Central gaming mechanics/designs you dislike

Moderator: X-3

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Central gaming mechanics/designs you dislike

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:46 pm

This wouldn't include something like knockback in platformers but more like integral crafting systems or open world game design.

Those are all things I dislike, actually, including knockback (especially if it's really bad). Another one would be an over-reliance or excessive emphasis on combo systems in fighting games. One of the reasons Street Fighter 2 is still my favorite game is because you don't necessarily need to learn complicated, difficult combos to excel. They're still there but they share the spotlight much more with pokes and grabs than later games in the series (and genre at large) have.

So I guess my nightmare game would be an open world fighting game with combo-crafting (and knockback, why not).

What stuff annoys you in games?

Sim Kid

Re: Central gaming mechanics/designs you dislike

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:34 am

The famous https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GuideDangIt.

However, sometimes, it's because of bad testing - they never tought to get an outsider in. This is why I say Arin Hanson should be a tester - because if you can teach him the mechanics and if he can figure out what's going on, you know yo did it right.

People also just don't want to admit ID10T/Arrin Hanson/DSP errors.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:44 am

Level scaling (mostly) stinks.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:17 am

random encounter sucks and i also hate open world design

edit: also tend to dislike turn based battle systems unless they also have realtime elements (paper mario, mother, etc). i mean i definitely still enjoy pokemon and persona but i will take tales over them any day of the week, purely battle system wise

Apiary Tazy

Post by Apiary Tazy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:35 am

This isn't a problem anymore (because lol mainstream 2d platforming games), but man is the idea of companies seeing a popular thing and not getting what makes it unique more prevalent then the games that made their characters fast because of Sonic only to design a generic video game level around that speed. I experienced this s**t in Claymates and Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings a little bit but it still ruins the flow of everything. Instead of Sonic's balance between speed set-pieces and enemy placement you'll either be stopping and starting through the whole game, or jumping at max speed and hoping you land somewhere safe because patience machine broke.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:15 pm

OK I would actually like to take back my earlier hot take. I thought about it and I realized a lot of realtime battle systems are honestly not great. Like I was thinking of non-Tales examples and all I could come up with was Kingdom Hearts and I honestly couldn't play KH because its controls felt super sluggish to me. So I guess Tales spoiled me.

I still dislike random encounter (it is less of an issue than it used to be, but it really stresses me out to get unexpectedly interrupted and forget where I was going), and I still dislike open world (I honestly like linearity in games a lot). But a mediocre real time battle system feels significantly worse than a mediocre turn based battle system lol. Tales of the Abyss has my favorite battle system of all time but Kingdom Hearts feels horrible imo and I have a much better time playing Persona 3. So in that regard I think it's more about good implementation and I redact my earlier opinion.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:59 pm

^ Turn-based battles are usually just boring at worst, but functional. In a game with a mediocre turn-based battle system you can still enjoy everything else. With an action game, if it feels and plays like **** it's a roadblock. You're actively doing bad because it sucks and it's almost as boring as turn-based anyway because it SUCKS, except now you gotta pay attention to your **** camera and attacks, etc.

Random encounters, it depends. I like them just fine in 2D Pokemon games (although a fully fleshed out 3D game should have them just living everywhere, so making you climb a tree or something to get a Kakuna, etc) and can tolerate them otherwise, but games like Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, and Earthbound handle it the best by having them on-screen.

I definitely prefer linear games too, especially platformers and RPGs. They can and should have an illusion of freedom and some options but very rarely is a game good when you're plopped into a giant dead map with fetch quests and main quests that feel like fetch quests. Pokemon would benefit from one but forcing it into everything like Metal Gear is just like, why.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:22 pm

you guys realize just how good the kingdom hearts games would be if the central battling was even a little less like a chore??? like we're talking about all-time level

wait

where are you going

why are you running away from me

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:23 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. I would absolutely be one of those people making 30 minute long Kingdom Hearts lore YouTube videos if the battle system rocked. I can tell that would be pretty up there in terms of my brand of ****. Unfortunately,

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Kingdom Hearts still needs to balance the Disney/Square content better. A focus on original characters and concepts is the way to go, but Disney just makes up way too much of the content. The whole selling point was this bizarre mashup but it's totally one-sided.

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:09 pm

the fact that Final Fantasy characters are basically nonexistent in KH3 is such a bummer.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:16 pm

Yeah, I didn't even have any interest in it at all finding that out. Zero. I remember TWEWY getting into one of the games and it made me think they were gonna make it a whole Square & Disney thing instead of just Final Fantasy, but then they just did the opposite of that lmao.

Having Crono, Geno, etc along with the Disney cast would be awesome.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm

Random encounters are the worst. They make exploration a huge pain when you don't want combat and it down when you do, and they're so archaic at a technological level that even RPG Maker games generally don't have them anymore.

I generally don't like crafting systems of the "three sticks and a rock make a rock on a stick" variety because they add grinding to progression without doing anything interesting. In something like Atelier, where the act of crafting is actually a system instead of a resource check, or Factorio, where putting the resources together is a puzzle, it's fine.

Low random chances for important things. I don't care if a common monster drops different things 50% of the time, because that adds some variety, or if there's some crazy Easter Egg with a .01% chance of triggering, because you don't want those to be common, but making a useful item rare by having it only appear after five hours of grinding isn't fun. Replacing these things with even a really simple minigame (to determine Pokemon IVs, say) or a deterministic check within the existing mechanics (do 5k poison damage to get the poison poo drop) would almost always be more interesting and certainly more respectful of people's time.

DarkZero

Post by DarkZero » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:12 pm

As someone with carpal tunnel syndrome I'm really glad that we're past the days of mandatory waggle controls. They're neat in concept, and fairly intuitive to use, but they really start to grate on me on games with longer average play sessions. Especially because a lot of examples didn't do anything that couldn't just be mapped to a button anyway. That's why I'm grateful for those Wii games that let you use Gamecube controllers.

Some games still use waggle controls like Super Mario Odyssey, but are thankfully optional since all of those moves could also be done with button/stick commands.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ
Also if any admins are reading this, please let me into Nameless!

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:43 pm

^Yeah, and I think a lot of it was novelty as well. I replayed Twilight Princess about a year ago and went to great lengths to get motion controls working on the totally real Wii I was using only to discover that they were by and large not as cool as I remembered.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:45 pm

^this is off topic but how on earth did you manage that
looking up into pure sunlight

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:52 pm

There are third party sensor bars. The remote can't tell the difference as long as it has Motion Plus.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:02 pm

I hate turn-based combat, mostly for the inability to *react*.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:06 pm

I actually feel the opposite re: turn-based combat. Gives me time to think.
looking up into pure sunlight

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:59 pm

A lot of Wii games have major accessibility issues because the motion control thing was NEW AND EXCITING so they opted to *force* you to use them instead of *allowing* you to use them.

I replayed TP on Wii recently, I honestly still like them just fine (they are significantly better than Skyward Sword's), but they by no means should have been a mandated necessity to play the game. They were cool as **** when brand new though.

(Related, I was one of the people who thought Skyward Sword's was THE COOLEST **** EVER on release, and although I do not share that opinion anymore I definitely think it was a neat thing to try; if poorly implemented and a bad choice to not ALSO give the option to use button controls instead.)

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”