How about a game of The Resistance?

Where forum games are played.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

boydster

How about a game of The Resistance?

Post by boydster » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm thinking about running a game of The Resistance here. We need at least 5 people to play a game. For anyone unfamiliar with the game, it's a pretty simple concept. You have a team of players called the Resistance, and a small team called the Spies. The Resistance team is trying to complete 3 missions successfully, and the Spies are trying to cause 3 mission failures.

Each round starts with a Team Leader nominating a team of people to run a mission. If the team is approved, the mission goes forward. If the team is rejected, leadership passes to the next person in line. Once there is an approved team on a mission, each team member sends me a PM stating whether they will support the mission or sabotage it. If everyone supports the mission, it passes. If anyone decides to sabotage, it fails.

Simple concept. Potential for lots of intrigue. I'm aware that this is a bit of a holiday long-weekend, so floating the idea now and if there is enough interest in the next few days, I'll kick a game off on Wednesday next week. Again, we'd need at least 5 people to make a go of it. The more, the merrier.

Player List:
DarkZero
Random User
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
smol Kat
Spritedude
Last edited by boydster on Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

smol Kat

Re: How about a game of The Resistance?

Post by smol Kat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:46 pm

I'm interested, but I'll be at pax unplugged next weekend and wouldn't be checking in much.
looking up into pure sunlight

boydster

Post by boydster » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 pm

smol Kat wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:46 pm
I'm interested, but I'll be at pax unplugged next weekend and wouldn't be checking in much.
Alright, well depending on the reception, if it looks like it makes sense to postpone until the following week I am certainly not opposed to the idea.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Also, games filled kinda slow back when we still played mafia here. So don't be surprised or dismayed if it takes a bit. :)

boydster

Post by boydster » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:55 pm

I'm entering into this with zero expectations. If it works out, it should be a lot of fun though. And if it doesn't, well, nothing ventured nothing gained right?

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm

sounds interesting, i'd be down to try it
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

boydster

Post by boydster » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:15 am

Alright shameless thread bump here. We've got one, possibly two players. Need a minimum of 5. Anyone else want to get in on this action? 9 out of 10 doctors agree, it's the best thing you can do on the entire internet.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Sure, I'll jump in on this.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Sounds complicated to my ape mind, but I'll try to give it a shot.

boydster

Post by boydster » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Awesome! That's 3 for sure, 4 if smol Kat jumps in. Almost there.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:16 pm

I'm now able to commit, but I should warn y'all that I literally won a Resistance tournament at PAX this morning. /flex

boydster

Post by boydster » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:35 pm

Alright, we got 4! One more and we've got something happening.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 am

I've never actually played before but I'm familiar with the game and rules somewhat, mostly from watching board game Youtube channels.

So uh, yeah, I'll join.

boydster

Post by boydster » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:24 pm

Woohoo! I will PM everyone their alignment in the morning (I'm Eastern time US) and we can get started tomorrow. There is still time to join if anyone else would like to get in.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:29 pm

You able to send PMs yet? I forget what the post minimum is (or is it a date joined minimum?? idk I've been here too long and made a zillion posts before really needing to PM anyone)

boydster

Post by boydster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:36 am

Boy I hope so... Just sent a test, it looks like it went through! Still can't give myself an avatar, but progress is progress.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:40 am

some of the post restrictions here are artifacts of a time when this board was too active to account for every new face coming in. honestly i think we can afford to be more lax about it now (also the fact that being allowed to have an avatar from day 1 is definitely the norm everywhere else now).
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

boydster

Post by boydster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:39 am

PMs should be hitting everyone’s inbox very soon, they are sitting in my outbox presently. I’m really not sure how long that waiting process takes, but rest assured, I have messaged everyone with their role. I will update this thread with complete instructions and we’ll get started soon.

boydster

Post by boydster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:48 am

The Resistance - Basic Rules and Setup

Objective:
The Resistance is a social deduction game with secret identities. Players are either members of the Resistance attempting to overthrow a malicious government, or Spies trying to thwart the Resistance. The Resistance wins the game if three Missions are completed successfully; the Spies win if three Missions fail. The Spies can also win if the Resistance is unable to organize the Mission Team at any point in the game (5 failed votes on a single mission).

Set Up:
We will have 5 players - 3 on Team Resistance and 2 on Team Spy. There will be a maximum of 5 missions (in order to allow for either 3 mission successes or 3 mission failures. The first mission will have a Mission Team of 2 people. The next, 3 people. Then 2, 3, and 3 people for the last 3 missions, respectively.

Game Play:
The game consists of several Rounds; each Round is comprised of a Team building phase and a Mission phase.
  • Building the team phase: The team building phase consists of the Leader picking the players that he would like on the Mission Team followed by all the players voting to approve/reject the Mission Team. There can be discussion prior to picking a team and calling for a vote, however keep in mind that 24 hours will be allotted for this phase at most, although if all the votes are in sooner the moderator may progress the game forward without further delay. If the Mission Team is rejected, Leadership passes to the next player to begin again. If the Mission Team is approved, play continues into the Mission phase. A majority decides, and in the event of a tie, it is considered a Mission Team rejection.
    • *The Mission Team vote is a public vote, done in the game thread, and begins when the Leader decides to call for it. Again, it must be complete prior to the beginning of the next phase.*
    Mission Phase: Each player on the Mission team must secretly decide to either support or sabotage the Mission. You'll PM the moderator with your decision. Once the PMs are sent, the moderator will reveal exactly what the votes were, BUT NOT WHO CAST EACH VOTE. The mission is successful only if all the revealed votes are votes in support of the mission. This next part should go without saying, but Resistance Operatives must choose to support the mission. Spies can choose to either support or sabotage the mission. Once the Mission is completed, the game advances to the next round and players begin the Team Building phase again.
Game End:
The game ends immediately after either three successful or three failed missions. The Resistance wins if three missions are successful. The Spies with if three missions fail. The Spies also win if five Mission Teams are rejected in a single Team Building phase (5 consecutive failed votes).

boydster

Post by boydster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:51 am

Each vote for a new Mission Team will have a different Team Leader. For this game, we’ll cycle through in order of sign-up.

DarkZero will be the first Team leader, followed by Random User, I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, smol Kat, and then Spritedude. If we make it through the list, we start back at the beginning.

Return to “Social Games and Role Playing”