Games of the Decade: '10s

Moderator: X-3

I am nobody

Games of the Decade: '10s

Post by I am nobody » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:45 am

And now the last part, and far and away the hardest for me. I'm excluding anything from this year because it's not over and it takes more than a few months to know if something is this good, so I'm really doing 2010-2018.

10. The Last of Us (6/14/13)

So I said this game wasn't good in 2013 and now it's in my top 10 because sometimes I get things really comically wrong. TLoU is just an alright shooter (as Joel) with an initially unlikable player character and a nonsense world, yes, but it's really just about the relationship between two characters, and it delivers that in a way that only the games at the top of this list can rival.

9. Crusader Kings II (12/14/12, PC)

One of the most imposing games ever made, CKII tasks you with guiding any medieval family heir-by-heir and literally day-by-day from the Norman conquest of England in 1066 through the fall of Constantinople in 1453. You can start as the most pitiful baron in Europe and plot your way to becoming an emperor later, and if you're like me, also pick up the Cathar heresy along the way. It masters role playing and grand strategy at the same time to deliver a truly unique experience.

8. Finding Paradise (12/14/17, PC)

Like To the Moon before it, it's a game that explores the idea of fulfilling a person's life by giving them a dream of the life they never had right before they die. It's heavy stuff, but it wisely mixes in lighter moments and occasionally off-the-walls gameplay to keep the mood up and goes out with what's undoubtedly one of the best endings in any game.

7. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun (12/6/16, PC)

Good stealth sequences are built around having enough tools to be creative and enough threats that you're still going to get caught if you're not very careful. Shadow Tactics is an unbroken series of those moments from start to end, with levels that took me multiple hours of extremely careful pushes forward to finally beat. It's an incredibly slow and unforgiving game, but every inch it gives feels like an accomplishment. Pretty good story, too.

6. osu! (???, PC)

This objectively should've been on my '00s list because it initially released in 2007, but I forgot and it wasn't any good until the early 2010s, so I'm cheating. osu! is Elite Beat Agents taken to an extreme by player-created levels. It's just clicking circles to music, and yet I've played it more than any other game because it does that one thing so amazingly well. There's nothing like finally nailing a song that's just beyond your previous best.

5. Persona 5 (9/15/16, PS4)

It's everything I said about Persona 4 on the '00s list but bigger and better. It took a formula that I'd have told you was already almost perfect and somehow made it massively better, while also having one of the best OSTs ever. It says it all that I wanted to jump right back in after finishing an 80 hour game, and that the only reason I didn't was because we all knew they'd make Royal and it'd be better still.

4. Mass Effect 3 (3/6/12, PC)

Sure, the ending is crap, but the 20 hours prior to it are everything I could possibly have asked for in a wrap-up to a universe and characters I'd spent hundreds of hours with. Plus, if you're like me and just pretend that The Citadel DLC is the real ending, then you even get the amazing sendoff we all wanted.

3. NieR: Automata (2/23/2017, PS4)

Automata is a game that's impossible to talk about. You can say it has one of the best soundtracks ever, that its combat is peak Platinum, and that there's ridiculous nonsense like the Fish Ending, but what really elevates it to all-time status is how it's never what you think it is. Every time you feel like you're getting a grasp on it as a game or as a story, it laughs at you and changes into something completely different, and yet it ties it all back to a single message in the end.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (5/19/15, PC)

The game that proved open world games and top-class storytelling could go together after all. Almost every RPG since has tried to be it, and while some have gotten close to its gameplay and world design, no one has reached the heights of its varied and morally ambiguous quests or its consistently surprising and well-developed characters.

1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (2/16/12, Vita)

A mystery game where practically every detail, puzzle, and word is a clue, yet which still manages to subvert your expectations at every turn. Nothing before or since has held my attention so thoroughly even when I wasn't playing it, and almost nothing has even gotten close to the bar it set for storytelling or narrative design. As great as everything else on this list is, Zero Time Dilemma, its sequel, was the only competition for #1.

Honorable mentions:
Spoiler.
Excluded by one-per-franchise: Zero Time Dilemma, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Persona 4 Golden, Persona 3 Portable, Europa Universalis IV To the Moon
I haven't played for some shameful reason: NieR
Everything else: Total War: Shogun 2, XCOM: Enemy Within, Pokemon White 2/HeartGold/Moon, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2, Dishonored 2, Overwatch, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, What Remains of Edith Finch, Overwatch

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Games of the Decade: '10s

Post by Marilink » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:59 am

This one is a little tougher, given that I haven't even really landed on my Game of the Year for 2017 yet, let alone 18 and 19. Well, scratch that, actually, 18's easy.

10. Possibly Fire Emblem: Three Houses
9. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
8. Undertale
7. Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
6. Octopath Traveler
5. Shovel Knight
4. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Super Mario Odyssey
2. Mass Effect 2
1. Celeste

Still not sure between BotW and Odyssey, but they're neck-and-neck and occupy a very similar space in my brain and heart.

Honorable mentions:
Stardew Valley
Ori and the Blind Forest
Pokemon Gen VI
Crypt of the NecroDancer
Super Meat Boy
VVVVVVV
Mighty Switch Force
New Super Mario Bros. U
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Mario Kart 8

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:27 am

This one's hard for me because I've been playing fewer new releases with every passing (the last game I bought was Samus Returns).

10. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
9. Super Mario Galaxy 2
8. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
7. Mario Kart 7
6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
5. Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
4. Metroid: Samus Returns
3. Super Mario Maker
2. Super Mario 3D Land
1. Mario Kart 8

These are all good games, but I wouldn't consider #10-7 "top ten" quality, and they're only here because I wouldn't have ten games otherwise. I don't own a Switch, but I've played a small amount of Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey, and I'm sure if I'd played through them by myself they would be on this list.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 am

Sonic Forces is still my only Switch purchase and I am not sorry about it. It was my gateway drug into speedrunning and it is stupid edgy fun, has multiple playable characters, and is broken as **** with a fantastic soundtrack. that is all i want in a Sonic game and I haven't had it in like 7 million years.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:51 pm

'Rayman Origins' and 'Rayman Legends' are jawsome.

'Shantae and the Pirate's Curse' is cool. 'Shovel Knight' rules.

I haven't gotten very far in 'Indivisible', but that one's in there. It kind of makes me think of 'Dust: An Elysian Tale', which also is rad.

Last 'Assassin's Creed' I finished was 'Brotherhood'. It's good.
boo----------he's a hurry-cane in all kinds of weather

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Y'all are bringing up games I definitely should have mentioned honorably--Shantae and the Pirates Curse, Rayman Origins and Legends, Mario Maker, Samus Returns, Tropical Freeze. Been a good couple years for games, huh?

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:09 pm

I'll limit my list to top 5, owing to my having perhaps played too few 2010s games for a top 10 list to be especially exclusive. I really loved each of the games on this top 5 list, though.

1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. God of War
4. Portal 2
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:20 pm

10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U, 2014)
9. Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS, 2012)
8. Sonic Mania (Multi, 2017)
7. Thimbleweed Park (Multi, 2017)
6. Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS, 2012)
5. Mega Man 10 (Multi, 2010)
4. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch, 2017)
3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch, 2018)
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Wii U/Switch, 2017)
1. Undertale (Multi, 2015)

Honorable Mentions:

Shovel Knight
Splatoon 2
Mario Kart 7
Mario Kart 8
Pokemon Sun/Moon
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
VVVVVV
Super Mario Maker (1 and 2)
Deltarune Ch. 1
Rivals of Aether
Untitled Goose Game

This was a decade full of fantastic indie games, and some pretty great Nintendo games, so I'm sure I'm missing a whole bunch. Also may or may not be some recency bias.
Last edited by DarkZero on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:40 pm

^Man, 'Thimbleweed Park' looks so rad. I've heard nothing but praise for it, ever since I learned about it during a Hsu and Chan spotlight. It's definitely on my to-do list.

...so do I lose all the gamer cred ever if I say I love Skylanders? I mean, I concede it was probably horrible, but the games were fun, I loved the idea, the pure workmanship they put into it, the wonderful voice-acting and music and character designs. It's so charming.

I played the everlovin out of 'Giants'. I loved Flashwing and Sonic Boom, the same way I loved Cubone during my Pokemon phase. I wanted to hang with them. They're so cool and tough.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:01 pm

1. Tetris Effect
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Rayman Legends
4. The Last of Us
5. Celeste
6. Super Mario Odyssey
7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
8. Red Dead Redemption
9. Fire Emblem Awakening
10. Marvel's Spider-Man

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:47 pm

yo how did I forget Tetris Effect

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:55 pm

It's a bummer I've been going one game per series so I couldnt make Tetris #1 and #2 with Tetris 99

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:04 pm

This was hard for me because lol, I don't play new games. Haven't even beaten several of these tbh. but okay here we go!
  • Dungeons of Dredmor ('11, PC): Hi, my name is Kat and I have a roguelike problem. But ok so I really like this one because it references all the other ones and I'm all about that. Also it's pretty customizable through the Steam Workshop which is nice. I have way too many hours logged in this game y'all
  • Stardew Valley ('16, PC): This game is SO GOOD. I've put so much time into this and on multiple farms (including a multiplayer one!). And they just dropped a HUGE update this week! I think I might start yet another new farm since it's no longer likely I'll be playing the new Animal Crossing on release. I just... aaaa. I love everything about this game. <3
  • Pokemon: Unova ('10/'12, DS): Gen V is my second-favorite gen, as well as my second-favorite postgame (although, full disclosure, I never did the Ultra Beast stuff in SuMo). Having gone back to it recently I'd forgotten what absolute bangers this game has! And the way the games mesh together is just really cool and something I felt was a little lacking in Alola.
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer ('15, PC): This game is so much fun! I give it special props for featuring a lot of composers that I like, especially Danny B and FamilyJules. I also love it because I get to use the dance pad mode with Bard mode for exercise. :P
  • Doki Doki Literature Club ('17, PC): Have I mentioned that I don't really play new games? I did enjoy this, though. Monika sends her regards.
  • Untitled Goose Game ('19, Switch): I may or may not be able to finish this one due to Life tee em, but I had an absolute blast watching ML play back in October and then starting a game myself a couple weeks ago. H O N K
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf ('12, 3DS): I also put a crapton of time into this game! This is honestly my favorite AC game so far, although I haven't played City Folk. Also I hated Wild World so much that I ended up selling it and I almost never do that. This is the game I bought a (purple!!) 3DS for.
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses ('19, Switch): Chalk it up to recency bias and also a need to list ten games, but I love Felix, Dimitri, Dimitri's story arc, and making fun of Ashe. The gameplay was very, very good--definitely high up on the list of FE games I've played, and that counts for something.
  • Cook, Serve, Delicious! ('12, PC): I watched s1x play this and just HAD to get it. It's SO FUN. Probably my favorite high-stress game. The first title gets a nod over the second because I like the campaign better, and it had global leaderboards. I was on one for like, a day once! My crowning achievement. Even if this game makes me hungry. ;]
  • Octopath Traveler ('17, Switch): Full disclosure, I got stuck about halfway through this game and never finished. Now that it's on PC I'll probably start over at some point and actually plan a party ahead of time because I think I need to in order to not get stuck. But the game is so beautiful, and I love the characters and music, and the battle system is really super neat.
No honorable mentions this time because lol, I don't play new games
also ian I feel obligated to inform that you listed Overwatch twice in your honorable mentions
all the lessons learned will carry us through the unknown

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:15 pm

oh crap thank you kat for reminding me about goose
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:51 pm

I'm not sure if ranking these was easy or hard. I'd say all of these games are pretty close.

10.) Breath of the Wild (2017)
9.) Transformers: Devastation (2015)
8.) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014)
7.) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (2013)
6.) Devil May Cry V (2019)
5.) Nier Automata (2017)
4.) Super Mario Odyssey (2017)
3.) Bloodborne (2015)
2.) A Link Between Worlds (2013)
1.) Dark Souis (2011)

Honorable mentions: Galaxy 2, SMT IV, Nioh, RE2make, probably more

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:50 am

Not a lot stands out to me based on what I played, so it's a pretty easy but solid top 10 (plus I leaned more into visual novels so that helps):

Top 10:

1. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
2. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
3. Danganronpa
4. Danganronpa 2
5. Gravity Rush
6. Chase: Cold Case Investigations - Distant Memories
7. Persona 4: Golden
8. Ys: Memories of Celceta
9. Muramasa: Rebirth
10. Killzone: Mercenary

Honorable Mentions:

Super Mario 3D Land
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Crimson Shroud

Top 10 (one per series):

1. Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
2. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
3. Danganronpa
4. Gravity Rush
5. Chase: Cold Case Investigations - DIstant Memories
6. Persona 4: Golden
7. Ys: Memories of Celceta
8. Muramasa: Rebirth
9. Killzone: Mercenary
10. Resident Evil: Revelations

Honorable Mentions:

Um...these again:

Super Mario 3D Land
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Crimson Shroud

I don't think I can have nostalgia for times so recent, and not very good. Hotel Dusk is very memorable, Theatrhythm Final Fantasy has music that makes me feel nostalgic, and I had a lot of fun playing Killzone: Mercenary, more than most online games. Not particularly nostalgic though. I think it was a pretty good time for games anyway.
Last edited by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:30 am

...I should check out the Theatrhythms. I like rhythm games, and I like Nobuo Uematso's biz a whole real lot.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:35 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:30 am
...I should check out the Theatnythms. I like rhythm games, and I like Nobuo Uematso's biz a whole real lot.
Yeah, it's great, plus it has Chrono Trigger too. It's DLC, unfortunately, but worth it.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:30 am

Man. 'Return of the Obra Dinn' has got its hooks in. It's so weird, man. I just started it tonight. Only nine fates solved, but I'm confident.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:46 am

1. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Dark Souls
4. Overwatch
5. Mario Kart 8
6. Super Mario Odyssey
7. Peronsa 5
8. Fire Emblem Awakening (I have yet to finish Three Houses so I can't, in good nature, say Three Houses until I finish it)
9. Tetris Effect
10. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (I feel like this is a controversial choice surrounding the drama with Kojima/Konami and how it came out unfinished, but I'm always a sucker for MGS and still replay it for creative ways to sneak around)

I feel like I would replace stuff with Undertale and Octopath Traveler if I actually played those games. They're still in my backlog.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”