always say Minecraft and Journey were the two worst ever, and while I don't like either of those either, come on. Everyone's played some completely broken garbage at some point.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:50 pm

I don't care if other people make lists of 'worst games of the [era]', but I'm not gonna do any. Because I'm all about positivity, bay bee.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”